Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband

Go down 
+3
Stronzo
TheEnemyWithin
jackalope
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jackalope
Hero
Hero
jackalope

Trading Reputation : 0

Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Empty
PostSubject: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012 - 16:32

An attempt at Elves, a warband that seems is easy to make unbalanced. With bits stolen from everywhere. Was tempted to add a Garuda as some sort of flying hawk person, might leave for something else. Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Deva Guardians

Known to the populace as 'Devas,' the High Elves of Ind are known for their mastery of magic and their hatred of evil. Two outposts known as the Tower of the Sun and the Tower of the Stars can be seen from the shores of Ind gazing out toward the opulent empire for signs of evil. A third greater Tower, known as the Tower of Heaven to the High Elves, or the City of a Thousand Gods the Humans, was once built in the heart of Ind. Long ago the a great calamity struck the Outpost, scattering its Elvish Guardians and signalling the coming of Chaos in the form of the Asura, the Deva's great enemy. Now the remaining High Elves of Ind search the ruins of their once great home, searching for artifacts, and hunting those that corrupt it. Many of the Devas of Ind distinguish themselves from other High Elves by the painting their skin blue, as a symbol of the loss.

Max. size 12 models. Minimum 3.

Special Rules
Hate Asura: All warriors in a Deva Warband (excluding any Hired Swords) have an unyielding Hatred for Asura.
Excellent Sight: Elves have eyesight unmatched by mere humans. All the Elves in a Deva Warband can spot Hidden enemies from twice as far away as other warriors (i.e. twice their Initiative in inches).
Distaste for Poison: Warriors in a Deva Warband may not use poisons of any type.
Unforgiving: In addition to their hatred of their corrupt kin, the folk of Ind have a long history of struggle against the forces of Chaos. In multiplayer games, a Shadow Warrior warband may never forge an alliance with any Warband of a Chaotic nature (Skaven, Beastmen, Asura, etc.)
Intolerant: The Elves of Ind distaste ‘lesser races’. A Deva Warband may not hire any Hired Swords except for Deva Mercenaries.
Long-Lived: Elves, as a race, can live right through dozens of human generations, with a lifespan spanning centuries rather than decades. Due to this, they take longer to advance through the ranks, as they do not have the short human lifespan to push them to great deeds before they die. As such, the first time any Deva henchman rolls "The Lad's Got Talent", you must re-roll the dice. The second roll stands (even if you roll "The Lad's Got Talent" again). This represents the fact that elves must do much more than a member of the "lesser" races to gain the respect of their commander and comrades. Any later results of "The Lad's Got Talent" count as normal; only the first result rolled for each henchmen group must be re-rolled.

Heroes

1 Vayu
70 Gold Crowns to Hire
The leader of a Deva warband is known as Vayu, a title meaning 'Lord of the Wind.' Often an Elf of Noble birth, he will spend the rest of his expansive life hunting those that invade his home.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 5 5 3 3 1 6 1 9

Weapons/Armour: May choose weapons and armour from the Deva Warrior List.

Special Rules
Leader: Any models in the warband within 6" of the Vayu may use his Leadership instead of their own.

0-1 Rudra
45 Gold Crowns to Hire
Great warriors that fought during the fall of the Tower of Heaven. They are said to wear lion-skins, matted-hair and serpents around their necks. Ferocious fighters, they despise Evil in all its forms.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 5 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

0-1 Deva Hunter
45 Gold Crowns to Hire
Deva Hunters stalk the ruins of the Tower of Heaven, scouting ahead of the Devas, they stick to the shadows, using beasts to help them hunt their prey.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Special Skills
Beast Empathy: If your warband includes a deva hunter, you may purchase up 0-3 of allowed beast companions in the henchmen/Equipment list. Any beast purchased from this list may use the wild hunter’s leadership value for tests if within 6”.
Natural Stealth: If a Hunter is Hiding, enemy models suffer -1 to their Initiative value for determining if they can detect him.

0-1 Gandharva
55 Gold Crowns to Hire
'Gandharva' means a singer in the court of Gods. They wield words, calling upon the winds of magic, to damage enemies and protect allies.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Weapons/Armour: May choose weapons from the Deva Warrior List, but they may not cast spells if wearing armor.

Special Rules
Wizard: The Gandharva is a wizard and may use the Deva Magic list.

