Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Flight Spells & Line of Sight

Go down 
+2
MrDancyPants
Aipha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Flight Spells & Line of Sight Empty
PostSubject: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 14:08

Basically the question is whether all the different Flight spells (Flight of Zimmeran, Wings of Darkness, etc.) requires any form of Line of Sight to whoever you might be charging?

We play with the FAQ Line of Sight rules, but still I believe we have had many charges, where the spellcaster could not see the target. No one has questioned it, and I don't know why; perhaps because it says, that you may use it to charge with, but nothing about you needing to see the target being charged. But the problem is, that Line of Sight is not mentioned in other spells either, so I suppose we have just forgotten to change these ones according to the FAQ.

Anyone who can be of assistance? scratch
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 14:25

The spell says you can move anywhere within 12" and if you go into contact with an enemy then it "counts as" charging. You basically have a 12" radius where anyone in it can get Superman'd.
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 16:15

Wording for the spells is pretty explicit that you don't use the normal charge rules, but instead just get to move, and if you happen to contact an enemy you count as charging. Note that this not only means no LoS required, but that hiding doesn't help, nor are intercepts allowed. If you find this to be unbalanced a simple house rule to make the spells use normal rules for charging wouldn't be out of order.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 16:26

I believe I should have re-read the spells before posting this. I guess we have played with it right all along, but I remembered the wording to be somewhat different. Also, I do find it a bit 'over the top', but usually it's just a weak sorcerer moving into close combat, so it's not a big problem Razz

Thanks for your assistance!
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug 2014 - 16:47

Just remember, if you find the Alchemist's Laboratory, you can give your big bruiser hero Academic access, then Lesser Magic, Flight of Zimmeran, and suddenly Superman is leaping tall buildings in a single bound.
Back to top Go down
Josiah_Blessed
Youngblood
Youngblood
Josiah_Blessed

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 20:48

The only other argument that may still be there is that it could be argued that you need line of sight to the location you are traveling to within 12", ie you need to be able to see where you are landing. I'm looking through the spellcasting rules again and not seeing anything about line of sight for spells in general, but I'm sure there is something.

As Mr. DancyPants points out flight is a terrifying addition to a combat monster. A Vampire for the Undead, for instance, only needs the Tome as he has access to academic skills from the beginning. Coupled with his high movement he can drop onto someone on the first turn probably if set up correctly or if he has sprint in addition to flight.
Back to top Go down
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 20:57

I would gather that with flying spells you wouldn't need a line of sight persay when going to that spot with in the range. Mainly because the model flys and gets a bird's eye view of the battleground. Once he/she is in the air. They can easliy see which they would want to go and land.
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 22:55

Josiah_Blessed wrote:
As Mr. DancyPants points out flight is a terrifying addition to a combat monster. A Vampire for the Undead, for instance, only needs the Tome as he has access to academic skills from the beginning. Coupled with his high movement he can drop onto someone on the first turn probably if set up correctly or if he has sprint in addition to flight.

Give the same vampire something like Sprint, and just watch your opponent start crying.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 0:12

MrDancyPants wrote:
Josiah_Blessed wrote:

Give the same vampire something like Sprint, and just watch your opponent start crying.

Already have that in one of my warbands; yes, it's a laugh ^_^ 62 exp with Flight of Zimmeran, Fires of U'zuhl, Resilient, S5, Gromril Armour, 2 Swords and a Shield. Of course he has a little Familiar as well, allowing him to re-roll his spellcast rolls. Unfortunately only 5 increases left...
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 3:25

Earlier you said you play with the FAQ line of sight rules, which rules were you referring to?

TC FAQ wrote:
Q. Can spells be cast on a model out of line of sight to the caster or which are hidden? What about spells which simply affect all models within a certain radius of the caster?

A. Spells cannot be targeted at models which are out of sight. However, models which are out of sight may still be affected by spells with an area effect provided another model is targeted and they fall within the spells’ radius.
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 4:45

With those FAQ, though, Flight can still allow the charge because the target of the flight spell is the caster whom, I'm assuming, is always within line of sight with himself. He then simply gets placed anywhere within 12" of his starting position and if that anywhere happens to be in combat, then is sucks to be the guy who just had an armored vampire Superman on top of him.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 12:32

Von Kurst wrote:
Earlier you said you play with the FAQ line of sight rules, which rules were you referring to?

TC FAQ wrote:
Q. Can spells be cast on a model out of line of sight to the caster or which are hidden? What about spells which simply affect all models within a certain radius of the caster?

A. Spells cannot be targeted at models which are out of sight. However, models which are out of sight may still be affected by spells with an area effect provided another model is targeted and they fall within the spells’ radius.
Yes, those.

From the comments and from the spell description, I believe I can only agree, that he can charge anything within 12".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flight Spells & Line of Sight   Flight Spells & Line of Sight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flight Spells & Line of Sight
Page 1 of 1