Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+204
VoN ~ KRiMSoN
caratacos
Beastofburden
Coppermind
Benji
hexenjagar
Trulsa
Dreadgrass
Soulblight
Thumz
Kajiya
Tonka
Plutz
Karskin
Dorkman
sir-ronsalot
scottypotty
Reg06
Targetlock
Crimson Cobra
Frankdrabbytt
Contempt
_JC_
teh orc player
Rawfist Bloodyknuckle
Dahag
blindrage19
L.T.86
Lord 0
Stirlander
CygnusMaximus
Eisenblume
SiliconSicilian
Judo
Eliazar
Cian Shieldbiter
alveiz
BigEasy1022
GreyWolf
Exodite
Heart
hwd
Drongol
sartori
Keylan
Anthonius
crouching lictor
Zarkam
yugnat
pascal the rascal
Splendor
kidbone
toemasss
ChildOfKhorne
VilleVicious
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Figgy
Sybylla
Sven The Mighty
Mortimer
Back-Up Ninja
BurnTehWitch
Horatio
wyldhunt
Plague Docter
SoldierOfFortune
JAFisher44
Girr
Joker2and53
Fungomungus
hannibalisfun
rain9441
Svenn
kerill
perfesser
Jadex
lordofslack
black mantis
Wolfen
Stinkeye
Archnomad
Arathorn
way2blaster
Davespaceman
Dulu
mortosthegodly
Moonknight
embitteredsoul
Polar Star
cjp
Mexican_Ninja
Ancre
Tewfik
ImUrDentist
Goonstah
TarZaN
Rituality
Popmouth
outbreak
Tom O'Bedlam
Jaquemart
Trick3003
walkonearth
tuxedokman
Citizen Sade
extraman92
PorkSocks
Earthcrosser599
Horatius
The_Trans
darthblud
dwarflord17404
heylookitsmatt
squattingmouse
Crowbarr
robertrunner
Hamsterjoe
Dmig
Hans Grüber
Pentagathus
jerk_burger
usagi_tetsu
Goosetipher
Alcaeus
Blackjack13
Captain Yesterday
FrostyLobster
Von Kurst
Death Jester
magokiron
Fallen
Identity
PitFighterTrainer
Randomtask
werekin
Lord Xi
Ram Rock Ed First
Xarx
Chad
RandomRaefe
Drud
Inferny
Hawkeye
Deatheven13
Skavenblight
atzerath
Elmoth
Burlok Blackaxe
Oldcastle
CrazyOrc88
AjaxUSA
Ralron
GMillar
xarly22
VonStreusel
Fishman
catferret
bolerus
Unwanted
Chitriel
Ezekiel
scotty
Barden The Butcher
Random
Duce
witch hunter commander
Skavenslayer
rhuntar
ironbull
Exarch Thomo
thatirwinfella
DeafNala
Asgath
Lord Archaon
Jacky-Boy
Axel
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Pathfinder Dubstyles
lord siwoc
Jänis
Gen.Steiner
Boehm
arch heretic
organboy
zoglug
da green one
Da Bank
Konqueror
cianty
Pfreck
WarbossKurgan
barrskog
JohnYoung
Ashton
Tortiou
Brahm Tazoul
Loki77515
Yorik
Etienne de Beaugard
Hellfoot
Tagnator
Admin Tom
Erkwin
matt
208 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul 2009 - 0:09

Border Town Burning - Black Dwarf Warband 500gc

Sorcerer [95gc]/ sword (for parry)
Bull Centaur [106gc]/ 2 Hammers.
Goaler [60gc]/ Steel Whip.
1 Chaos Dwarf / hammer and shield [48gc]

2x Chaos Dwarf / blunderbuss [140 gc]
3 Informers / sling [51gc]

- the DWARFS get free daggers, right?
Only one Gaoler, but able to get 3 CDs and 3 Infs. With the 2 blunderbusses and 3 informers I expect to lay down some heavy fire. Will play sorc defensively and use bull centaur and h2h CD for heavy support. Pretty crappy h2h but fairly shooty. Thanks pfreck and cianty for earlier black dwarf list and analysis. All advice appreciated as I am new to Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul 2009 - 8:52

Starting with less than the maximum number of Heroes is unacceptable. For any warband. Smile

Seriously, you need every single Hero otherwise you will heavily suffer in the income phase and won't be able to buy new warriors and equipment. Dwarfs can already start with only 4 instead of the usual 5 Heroes. Taking even less would be an immense disadvantage.