Henchmen

Deva Guardian
35 Gold Crowns to Hire
Most of the warriors in the Deva Warband are veterans of at least one battle, and all have lost loved ones to the Asuras.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Deva Novices
25 Gold Crowns to Hire
Young and eager to prove themselves in battle, Deva novices have much to learn. Due to their hard existence, it is often a quick progression from Novice to full Warrior, however.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 3 3 3 3 1 5 1 7

0-3 Wolfhounds; 20 gold crowns to hire.
Wolfhound (half-wolf) have proven to be loyal companions and strong allies when danger threatens.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
6 4 0 4 3 1 4 1 5

Weapons/Armor: Powerful jaws and sharp teeth!

Special Rules:
Animal: Wolfhounds are animals and thus gains no experience.
Beast Companion: May only be included if your warband has a Deva Hunter.

Skill Lists
Combat Shooting Academic Strength Speed Special
Vayu x x x - x x
Rudra x x - - x x
Deva Hunter x x - - x x
Gandharva x - x - x x

Deva Guardian Special Skills
Deva Heroes may use the following Skill table instead of any of the standard Skill tables available to them.

Infiltration: This skill is exactly the same as the Skaven skill of the same name.
Hide in Shadows: Over time Deva Guardians have learned how to freeze in place and remain undetected, even from the heightened senses of their Dark Elf cousins. An enemy warrior attempting to detect this warrior when he is Hidden must halve his Initiative before measuring the distance.
Sniper: Long years of guerrilla warfare against the Asura have taught Deva Warriors how to strike from the shadows without being seen. If Hidden, a warrior with this skill may shoot or cast spells and still remain Hidden.
Powerful Build: The warrior is strongly built for an Elf, and is capable of feats of strength not often seen among the people of Ulthuan. A warrior with this skill may choose skills from the Strength skills table from now on. This skill may not be taken by Gandharva. There may never be more than two Elves with this skill in the warband at any one time.
Master of Runes: The Gandharva has learned to harness the power of the High Elven runes of power (see Elven Runestones, below) to a degree few mages attain. When using Elven Runestones, the mage is +1 to his dispel roll. In addition, the mage can inscribe the weapons and armor of one of his fellow warriors with Elven runes. One member of the Warband may re-roll a single failed armor save or Parry roll once per battle. After a single battle, the runes lose their glamour and must be redone. This skill may only be taken by Gandharva.

Deva Magic

1 – Fortune's Song – Diff: Auto
All of your heroes count as having Lucky Charms for this battle, and ignore the first hit against them on a D6 roll of 4+. If they already own Lucky Charms, they ignore the first hit on a D6 roll of 2+.

2 – Tale of Vengeance - Difficulty: 8
The Gandharva recalls the tale of destruction and lives its fury. The wizard gets +1 movement, +1 attack, +2 strength, and +1 weapon skill. The Gandharva must take a leadership test at the beginning of each of his own turns to maintain; if the test fails, the spell ends.

3 – Music of Courage – Difficulty 7
Any allied warriors within 8” of the Gandharva (as well as the Gandharva himself) may reroll any failed Leadership tests once. If the Leader is within 8” range, the Rout Check may be rerolled, if the first roll was a failure. Any dice rerolled in this matter may not be rerolled a second time. This spell lasts until the start of your next Shooting Phase.

4 - Wings of Light- Difficulty: 6
Wings of light unfurl from the Gandharva’s back and lift him into the sky. He is instantly moved up to 12" to a placeof choice. If moved into contact with an enemy model, the Gandharva counts as charging in the first round.

5 – Dance of Life – Difficulty 6
Any one model within 4” of the Gandharva (including himself) may be healed. The warrior is restored to his full quota of Wounds. In addition, if any friendly models within 4” are stunned or knocked down, they immediately come to their senses, stand up, and continue fighting as normal.

6 - Divine Fire – Difficulty: 7
Fire leaps from the Gandharva to strike the victim. The Gandharva may cast this spell at any enemy model within 12" of him.. The target suffers a single Strength 4 hit with no armor saves. This gets +1 to injury against Asura.

