Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Casting Spells Issues

Go down 
+2
Pervavita
SierscMaster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SierscMaster

SierscMaster

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Casting Spells Issues Empty
PostSubject: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeThu 28 Feb 2013 - 16:36

Hello everybody, I'm new here and in Mordheim. As I read this forum i can tell without doubt that you know what you're talking about so I have 2 question about casting spells to you:
1. Can my caster cast spell after charge? Declare charge -> Cast spell -> Engage in close combat? Or maybe casting spell is allowed only in 2nd phase of close combat or only instead of HtH attacks?
2. Can I cast spells on model that is involved into close combat? If I can, should I roll which model I hit? And what happens when I want to cast spell on model attacked by my caster and my other warrior in close combat?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeThu 28 Feb 2013 - 17:19

Welcome to the forums SierscMaster.

1: You can charge and cast a spell unless the spell states you can't use it in close combat.
example like "Silver Arrows of Arha" in Lesser Magic states:
"Unlike other spells, this cannot be cast whilst in hand-to-hand combat."

And yes you can use spells and do h2h combat otherwise spells/prayers like "The Hammer of Sigmar" would be useless as the spell is cast on the caster and gives the caster a +2 strength and some other perks.

2: You can cast spells into close combat... again unless stated that you can't (I can't think of a spell like this at the moment).
You do not roll who you hit as spells Auto hit there target so long as the cast is cast (or if it states you must roll to hit). So you pick a target when casting and that's who gets the spell on them/against them.

And what happens to spells cast when your guys are in close combat with the model that's the target.
You roll to cast the spell, if it fails then go into h2h. If it passes then resolve all effects of the spell normally then go into h2h combat... so if it knocks down/stuns the model then roll to wound/auto wound and take them OOA!
Back to top Go down
SierscMaster

SierscMaster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeThu 28 Feb 2013 - 17:33

In my last campaign I face Undead warband and the Necromancer which was just killing machine! He charging his enemies, casting Lifestealer on 8+ with reroll then make 4 attack with his swords it's realy crushing combo that I underestimate. But now everything is clear and thank you for your answer.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeThu 28 Feb 2013 - 17:48

That does sound like a nice combo, but would fail on me as I have vary bad luck with casting.
Though to get to that point he had to spend a lot of time investing in it and some lucky rolls on advancment (5 levels). Still toughness 4 is the best that necro can get so he is still easy to kill if you get the charge or can shoot him.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeThu 28 Feb 2013 - 21:26

Life stealer is a real bane.

I currently play a Necrarch warband and the vampire got this spell, mind focus and sorcery. With his acolyte he can cast through, the opponent cannot hide from lifesteals and I once saw my vampire going up to 6 Wounds in the same battle.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeFri 1 Mar 2013 - 1:42

2) I believe that some gaming groups do not like "Silver Arrows of Arha" in Lesser Magic to be cast into close combat. This is because it seems to be treated like a missle attack unlike other ranged spells. This is likely a house rule though.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeFri 1 Mar 2013 - 5:06

Quote :
This is likely a house rule though.
Why would that need to be a house rule? The RAW doesn't seem vague. The spell must follow 'normal shooting rules', one of which is that you may not shoot into melee nor may you shoot any missle weapon except pistols while engaged in melee.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeFri 1 Mar 2013 - 6:47

@VK... The rules are listed below and do not state that the spell should be treated like a missile weapon. The rules only state that the spell cannot be shot while engaged in Close Combat and uses the casters BS. These are both the same as shooting a missile weapon so it is logical to apply the rule that the arrows cannot be shot into Close Combat with a friendly warrior. However, it isn't explicitly mentioned by RAW. It is my understanding that most gaming groups recommend this restriction and I agree but it seems more like a house rule than an official rule unless Da Bank ruled on it in the past which is likely.

Quote :
Silver Arrows of Arha Difficulty 7
Silvery arrows appear from thin air and circle around the wizard, shooting out to strike his foes.
Unlike other spells, this cannot be cast whilst in hand-to-hand combat. The spell summons D6+2 arrows which the wizard can use to shoot against one enemy model. The arrows have a range of 24". Use the wizard’s own Ballistic Skill to determine whether he hits or not, but ignore movement, range and cover penalties. The arrows cause one S3 hit each.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
garathiel
General
General
garathiel

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeFri 1 Mar 2013 - 19:36

It says "arrows" and shooting using ab .. Smile .. The raw Here, i think, should be interpreted in the better way.
(For coerence)

its not Clear if the arrows are Magic or not .. It doesn't say so .. But i can't remember if there was a faq that Tells "all attacks in Magic phase are Magic hits.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garathielpaints
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitimeSat 2 Mar 2013 - 3:15

RationalLemming wrote:
@VK... The rules are listed below and do not state that the spell should be treated like a missile weapon. The rules only state that the spell cannot be shot while engaged in Close Combat and uses the casters BS. These are both the same as shooting a missile weapon so it is logical to apply the rule that the arrows cannot be shot into Close Combat with a friendly warrior. However, it isn't explicitly mentioned by RAW. It is my understanding that most gaming groups recommend this restriction and I agree but it seems more like a house rule than an official rule unless Da Bank ruled on it in the past which is likely.

Quote :
Silver Arrows of Arha Difficulty 7
Silvery arrows appear from thin air and circle around the wizard, shooting out to strike his foes.
Unlike other spells, this cannot be cast whilst in hand-to-hand combat. The spell summons D6+2 arrows which the wizard can use to shoot against one enemy model. The arrows have a range of 24". Use the wizard’s own Ballistic Skill to determine whether he hits or not, but ignore movement, range and cover penalties. The arrows cause one S3 hit each.

Doh! Curse the Living Rulebook! Sorry about that. Never noticed the change. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Casting Spells Issues   Casting Spells Issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Casting Spells Issues
Page 1 of 1