Also, if you browse one page back, you can see some starting lists for the CD, that were posted recently.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Arathorn
Captain
Captain
Arathorn

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2009 - 13:26

Next to my succesfull Averland warband, including Heller, my Bergjaeger with Bs 6, Quick shot and trick shooter equiped with a longbow and hunting arrows, I'm working on a new warband, and this time it's Skaven. I've never played anything Skaven before, not even in Warhammer, so I was totaly new to them.

This is what I came up with:

Assassin Adept (60), 72
- Dagger
- Sling 2
- Sword 10

Black Skaven (40), 75
- Fighting claws, 35

Black Skaven (40), 75
- Fighting claws, 35

Eshin Sorcerer (45), 45
- Dagger

Nightrunner (20), 22
- Dagger
- Sling 2

Nightrunner (20), 22
- Dagger
- Sling 2

2 Verminkin (40), 60
- Dagger
- Spears 20

2 Verminkin (40), 66
- Dagger
- Sword 20
- Club 6

4 Giant rats (60), 60

497 Gold Crowns

I was told Fighting Claws on your Black Skaven was the way to go, so that's what i started with. Slings seem very useful too, so I got them for my Nightrunners and Assassin Adept, since they have the best Bs of my heroes. Then I got a Sorcerer for the extra income and I love wizards.

For my henchmen I choose 4 Giant Rats for screening, and then I choose 2 groups of Verminkin. The Sword/Club combination is a great one, 2 attacks, parry, and one attack with a greater chance to stun. The Spears I got cause I'll be playing a lot against humans, and they have only I3 most of the time, so I can get a good advantage from the I4 of the Verminkin.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2009 - 18:44

Looks playable Very Happy .
The fighting claws are a matter of personal taste, they are good but prevent you from using any other weapons - so you can´t give your black skaven ranged weapons. I prefer to give them swords and slings.
Nightrunners with their low weaponskill benefit most from swords, if you have money to spare give them some (but this is low priority).
Depending on the spell you get you might want t give your sorceror a
ranged weapon (in all likelihood he won´t cast every turn, so give him something to do).
I always put my starting henchmen into one-man (or rat Wink ) groups to maximise my chances to get another hero (irrelevant for skaven unless you want to replace the night runners) or good advances like a second attack. And i like to keep them expendable, so luxury items like swords are a no go for me. More models are always better than equipment, at least early in a campaign. I would drop the swords and one giant rat in order to get another verminkin (giant rats don´t get XP, so start your verminkin early on the road to advancement).
Equipping some more models with slings would also raise your combat power and versatility, but don´t overdo it as it is not much fun to play against maxed skaven.
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2009 - 21:42

Here is my marauder warband I plan on playing today. I think I took Cianti's advice and maxed out the number of heroes. Thanks in advance for any help with this list.

MARAUDER WARBAND 499

Heroes 304

-1. Chieftain w/ hammer 98, dagger

-2. Seer w/ sword 55, dagger – mark of the serpent

-3. Condemned 55

-4. x2 Champions (45) 2x hammers each, 102, daggers

Henchmen 210

-5. 3x Marauders, 1 hammer each, 114 daggers

-5. 5x Warhounds 75

I removed your black font colour as it was very unreadable. Try to avoid such colours in the future. Smile
- cianty
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2009 - 23:26

Which tribe did you choose?

