Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Characteristics increase and dice rolls

Go down 
+2
Dyrnwyn
theruler
6 posters
AuthorMessage
theruler
Warrior
Warrior
theruler

Trading Reputation : 0

Characteristics increase and dice rolls Empty
PostSubject: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 1:37

A friend of mine raised a question.

How exactly do I have to read this sentence?:

“If a characteristic is at its
maximum, take the other option or roll again if you
can only increase one characteristic. If both are
already at their racial maximum, you may increase any
other (that is not already at its racial maximum) by +1
instead. Note that this is the only way to gain the
maximum Movement for some races. Remember that
Henchmen can only add +1 to any characteristic.”

We always let the player, in case of this scenario, to chose any characteristic (within racial limits).
The example currently states you can increase M.

Since Army builder datafile do not allow to do this, the question is, can you increase W also?

cheers
Back to top Go down
Dyrnwyn
Youngblood
Youngblood
Dyrnwyn

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 4:00

theruler wrote:
How exactly do I have to read this sentence?:

“If a characteristic is at its
maximum, take the other option or roll again if you
can only increase one characteristic.
If the stat you rolled is maxed, you can either take the other stat associated with your 2d6 roll, or re-roll 2d6 to get a different set of stats/a skill.

Quote :
If both are
already at their racial maximum, you may increase any
other (that is not already at its racial maximum) by +1
instead. Note that this is the only way to gain the
maximum Movement for some races. Remember that
Henchmen can only add +1 to any characteristic.”
If both of the associated stats of the 2d6 roll are maxed, you can just pick a different stat and add +1.

theruler wrote:
Since Army builder datafile do not allow to do this, the question is, can you increase W also?
For Heroes, of course. For Henchmen? Technically, yes. It's fairly rare though.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 4:51

I agree with Dyrnwyn. For Heroes it allows you to increase any characteristic not already at a maximum (including Movement which cannot be rolled normally).

Many people believe that this is technically not allowed for henchmen groups. This is because of the slightly conflicting rules from the "Henchmen" heading on the same page as quoted below. However, we do allow it in my gaming group so that if both WS & BS are both at a maximum (this is the only dice roll for henchemen that has two characteristics) then it is OK to increase the M, T or W characteristic for the henchmen group. I agree with Dyrnwyn that it is extremely rare (I don't know whether it has ever occurred in our gaming group even though we allow it).

Quote :

Henchmen never add more than +1 point to any of their initial characteristics. If the dice roll indicates an increase in a characteristic which has already been increased (or is at its racial maximum), roll again until an unincreased charateristic is rolled. All warriors in the group gain the same advance.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 6:28

RationalLemming wrote:
However, we do allow it in my gaming group so that if both WS & BS are both at a maximum (this is the only dice roll for henchemen that has two characteristics) then it is OK to increase the M, T or W characteristic for the henchmen group.
Is it? Interesting. With us, you'd have to roll till you rolled either T,W,Ld or I (or Lad). Since there are just so many advances a henchman can have, choosing is not possible, as there will always be a characteristic not at its max.
Back to top Go down
theruler
Warrior
Warrior
theruler

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 8:36

Thanks for replying, guys.
Since a friend from a new group pointed it out (and noticed the "bug" in AB datafiles) the doubt arose.

I did not specify, but the question was for henchmen.
In our campaigns we had very few henchmen with 2W, but we actually had. A 3W Beastman is a very bad encounter indeed!
The only chance to gain M,W or T on characteristic increase would be to roll 6-7 for three time (out of four).
Not so uncommon I'd say.

Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 8:55

Quote :

2-4 Advance. +1 Initiative.
5 Advance. +1 Strength.
6-7 Advance. Choose either +1 BS or +1WS.
8 Advance. +1 Attack.
9 Advance. +1 Leadership.
10-12 The lad’s got talent.

Quote :

Henchmen never add more than +1 point to any of their initial characteristics. If the dice roll indicates an increase in a characteristic which has already been increased (or is at its racial maximum), roll again until an unincreased charateristic is rolled. All warriors in the group gain the same advance.

These are 6 different stats and LGT as last option. I think the rules state clearly that henchmen couldn't get +W, +T etc. without houseruling it.
The rules say explicit you roll again until you get another result. Its different from the normal "second roll stands"-policy.
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 9:55

I think

"Henchmen never add more than +1 point to any of their initial characteristics. If the dice roll indicates an increase in a characteristic which has already been increased (or is at its racial maximum), roll again until an unincreased charateristic is rolled. All warriors in the group gain the same advance"

says it all.

"roll again until an unincreased characteristic is rolled". There's no room for doubt there imo.

You cannot get T, W or M for henchmen. You can houserule it ofc.
Back to top Go down
theruler
Warrior
Warrior
theruler

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:14

If both characteristics are already at their racial maximum, you may increase any other by +1instead.

It actually says you are eligible to chose only if the racial maximum is reached for that characteristic. And it would be possible only if an henchman had WS5 and BS5 as base profile.

I am starting to think thesoundofmusica is right.
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 15:00

The rule state, that you have to roll again, if the characteristic is already at max, so you never get the change to use the other rule, which allows you to choose a characteristic if you have to increase a characteristic that is already at max.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitimeFri 9 Mar 2012 - 5:18

Yes it is a house rule. I had written that but it must have been removed when I adjusted what I was saying. Officially it is not possible to change W, T or M for henchmen.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Characteristics increase and dice rolls   Characteristics increase and dice rolls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Characteristics increase and dice rolls
Page 1 of 1