Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting

Go down 
+4
Grimscull
Pervavita
Harganok
Schoel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Empty
PostSubject: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeTue 13 Nov 2012 - 23:31

I'm wondering how you play the spear along with things that gets you extra limbs, I don't think the rules are very clear on this.

The unwieldy special rule says:
Quote :
A warrior with a spear may only use a shield or a buckler in his other hand. He may not use a second weapon.

That is, it says nothing at all about extra arms or tails. The spear strike first rule says:
Quote :
A warrior with a spear strikes first in the first turn of a hand-to-hand combat.

Does this mean that a mutant with a scorpion tail, Attack 1, Initiative 3 would strike first with both his tail and the spear against a charging opponent with Initiative 2? The strike first rule says that the model strikes first, not that he strikes first with his spear. The wording of unwieldy special rule makes me think they forgot about this special case when they wrote the rule though. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Harganok
Hero
Hero
Harganok

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 14 Nov 2012 - 0:01

We play it that the spear attack strikes first, followed by the charger, followed by the other attacks from the charged model (unless charger model has something like a great weapon, in which case he'll strike last anyway), which in your example would be the scorpion tail. That means the spear is a special case, and only attacks from the actual spear are subject to the 'Strikes first' rule.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 14 Nov 2012 - 0:11

The tail (Scorpion Tail) and Bites are not weapons so the rule does not apply to them.

As to extra arms or Tail Fighting I would say the rules mean what they mean here and the spear is your only weapon you can use even if you got 20 arms.
Though I do think this was something not covered or thought of in the rules and would say allow the extra arm(s) and tail to use other weapons. BUT I would check with my group first.

For Strike First; I think this also goes to the rules as writen vs intent (or rather didn't think about it) as ya your tail/bite is going first... though again this is obviously not the intent so you play the spear per the rule and other attacks per normal rules. This again you want to check with your group though.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2017 - 18:03

Harganok wrote:
That means the spear is a special case, and only attacks from the actual spear are subject to the 'Strikes first' rule.
That's how I'd play it. And imo that is even better than striking first with all attacks. Think about it - a Skaven with a spear and tailfighting-sword getting attacked. If he wounds but fails to take the attacker ooa, he simply has to declare an attack with his sword on an stunned opponent and "only" has to wound on a knocked down one...
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2017 - 18:48

Not a valid tactic as per rules as written:

Mordheim Rulebook 2005 Part I, p. 21 wrote:
attacking stunned
and knocked down warriors

Note that a model with multiple attacks may not
stun/knock down and then automatically take a
warrior out of action during the same hand-to-hand
combat phase. The only way you can achieve this is to
have more than one of your models attacking the
same enemy. So, if the enemy is stunned/knocked
down by the first warrior, he can be hit and put out of
action by the next warrior to attack.
If your model is engaged in close combat with an
enemy who is still standing, he cannot attack any
other models that are stunned or knocked down,
since in reality they will not pose an immediate threat
to him and their companions will try to protect them
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2017 - 21:52

Nah... Mad
Sometimes the ruleswriting just ...... me ...
A thousand loopholes but THIS has to be covered...

Thank you none the less thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb 2017 - 2:07

Not certain, but it is in my mind there was an FAQ at some point about multiple arms and two-handed weapons, e.g. halberd, DHW, spear, etc.

From memory it says something like you can only use a two-handed weapon with hands from your original two arms because the third might be coming out of your head or something.

For what it is worth in my group we ignored the unwieldy rule completely and it doesn't seem to have made anything less fun.
Back to top Go down
mitokun
Warrior
Warrior
mitokun

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb 2017 - 10:08

Schoel wrote:
I'm wondering how you play the spear along with things that gets you extra limbs
We play that the spear's unwieldyness only affects one other arm.

Quote :
Does this mean that a mutant with a scorpion tail, Attack 1, Initiative 3 would strike first with both his tail and the spear against a charging opponent
We play that only the spears strike first, although the rules say something different.
Back to top Go down
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 22 Feb 2017 - 14:36

Lord 0 wrote:
Not certain, but it is in my mind there was an FAQ at some point about multiple arms and two-handed weapons, e.g. halberd, DHW, spear, etc.

From memory it says something like you can only use a two-handed weapon with hands from your original two arms because the third might be coming out of your head or something.

For what it is worth in my group we ignored the unwieldy rule completely and it doesn't seem to have made anything less fun.

Yeah I read that also. Random mutating arms which can not use 2 handed weapons. (but what about morning-stars and spears?)
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb 2017 - 0:48

Dunno. TBH we also ignored the Difficult To Use rule for morning stars too.

For full disclosure the house-rules we use are:

Spears: 5 gold. S as user, I+1, Strike First, Parry if used 2-handed.
Halberd: 8 gold. S as user +1, I+1, two-handed.
Morning Star: S+1, Heavy, Cannot be parried.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitimeWed 3 Apr 2019 - 9:02

Fluffwise, it makes sense that you need another hand or a shield/buckler to blaande it with, making it semi-two-handed, so we would play it as just that, TWO-handed (with shield or buckler). Extra arm or tail fighting would allow another weapon, as such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting   Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spear and scorpion tail / extra arm / tail fighting
Page 1 of 1