Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dwarf Treasure Hunters

Go down 
+12
MrDancyPants
RationalLemming
Phantasmal_fiend
mweaver
Saluksic
Lord 0
folketsfiende
Wyrdstone Dave
elde
Skavenslayer
SerialMoM
butthole_serfdom
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 0:40

My bad. I just always assumed that the warrior you recruit had access to the starting list as he was equipped when he left his homeland before the warband recruited him. I will have to start enforcing this rule now.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 1:31

I've never considered two swords and expert swordsman, but that could be really good. Combined with Master of Blades I could parry two attacks on matches or beats, and reroll all my attacks when I charged. I'd loose out on the dwarven ax cutting edge and rerolling parries, but re-rolling attacks is better.

Speaking of such things, I was exploring a lava tube cave complex in Washington state this weekend with my friends. They know how much I like dwarfs, so there were plenty of antics.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 2:07

The lava tube exploration sounds like fun, Saluksic.

The only problem with giving a stubby-legged rockeater expert swordsman is he is going to be on the receiving end of a charge more often than he is going to be able to charge.
Back to top Go down
crobat
Youngblood
Youngblood
crobat

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 11:12

How silly is this, for a new band:
Noble, G. armor
Engineer, G. Armor
Slayer,
Slayer,

Dwarf slayer Mercenary, 2 axes
Halfling Mercenary Bow, Pothelm, dagger

Stash: G. armor
--------------------------
basic tactic is, to survive first few games, getting enough gold, to properly equip whole gang and buy some shooters. If need volunteer rout, I can exchange my 2 mercenaries, which both together cost me 40 GC... while on average income per game is around 65 i think.

Point is to get Best armor in game for 225gc instead of 675gc Smile
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 12:46

The main problem is that since you have no starting henchmen, you have no way early on to obtain the 5th and 6th heroes, who can only be obtained when henchmen are promoted. I think henchmen are a much better starting investment than the hired swords.
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 15:14

Additionally, in order to route, you have to lose one of your four precious heroes, which puts them in serious danger of serious injuries. Starting out, you'll want at least a couple of henchmen as fodder/LGT bait
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 16:22

crobat wrote:
Dwarf slayer Mercenary, 2 axes

Sorry, but:

Dwarf Troll Slayer Hired Sword wrote:
May be Hired: Mercenaries and Witch Hunters may hire a Dwarf Troll Slayer.

crobat wrote:
Point is to get Best armor in game for 225gc instead of 675gc Smile

I have done this before and I agree that it's a good thing (except it's 225gc instead of 450gc if you're buying 3 midgame). I'll give an example on what I would do later in this post.

mweaver wrote:
The main problem is that since you have no starting henchmen, you have no way early on to obtain the 5th and 6th heroes, who can only be obtained when henchmen are promoted.  I think henchmen are a much better starting investment than the hired swords.

Couldn't agree more.

MrDancyPants wrote:
Additionally, in order to route, you have to lose one of your four precious heroes, which puts them in serious danger of serious injuries. Starting out, you'll want at least a couple of henchmen as fodder/LGT bait

I am afraid that this is not correct. He would, as he suggested, be able to lose both Hired Swords and then rout. Still not optimal.

So, on to my suggestion, if you wish to do this:

First of all, start with 4 warriors instead of 6. My way of doing this:

Noble
Engineer
Dwarf Troll Slayer
Clansman (they are the best lads Heroes imo.)

Equip the Noble with: Dwarf Axe, Gromril Armour, Helmet & Shield
Equip the Engineer with: Dagger
Equip the Troll Slayer with: Dagger
Equip the Clansman with: Dagger
Buy this for your stash: 2xGromril Armour, 1xDwarf Axe
Gold left: 5gc

Why? First of all, you can throw your Clansman in a fight alone, let him die, pick your stuff up and run. Usually you're underdog and will receive 2 - 3 xp for the battle. This will, provided your Clansman survives, give you a chance for LGT. Next game you do the same, until your Engineer has Extra Tough, then you can give him his Gromril. The other you can save for your Lads Hero. The reason the Noble has his items on, is that he is 'irreplaceable', i.e. you cannot buy a new, so you have to protect him, if something bad happens.

When you have Tarot Cards & Wyrdstone Pendulums you can easily get '6 6 6' on the exploration and get free hired swords.
Back to top Go down
MrDancyPants
Knight
Knight
MrDancyPants

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 17:08

Ah, you are correct. I misread that part about routing.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 18:02

In my mind leveling up lads is the most important part of the early game.

A dwarf swarm works well, I find. Dwarfs are hard to kill because of Hard to Kill, so they are at a particular disadvantage when along and knocked over. Travel in packs, don't get caught out alone! Want to be rich and tough? You don't need Gromril armor to be tough, but you need lots of heroes to be rich. Heroes are farmed out of fertile fields of henchmen, so get as many as you can. More bodies is less chance of a sunned dwarf going OoA.

I've always been pretty lucky with aggression and numbers right off the bat. A small warband that concedes the field for the first few games seems to leave a lot of opportunity on the table. I'd be thrilled to fight someone trying that strategy.

I like to go max heroes from the start, and pack in as many henchmen as I can get.
Back to top Go down
crobat
Youngblood
Youngblood
crobat

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2014 - 23:50

Thank you mates Smile your posts thought me a lot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Treasure Hunters   hunters - Dwarf Treasure Hunters - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Treasure Hunters
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3