So are you playing marauders or chaos dwarfs now? Smile
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 0:46

trying both Marauders and Chaos Dwarfs. Tribe? Question: Marauders List special skill CHOSEN OF CHAOS says use max profile for "Warriors of Chaos" - where can I find this? My friend just put max characteristics for Possessed - is that wrong? Thanks Smile

I am currently converting my Chaos Dwarf warband (pics to follow - in the correct forum of course) so i have to use dwarf proxy models
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 0:58

The tribes of Chaos are listed at the end of the warband after the spell lists.

The Warriors of Chaos profile is on page one of the warband rules, directly below the Marauders profile.
Back to top Go down
lordofslack

lordofslack

PostSubject: Restless Dead   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 18:53

First time playing and seeing if this looks good for a RD band for a campaign.

Lich(Shield - We are using the +1AS House rule) - Rolled Lifestealer and Spell of Doom 130g
Necro(Short Bow and Hammer) Spell of Doom 48g
Grave Guards x 3 (Short Bow and Hammer x 2) 138g
Wights x3(Short Bow and Hammer x 2) 123 - Split into 3 henchman groups.
Zombie x 4 60g

499g

I figure this gives me 12 for my max war band size. I went with the shortbows for having a large amount of mediocre range if needed but I could drop short bows for some longbows just on the GG's.
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 15:29

First time using these forums and looking for some feedback/discussion on a Lizardmen starting warband. I have played them a few times before, but never used the "Mark of the Old Ones" for the Saurus Hero. (The mark is 50gc and allows the player to change one of the models failed dice roles into a succesfull one once per battle). I feel like using it now, but want to keep as much models as possible (quantity > quality), but the following warband proposal might be a bit low on equipment. Looking forward to comments Smile

========== Heroes ==========

Skink Priest - - - - - - - 60
short bow - - - - - - - - 5
reptile poisson - - - - - - 5

Saurus Totem warrior - - 60
shield + sword - - - - - - 15
Mark of the Old Ones - - - 50

Skink Great Crests - - - - 30
short bow - - - - - - - - - 5

Skink Great Crests - - - - 30

========== Henchmen =========

Saurus brave - - - - - - - 40
spear + shield - - - - - - - 15

spear + shield - - - - - - - 15

sword + free dagger - - - 10

Skink Brave - - - - - - - - 20

========================

(rule: there can't be more saurus braves than skink barves in warband)

What could be changed?

- I could drop a saurus, replace it with a skink and use the extra 25 to 30 gc for extra daggers and poisson for the skink heroes

- The mark could be dropped and with that 50 gc I could buy an extra skink brave and poisson and extra equipment for heroes

- small possible change: I could drop the reptile poisson for priest and get the two skink heroes an extra dagger to have two attacks to take knocked down models out of action, or just to have a better change should they accidentally get involved in combat.

- Other idea?

Looking forward to feedback and discussion : )
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 1:10

I'd drop the spears on the saurus I think. They won't achieve much with the low initiative value of saurus warriors. Buying clubs or axes instead would save you a few gold to buy weapons for models that only have their free dagger.
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 15:39

Spears mean my saurus will strike first when charged, irrespective of initiative value. How is initiative a factor specific to spears?

For warriors that will be in combat all the time I find clubs or axes insuffiecient. The -1 AS for the axe isn't that valuable I find, then I'd rather pay 5gc more and go for swords wih their wonderfull parry rule (the better and cheaper statistical equivalent of light armor) and nicely 'bladed' as well for critical hits. But then again spears are as expensive and also very neat! Cool

But thanks for the idea, all views are welcome!
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 16:21

The spear rules changed during the last rules review. They now grant "strikes first". If two models have "strikes first" (charger vs spear-armed model) then the order of striking is resolved by initiative. Saurus don't do well there.
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 17:43

Ahaa! Then I think I should first of all fully read the reviewed rules (and review the warbands equipment) Surprised Thanks for the clarification! (Damnit, I just spent a few hours painting my spear armed saurus... Sad )
Back to top Go down
lordofslack

lordofslack

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Aug 2009 - 20:45

Just wondering if someone could take a look at the restless dead band I posted a few back. It's my first time doing miniatures but it seemed like a good setup.
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2009 - 7:29

