Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Advice needed for Zombie modification

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Advice needed for Zombie modification Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeFri 12 Oct 2012 - 1:01

In my group we use a house-rule that allows a necromancer to spend multiple level-ups rolling on the henchman table instead of the hero table. If he does so then the henchman level-ups are applied to all zombies in the warband. TLGT is, of course rolled again. Also, we allow a Vampire with Arcane Lore to learn Necromantic Magic instead of lesser magic if they so wish.

What we are considering is allowing the Vampire to also use his level-ups to increase Zombies and also extending the increases to dire wolves.

So, assuming the above house-rules and the above objectives, which do you think would be the best to use? You should, of course, feel free to modify any ideas for suggestions or create new ones of whole cloth.

1) Necro applies his levelups to zombies and direwolves in his radius (6", maybe 12"), vampire applies his level-ups to all undead in his radius (6", maybe 12").
1a) undead in both radii apply both lots of level-up
1b) undead in both radii apply only the highest bonus
1c) undead in both radii choose either the vampire or necro bonus, but not both or a mix
1di) Necro radius always overrides Vamp radius
1dii) Vamp radius always overrides Necro radius

2) Necro level-ups affect all zombies, Vamp levelups increase all Direwolves.

3) When a levelup is purchased you choose whether it is to apply to a particular undead henchmen type e.g. zombies, skeletons, direwolves, sguls, etc.
3a) Multiple bonuses are summed.
3b) Multiple bonuses are highest only.

4) When a level-up is purchased it is applied to all undead henchmen types e.g. zombies and skeletons and direwolves and sguls, etc.
4a) Multiple bonuses are summed.
4b) Multiple bonuses are highest only.

5) Levelups are not rolled on the henchman table at all, but rather are purchased as a skill e.g. Undead Potency: Zombie Str. Each skill can only be purchased once.
5a) Instead of specific henchman types, the skill is purchased to affect undead globally e.g. Undead Potency: Str would give all undead henchmen +1 Str. Each skill can only be purchased once.
5ai) Multiple bonuses are summed.
5aii) Multiple bonuses are highest only.

Necromantic skills Necro or vampire only.
I am just dumping all possible necromantic skills here. Some may be useless depending on what undead buffing scheme was used. The skill-names are not very imaginative so alternate names would be gratefully received.

Extended will

Your Ld radius in which you affect undead henchmen is increased by 6". This skill may be taken multiple times. Each time it will increase the radius by 6".

Undead Vigour
Undead henchmen inside your Ld radius may run [variant: Undead that start their turn inside your Ld radius may run]. This will not affect charge ranges - charge as normal.

Just won't die
Undead henchmen inside your Ld radius will only go OOA on a 6.

Zombie lord
Zombies are now no longer limited by the henchman +1-to-any-stat maximum, but instead may be increased to human maximum.

Zombie horde
One group of zombies no longer counts against your warband maximum.

[Undead preservation]
One group of undead henchmen no longer counts against your warband size for the purposes of selling wyrdstone/treasure etc.

Hate the living
Undead henchmen in your radius have Hatred against living models i.e. anything not undead.

Feeding Frenzy
Once per game all undead henchmen in your Ld radius become subject to frenzy even if normally immune. Frenzy will last until KD/stunned as normal [variant: Frenzy will last for one round].

Feel free to suggest any other undead skills.

If the undead warband turns out to be too powerful, instead of nerfing them, I am thinking of the following:
Holy water may be purchased multiple times
Holy water may be used with knife-thrower, quickshot, and slings.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeFri 12 Oct 2012 - 5:27

In the BtB campaign starting (see other thread), we have our own fix:

Necromancy
Any zombie within 6'' of a necromancer can run, as long as the necromancer is not knocked down/stunned.

Empowered
Zombies "gain experience", but instead of leveling up a necromancer can upgrade them. This costs 1 shard of wyrdstone and the necromancer cannot search for rare items.

Level 1: +1 toughness. Replacements now cost 20gc
Level 2: Poisoned attacks (6's to hit auto wound). Replacements now cost 25gc
Level 3: Gain 'Hard to Kill' (1-5 knocked down, 6 OOA). Replacements now cost 30gc
Level 4: Mastered. Gain +1 I and can always run, as long as the necromancer is not knocked down/OOA. Replacements now cost 35gc.

Our thoughts is that this keeps zombies dependent on the necromancer. It adds to their mobility, but only slightly (they can run, but are easily slowed down), and while they level up, they get stronger in a very zombie-ish fashion.