Ind Equipment

Deva Warrior List

Hand-to-hand combat weapons:
Dagger – First free/2 gc
Sword – 10 gc
Double-handed weapon – 15 gc
Halberd – 10gc
Spear – 10 gc
Ithilmar weapon* - 2 x price

Missile Weapons:
Elf short bow – 15 gc
Elf bow – 35 gc

Armor:
Helmet – 10 gc
Light armor – 20 gc
Shield – 5 gc
Ithilmar armor* – 60 gc

Miscellaneous:
Elven Cloak* - 75 gc
Elven Wine* - 50 gc
Elven Runestones* - 50 gc

*Heroes only. These special prices represent the lower rarity of these items in Ulthuan; when attempting to purchase these items in Mordheim (or Ind), Deva Warriors pay the same prices as other warbands, and must roll to find them as normal. No roll is necessary to find these items when first starting a Deva Warrior Warband.

New Equipment:

Elven Shortbow (15 gc). These short, powerful bows are as deadly as Elven bows at close range. Maximum Range: 24 Strength: 3 Special Rules: -1 to armor saves.
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012 - 17:34

Eurgh...I cry every time I see somebody try to make a "balanced" Elf list xD

Every single one of your warriors, both henchmen and heroes need a great great increase to their cost. Think about it this way, a mercenary captain costs 60gc...your leader costs 70gc, for that 10gold you are gaining +1Movement, +1 BS, +1WS, +2Initiative and +1Ld and a few special rules...I'll just leave it at that and recommend you have a look at everybody's costs xD

Elf warbands are generally broken simply because people take the elf ranger hired sword's stats and say "Yeah, that's just a random dude, ill use that as the median and add or subtract to that for the rest of the warband members." I'm afraid that it just never works that way :S

I would also say that if you were going to go elf you should only be able to start with 4 heroes rather than 5, but that's just my opinion.

In saying that, I think you may be onto something with your "Long Life" rule, but I would go so far as to add to it that "They have been around a long time, they have seen and done it all, all elf characters skip every second level up they are entitled to" That way they would be powerful early campaign but it at least gives others a chance to catch up.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but elf rules are one of my pet peeves, so many people claim to have "fixed" them, without actually tackling what makes them powerful in the first place xD
Back to top Go down
jackalope
Hero
Hero
jackalope

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 0:57

Harsh?- dude, not at all. I honestly am snatching at straws to make it "balanced"- I really just meant that I have no idea whether it is balanced or not, but like you said, lots of people seem try and make these kind of lists.

I would be inclined to make them more expensive, and have a kind of elite, but small group. I did make it so they could only start with 4 heroes, and have a maximum size of 12.

You might be right about the long life thing, though it would seem kind of mean at the same time. Much to mull over...
Back to top Go down
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 1:20

The original Shadow warrior list is so far the best balanced elf band ive seen/read, and thats not saying alot. However elves are nice and imo have their place in Mordheim (and even more in other settings) so a few changes to the original list can get you along way, rather then writing up a new one.

In my group we're still tweaking, but a good start is changing "Sniper" to allow the target an initiative roll to spot the shooter (just like with skaven blowpipes).
Also, once you buff armor and sheilds their bow shooting madness should be less of a menace. Smile

"Good guy" demi-humans tend to have a load of special-racial rules while the badguy-demi-humans traditionaly get +1T a a bigger base and that in itself can seem wierd Wink but i agree that elves should be pretty elite.
Another way to work around them good guys is to build your gameboard to not overly favour shooters Smile
Even though shadow warriore have intimidating melee skills they are too expencive to really enjoy a good scrap with other peoples heavy hitters Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 2:51

Overall I like it! Overall, a few suggestions:

Base the warband off the dwarf treasure hunter warband. I'm serious here:

1. Dwarf noble: 85gc. Elven captain: 85 gc. +1 WS OR BS.
2. Other heroes get basic hero stats, at 50gc. One group gets a skill, and one is a spell caster. This means only 4 heroes. Make the two with skills close combat only, with no shooting skills. Don't allow the caster to take shooting skills either.
3. Basic henchman group costs 40gc. Core Warhammer Fantasy elf stats. 0+, cannot take missile weapons.
4. Shooting hencman group costs 40gc. Core Warhammer Fantasy elf stats. 0-5. Cannot take great weapons or halberds.
4. Cheap henchman group costs 30gc. (Yes, dwarf basic henchman cost 25gc. But compared to human mercenaries they are at -1 M, -1 I, +1 T, +1 Ld. Your cheap ones would be human stats at +1 M). Again, no missile weapons.
5. Take out Sniper (damn annoying skill).
6. Take out the wolfhounds.

This gives you a warband of 12, with 6 shooters, 1 caster, and 5 pure close combat elves. With no sniper and no crossbows, they'd hardly be a pure shooty warband. They'd be fast and skilled, but you'd need to use them well.