Your wish is my command lord of slack!
Your list for the restless dead is basically very sound, if i were to play them i would only make some minor changes (but that is more personal taste than anything else).
Try to include a fourth wight. They are your only experience-getting henchmen and every type of undead warband needs as many of those as possible.
You could drop a zombie, all the second hammers (just use your free dagger as the off-hand weapon, it is only marginally less effective) and would free 27 gc.
For the last gold needed you could either drop the shield or one of the shortbows. While both ideas are very sound (you need ranged combat to keep your opponent honest and protection for your leader is also a good thing) you probably won´t need either in your first game. Just buy them later in your campaign. You will probably have enough money as you already have 12 warriors - your allowed maximum warband size.
Back to top Go down
lordofslack

lordofslack

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2009 - 17:27

Hmm. From the website it said 0-3 for the number of Wights. Did they Errata the number to something higher?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2009 - 17:59

lordofslack wrote:
Hmm. From the website it said 0-3 for the number of Wights. Did they Errata the number to something higher?

Nope. 0-3 is correct. Smile
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2009 - 18:06

Oops, i did not see that Embarassed . Then your original list s even more sound than i thought...and my idea is illegal!
Back to top Go down
lordofslack

lordofslack

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 16:45

Well thanks for the feedback even if you did tell me to cheat. Smile
Back to top Go down
tuxedokman
General
General
tuxedokman

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 4:28

looking putting together a possessed warband

i've done a few builds, but this one is my favorite so far its got 10 members with 3 heros
i know people are gunna bitch about me not starting with any possessed, but i'm gunna go with the numbers and save up for nice big possessed guys a game or two later. i plan on using my mutants as expendable units (getting as many knock downs with the clubs and OOA with the spines), and try to blitz my way through the biggining games for money, putting my beastmen on the flanks while running my magister and 1 brethren around combat peppering enemies with arrows and magic.

Magister (spear,bow) 95
mutant (spines 2x club) 66
mutant (spines 2x club) 66

brethan (bow) 40
brethren (club) 28
brethren (club) 28
brethren (club) 28

beastmen (club) 48
beastmen (2x clubs) 51
beastmen (2x clubs) 51

Back to top Go down
http://neeel.com
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 6:19

If you treat the mutants as expendable then you won't be earning much cash. With only 3 heroes you will need to protect them well. Keep them away from the bulk of the fighting or they will get taken out of action and therefore you would get fewer rolls on exploration.
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 6:53

tuxedokman wrote:
i plan on using my mutants as expendable units
I'd disagree with this approach. You'll already be behind the eightball for cash with only 3 heroes so if you lose one of these guys, it'll be even worse.

In this style of warband, I'd probably go cheap on the mutants with Daemon Soul and bows and have them hang back with the Magister while you (a) gather enough gold for Possessed and (b) gain a Beastman Lad roll or two. Even though your cash flow will be lower than other 'bands at the start, it's offset by having 10 models from the get go. With the Beastmen, it's much better defensively than an average starting band, so you should end up able to save most of your gold for a few games without worry of falling too far behind the other bands.

I'd guess that biggest concern might be the experience the Possessed will miss by not being the first games. But that might be offset by lucky rolls and a couple Beastman heroes scratch ?
Back to top Go down
tuxedokman
General
General
tuxedokman

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 7:29

I'd rather go with hooves than demonsoul, and work on racing the mutants to objectives. That was my original build. I went into these builds with a non traditional out look on possessed.
Back to top Go down
http://neeel.com
Arathorn
Captain
Captain
Arathorn

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun 9 Aug 2009 - 22:40

Just a short question.

I'm thinking of fielding 3 of my 4 witchhunters with sword/brace of pistols. It's expencive, but it gives them a very good chance to kill a lot. Or would it be better to just give them swords?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   beastmen - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 28 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next