As the campaign will start in about two weeks, the play testing will start then.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeFri 12 Oct 2012 - 17:36

This is the one we are looking at. It's not much but it should help.

-Undead Hoard: Vampire or Necromancer only
Each Zombie only counts as ½ a point for the warbands max size. This means that 2 Zombies together will make 1 point towards the warbands max size, rout test, and for income.

Though I like the idea of splitting the skill into two. one for warband size/rout test and another for income.

Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2012 - 12:13

Cool thread. The main thing I enjoyed from here was having a wizard with Necromancy devote an increase towards boosting henchmen. *yoink*

I have lists of campaign achievements for my new campaign plots used when fulfilling objectives. One of these is written based on undead warbands.

We have a new warband in (around and below!) Marienburg for river pirates which includes a Strigany mystic.

Advice needed for Zombie modification Striga10

The witch is able to use Necromancy so there is inevitable shenanigans that involves currying favour from vampires, summoning ghouls and zombies as followers.

Anything fun that ties in with these themes can be used to support the Necromancer's schemes. Being as a lot of our scenarios are based on the waterfront I found myself making notes last night about bonuses for animating drowned warriors during scenarios. It could be safer to drown the witch before she gets her wicked way with the waterlogged corpses of your warriors.

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 13:19

I'd go with option 2 for determining who is affected...

I'll go with the skill options for getting those advantages.

No stacking... higher bonus apply.

I think that's the ''simple'' way and so the best.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 17:13

You mean like the Necro gets "Undead Strength" and all zombies get a +1 Strength and if the Vampire gets the same skill then all Dire wolves get +1 Strength?

I think that works good as it still uses up one of the Necro/Vampires level ups but at the same time you can't just chose to upgrade the Zombie/Wolf but have to earn a skill then it applies to said group.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct 2012 - 17:26

I have taken this and made my own take on it... the idea is great even if my take on it is not.

Undead skills: All such skills that a Vampire takes only effect Dire Wolves well all Necromancer skills only effect Zombies.

-Undead Strength: Vampire or Necromancer only
Undead gain a +1 Strength

-Undead Toughness: Vampire or Necromancer only
Undead gain a +1 Toughness

-Undead Vigor: Vampire or Necromancer only
Undead may now run

-Undead Resilience: Vampire or Necromancer only
Undead only go OOA on a 6

-Undead Hatred: Vampire or Necromancer only
Undead as subject to hatred for all non undead.

-Undead Hoard: Necromancer only
Each Zombie only counts as ½ a point for the warbands max size. This means that 2 Zombies together will make 1 point towards the warbands max size.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitimeSat 27 Oct 2012 - 1:36

I REALLY like this idea... Integrated to our games for sure.

Here is my own way to do it...

The undead : All those options apply to all undead type warbands (Restless dead, tomb kings…). Those skills are special skills.

New skills:

Morbid aura: Necromantic magic users and powerful undeads have a powerful aura that can bolster undead around them. Each type has its own options on which kind of henchmen it will boost.

Morbid aura can be taken multiple times to upgrade its potency. However, once a type of henchmen has been chosen its permanent and you cannot select another type for the same hero. Multiple auras can get over one another but only one aura of the same type applies for a same kind of undeads.

Each time you take the skill, you select an upgrade from the available list for the type of undead you chose. All undead of this type will be affected as long as they remains within the aura range of 6’’.

Vampires: Dire wolves (D), Necromancers: Zombie (Z), Skeletons (S), Tomb kings: Skeletons, Lich priests: Skeletons Liches: Zombie, Skeletons

Aura of power (+1 S): D, Z

Aura of resilience (+1 T): Z, S

Aura of speed (Undead may run if they starts their turn inside the aura range): D, S

Aura of aggression (+1 A): D, S, Z

Aura of necrotic regeneration (special un-modifiable save 5+ against all wounds after armour save, ineffective against magic, magic weapons, holy water and holy weapons): D, Z

Extended aura: Aura range is now 12’’

Undead horde (Necromancers/liches/liche priest) : Choose either skeleton or zombie, all basic henchmen of this type count as half a warrior for the maximum warband size. Effects do not stack if more than one character have the same undead type. A single warrior may only have this skill once.

If the warrior is killed/fired and the warband size exceed its maximum, all henchmen (and their equipment) over the maximum turns to dust immediately without a chance to save them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed for Zombie modification   Advice needed for Zombie modification Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice needed for Zombie modification
Page 1 of 1