I'd also change the maximum stats for elves so they can't get +1 toughness, and make a special rule where you need to re-roll +1 wound rolls (if you get it again, you can keep it). This would create a warband where your heroes stay squishy, and where you are forced to get into close combat. However, not getting the +1 wound would make the elves better in actually doing damage, as you'd be forced to take a skill, or get a different stat upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Mulcayhee
Captain
Captain
Sgt. Mulcayhee

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 3:35

Looks like a cross between the Shadow Warriors and the Wood Elf list on Mordheimer.

Sniper and Powerful Build, are in my opinion two of the many reasons Shadow Warriors went to unofficial status. Both are far too big of a bonus.

The spells are all really great. And by that I mean, in almost every spell list of Mordheim at least 1 or 2 of the spells are almost worthless.

I agree with EnemyWithin, either prices need to go up, or abilities need to go down.
Back to top Go down
jackalope
Hero
Hero
jackalope

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 9:00

Thanks for all the feedback- especially Grumbaki- great ideas. Anyway, second attempt. much more close combat orientated. Gave the Rudra a combat skill to represent their fury. I took out Sniper- but Powerful build I kept in, mainly for the Rudra.

Deva Guardians

Known to the populace as 'Devas,' the High Elves of Ind are known for their mastery of magic and their hatred of evil. Two outposts known as the Tower of the Sun and the Tower of the Stars can be seen from the shores of Ind gazing out toward the opulent empire for signs of evil. A third greater Tower, known as the Tower of Heaven to the High Elves, or the City of a Thousand Gods the Humans, was once built in the heart of Ind. Long ago the a great calamity struck the Outpost, scattering its Elvish Guardians and signalling the coming of Chaos in the form of the Asura, the Deva's great enemy. Now the remaining High Elves of Ind search the ruins of their once great home, searching for artifacts, and hunting those that corrupt it. Many of the Devas of Ind distinguish themselves from other High Elves by the painting their skin blue, as a symbol of the loss.

Max. size 12 models. Minimum 3.

Special Rules
-Hate Asura: All warriors in a Deva Warband (excluding any Hired Swords) have an unyielding Hatred for Asura.
-Excellent Sight: Elves have eyesight unmatched by mere humans. All the Elves in a Deva Warband can spot Hidden enemies from twice as far away as other warriors (i.e. twice their Initiative in inches).
-Distaste for Poison: Warriors in a Deva Warband may not use poisons of any type.
-Unforgiving: In addition to their hatred of their corrupt kin, the folk of Ind have a long history of struggle against the forces of Chaos. In multiplayer games, a Shadow Warrior warband may never forge an alliance with any Warband of a Chaotic nature (Skaven, Beastmen, Asura, etc.)
Intolerant: The Elves of Ind distaste ‘lesser races’. A Deva Warband may not hire any Hired Swords except for Deva Mercenaries.
-Elvish constitution: Elves are not known for their toughness or hardiness. Devas cannot gain any Toughness improvements. As well as this, when rolling for improvements for heroes you must reroll any Wound rolls, if +1 W is rolled again then it stands.

Heroes

1 Vayu
85 Gold Crowns to Hire
The leader of a Deva warband is known as Vayu, a title meaning 'Lord of the Wind.' Often an Elf of Noble birth, he will spend the rest of his expansive life hunting those that invade his home.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 9

Weapons/Armour: May choose weapons and armour from the Deva Warrior List or the Deva Archer list.

Special Rules
Leader: Any models in the warband within 6" of the Vayu may use his Leadership instead of their own.
Warriors Path: The Vayu is a master of combat and has trained for hundreds of years. On being bought the Vayu can choose to have +1 to either his WS or BS, representing his mastery of the Bow or the Sword.

0-2 Rudra
55 Gold Crowns to Hire
Great warriors that fought during the fall of the Tower of Heaven. They are said to wear lion-skins, matted-hair and serpents around their necks. Ferocious fighters, they despise Evil in all its forms.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Ferocious Charge: The Rudra may double his attacks on the turn in which he charges. He will suffer a -1 ‘to hit’ penalty on that turn.

0-1 Gandharva
55 Gold Crowns to Hire
'Gandharva' means a singer in the court of Gods. They wield words, calling upon the winds of magic, to damage enemies and protect allies.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Weapons/Armour: May choose weapons from the Deva Warrior List, but they may not cast spells if wearing armor.

