Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

fire rules in mordheim

Go down 
+3
Aipha
RationalLemming
lesdog1470
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lesdog1470
Youngblood
Youngblood
lesdog1470

Trading Reputation : 0

rules - fire rules in mordheim Empty
PostSubject: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 6:56

My group has run the fire rules for a couple years now and its really hard to balance especially in multiplayer games. What is the opinion of the fire rules and do the various groups on here use them? If you use them have you had many issues with it being overpowered?
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 7:52

There are two Games Workshop published sources of fire rules in Mordheim. These are:
1) fairly comprehensive rules in "Let the Damned Burn" from Town Cryer 8, and
2) basic rules in "League of Ostermark" from Fanatic Magazine 1.

The rules from the "League of Ostermark" article were expanded further in Border Town Burning.

The published rules for fire require a roll for the effect of the fire at the start of every TURN. I feel that this is too frequent in 1-v-1 games and it is definitely too frequent in multiplayer games. For example, in a 4-player game if someone sets a building on fire then I don't think that it is fair that the person who had a turn before the fire was lit has to sit through THREE rolls on the Burning House table before they get a chance to move their warriors away.

In my group we play that the roll on the Burning House table only occurs once every ROUND. This means that the fire doesn't get too far out of hand between the turns of any individual player.

I also went a step further for my group. While I liked what was done in BTB, I still found those rules lacking the depth of the rules from "Let the Damned Burn". Therefore I have created an article that combines the rules for fire from these three sources and tries to be fairly comprehensive in covering rarer scenarios not covered by those articles (e.g. how fire spreads due to windy weather).
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6hZG8hQqDwrcGZlSG5aWWVCU1k/edit

(Please note that the rules for setting vehicles on fire have been shown to be too harsh. Also, the rules for setting boats on fire were taken from Mutiny in Marienburg but missed an important aspect that in MiM the boat doesn't automatically sink so the rules as written for boats are also too harsh. I recommend that you do not use these two sections in their current state.)
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
lesdog1470
Youngblood
Youngblood
lesdog1470

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 10:19

So I went through alot of that link you posted and its just awesome. You guys put a ton of work into that page and I can only aspire to get my group as organized as you are. Thank you for the speedy response! Im gonna snoop around some more if you dont mind. Lol
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 11:25

I would also recommend RationalLemming's rewrite of the rules. We use them in my group and are very fond of them (no one but me actually know they're not official ^_^).
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 11:35

No worries. Smile I know that Von Kurst plays with fire in his gaming group (he uses 'Let the Damned Burn') so hopefully you will get some other people sharing their experiences with fire (and possible house rules) also.

@Aipha... Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug 2014 - 12:14

Sounds great, will definitly give them a try Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 15:49

So baiscly, instead of rolling for the fire on every turn, te fire gets it's own turn. Usually after everyone else's turn.
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 3:24

There's a further set of rules for burning buildings in the Random Happenings article. A house on fire causes a S3 hit to anyone inside it unless they move out in the turn in catches fire. Anyone within 2" of the walls take a S2 hit unless they move away in the turn in catches fire. It continues to have those effects through the game and requires a fear test to enter.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 3:39

Quote :
2) basic rules in "League of Ostermark" from Fanatic Magazine 1.

Arrgh! These 'basic rules' consist of one paragraph which merely describe how to burn houses in the scenario Battle for the Farm. Horrible! rules - fire rules in mordheim 120792

Quote :
I know that Von Kurst plays with fire in his gaming group
We do not play with fire. We only use fire in a safe and controlled manner under adult supervision. clown
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2014 - 12:35

Von Kurst wrote:
Quote :
I know that Von Kurst plays with fire in his gaming group
We do not play with fire.  We only use fire in a safe and controlled manner under adult supervision. clown

This, I find hard to believe Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fire rules in mordheim   rules - fire rules in mordheim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fire rules in mordheim
Page 1 of 1