Special Rules
Wizard: The Gandharva is a wizard and may use the Deva Magic list.

Henchmen

Deva Guardians
40 Gold Crowns to Hire
Most of the warriors in the Deva Warband are veterans of at least one battle, and all have lost loved ones to the Asuras.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

0-5 Deva Archers
40 Gold Crowns to Hire
Trained in the bow, Deva archers are famed for their deadly accuracy. Many an explorer has died by a Deva arrows, whilst searching the ruins.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 4 3 3 1 6 1 8

Weapons/Armour: May choose weapons and armour from the Deva Archer List.

Deva Novices
30 Gold Crowns to Hire
Young and eager to prove themselves in battle, Deva novices have much to learn. Due to their hard existence, it is often a quick progression from Novice to full Warrior, however.

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 3 3 3 3 1 5 1 7

Skill Lists
Combat Shooting Academic Strength Speed Special
Vayu x x x - x x
Rudra x - - - x x
Gandharva x - x - x x

Deva Guardian Special Skills
Deva Heroes may use the following Skill table instead of any of the standard Skill tables available to them.

Infiltration: This skill is exactly the same as the Skaven skill of the same name.
Hide in Shadows: Over time Deva Guardians have learned how to freeze in place and remain undetected, even from the heightened senses of their Dark Elf cousins. An enemy warrior attempting to detect this warrior when he is Hidden must halve his Initiative before measuring the distance.
Powerful Build: The warrior is strongly built for an Elf, and is capable of feats of strength not often seen among the people of Ulthuan. A warrior with this skill may choose skills from the Strength skills table from now on. This skill may not be taken by Gandharva. There may never be more than two Elves with this skill in the warband at any one time.
Master of Runes: The Gandharva has learned to harness the power of the High Elven runes of power (see Elven Runestones, below) to a degree few mages attain. When using Elven Runestones, the mage is +1 to his dispel roll. In addition, the mage can inscribe the weapons and armor of one of his fellow warriors with Elven runes. One member of the Warband may re-roll a single failed armor save or Parry roll once per battle. After a single battle, the runes lose their glamour and must be redone. This skill may only be taken by Gandharva.

Deva Magic

1 – Fortune's Song – Diff: Auto
All of your heroes count as having Lucky Charms for this battle, and ignore the first hit against them on a D6 roll of 4+. If they already own Lucky Charms, they ignore the first hit on a D6 roll of 2+.

2 – Tale of Vengeance - Difficulty: 8
The Gandharva recalls the tale of destruction and lives its fury. The wizard gets +1 movement, +1 attack, +2 strength, and +1 weapon skill. The Gandharva must take a leadership test at the beginning of each of his own turns to maintain; if the test fails, the spell ends.

3 – Music of Courage – Difficulty 7
Any allied warriors within 8” of the Gandharva (as well as the Gandharva himself) may reroll any failed Leadership tests once. If the Leader is within 8” range, the Rout Check may be rerolled, if the first roll was a failure. Any dice rerolled in this matter may not be rerolled a second time. This spell lasts until the start of your next Shooting Phase.

4 - Wings of Light- Difficulty: 6
Wings of light unfurl from the Gandharva’s back and lift him into the sky. He is instantly moved up to 12" to a placeof choice. If moved into contact with an enemy model, the Gandharva counts as charging in the first round.

5 – Dance of Life – Difficulty 6
Any one model within 4” of the Gandharva (including himself) may be healed. The warrior is restored to his full quota of Wounds. In addition, if any friendly models within 4” are stunned or knocked down, they immediately come to their senses, stand up, and continue fighting as normal.

6 - Divine Fire – Difficulty: 7
Fire leaps from the Gandharva to strike the victim. The Gandharva may cast this spell at any enemy model within 12" of him.. The target suffers a single Strength 4 hit with no armor saves. This gets +1 to injury against Asura.

Ind Equipment

Deva Warrior List

Dagger – First free/2 gc
Sword – 10 gc
Double-handed weapon – 15 gc
Halberd – 10gc
Spear – 10 gc

Armor:
Helmet – 10 gc
Light armor – 20 gc
Shield – 5 gc
Ithilmar armor* – 60 gc

Missle Weapons:
Throwing Knives - 15gc

Miscellaneous:
Elven Cloak* - 75 gc
Elven Wine* - 50 gc

Deva Archer List

Dagger – First free/2 gc
Sword – 10 gc
Spear – 10 gc

Missile Weapons:
Elf short bow – 15 gc
Elf bow – 35 gc

Armor:
Helmet – 10 gc
Light armor – 20 gc
Shield – 5 gc
Ithilmar armor* – 60 gc

Miscellaneous:
Elven Cloak* - 75 gc
Elven Wine* - 50 gc

*Heroes only. These special prices represent the lower rarity of these items in Ulthuan; when attempting to purchase these items in Mordheim (or Ind), Deva Warriors pay the same prices as other warbands, and must roll to find them as normal. No roll is necessary to find these items when first starting a Deva Warrior Warband.

New Equipment:

Elven Shortbow (15 gc). These short, powerful bows are as deadly as Elven bows at close range. Maximum Range: 24 Strength: 3 Special Rules: -1 to armor saves.

Last edited by jackalope on Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 23:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 9:56

forgot in the last post: Great job with the theme and mood of the warband Smile

Im not sure i understand the need for the elven shortbow. The spells are nice, however it seems that the list have the best of prayers aswell as a regular arcane school. But then again, it goes well with the theme Smile

Another thing. All the leader gets for his 20xp is +1 Leadership? that seems a little... underpowered?

All in all i think your getting close to something good here Smile
Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 12:42

The new list is looking good although I have one complaint about most of the elf warbands that crop up: why do all elves need to be I6? I think that the standard should be I4 (if you look at warhammer most elves are I4) and then for the leader and maybe one other hero I5. I know it doesn't sound like much but it doubles the chance of henchmen failing to climb which can add a precious few turns to the time it takes for the elves to get to the all important high ground to set up those shooting death traps.

I'm also not entirely sure that you need the long lived rule because you have limited them to 4 heroes out of the gate anyway so if you start adding an extra cap to the number of heroes then they are going to end up very poor very quick which can really hamper a warband. So I would say one or the other but not both.

In respect to what Grumbaki has said I think that making the comparison between dwarfs and elves is always the best way to approach making an elf band but you have to remember all the dwarf special rules (only killed on a 6, not affected by clubs, never slowed by armour and they always get +1 wyrdstone) so the elves just get better stats instead of these bonuses. therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to give elves a 5M 3WS 3BS 3S 3T 1W 4I 1A 7LD warrior for 25gc.

I can't remember where I saw this but I thought it was a really cool idea and might be an interesting race rule:

Frail But Fay: The maximum toughness for elves is only 3 but any time they gain a new skill they may instead recover from one serious injury that they have sustained.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 20:45

Loving the warband as it is now. I'll also say that I like the elven shortbow idea, why would elves use "normal" bows when they have elven ones? It's nice and fluffy. Also, I like seeing the insane I and M for the elves. I agree though on taking out "long lived." With 4 heroes, you are penalized enough.

And one final thing that I thought of. All dwarfs can take pistols. So I'd add in "throwing daggers" for all elves. Just like the dwarfs, it gives them a short ranged attack for the same price.

Comparing them to dwarves...

Dwarf: -1 M, -1 I, +1 WS, +1 T, +2 Ld. (+2 advances)
* +1 Wyrdstone,
* Hard to Kill
* Hate Greenskins

Elf: +1 M, +1 WS, +1 BS, +3 I, +1 Ld (+7 advances)
* Excellent Sight
* Hate Asura
* Distaste for Poison

Overall, they are pretty equal. Dwarfs are just plain tougher. But elves...when excellent sight, along with I6, is used well, it is nasty! Seriously, I've seen that change games, and some players take an elf ranger just for that. At least in my meta, hiding is a must. A single elf with "remain undetected" can ruin an enemy's day.

The warband, as it is written above, looks very balanced. It requires the player to use all of his strengths to his advantage. He can't just hang back and shoot, and he can't charge in. Instead he has to use his movement and initiative to his advantage to pick his fights, and to carefully snipe enemies away. I'd gladly play against it...something that I can't say for the shadow warriors warband.

Back to top Go down
Jape
Captain
Captain
Jape

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 23:07

I had hoped for a Human Ind list, but the background stuff is excellent regardless - be interesred to see some models based off this setting
Back to top Go down
jackalope
Hero
Hero
jackalope

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Mar 2012 - 23:25

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband   Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingdoms of Ind: Deva Warband
Page 1 of 1