Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Some campaign questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Harganok
Hero
Hero
Harganok

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Some campaign questions  Empty
PostSubject: Some campaign questions    Some campaign questions  Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011 - 4:42

Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller jocolor
A couple of buddies and I recently picked up mordheim again after about 11 years off and are each 4 games deep in a campaign (I play possessed, and my opponents are Skaven and Mercs). We play vanilla rules with a couple of house rules thrown in, but still come across situations where its hard to get a clear solution. Any help with answering some of these things that have popped up in our games would be appreciated:

Beastmen model limit - the possessed list says you can have 0-3 beastmen henchmen. I started with 3 but after first game one became a hero through LGT. Does this mean I can only have the two henchmen and the hero, or does the 3 model limit only extend to the henchmen (so I would be able to buy another)?

Charging - I usually end up on the receiving end of 3-5 skaven charging 1-2 of my guys because they may charge around a scrum in the middle to get to my guys behind etc. question is...can you charge around a group of guys to get into combat? They have LOS but its not a straight shot. We have been playing that you can but what is your opinion?

Blunderbusses - can a blunderbuss shoot into HtH because its a template and doesnt roll to hit?

Like I said, any help is appreciated. Im hoping to get some pics and battle reps up after our next round.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some campaign questions    Some campaign questions  Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011 - 5:25

Welcome to the forum!

Beastmen limit in the Possessed warband--you are limited to 3 total so even if one becomes a hero that's it. But since getting a beastman hero is the goal, good job!

If they have LOS then we let them charge, I assume by scrum you mean an ungoing combat. If they are charging past unengaged models then the intercept rule comes into play.

Blunderbus into Hand to Hand--No. You are not allowed to taget models in hand to hand.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Some campaign questions    Some campaign questions  Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011 - 13:33

1) I want to disagree with you, Von Kurst, about the beastman thing, but I think you're right. The rules for TLGT say promoted henchmen retain their henchman type. A promoted Ghoul stays a Ghoul, and the rules for the Undead warband say, "Ghouls: Your warband may include any number of Ghouls." Ok, bad example, but you get the idea when it comes to limited henchmen types.

2) The rules for charging require that models declaring a charge be able to draw an "unobstructed line from your model to the target." This will technically be possible 99% of the time because it doesn't specify that the line go directly to the target nor limit the length of the line in any way.

The rules also state that a charging warrior must move by the most direct route into base to base contact with their target. This means you can't do things like charge in wide circles to avoid intervening models or terrain.

There are, however, rules for charging a model that can't be seen. If a model is within 4" of an enemy (remember you can't measure before you declare a charge!) that it can't see, but isn't hidden, you must pass an initiative test to charge the target. You still have to move via the most direct route. This means hugging corners; and enemy models for that matter. Seems like you could charge around enemies if you're within 4" of the model you actually want to charge and can pass an initiative test, but you must pass as close as legally possible to the enemy models (1" away for standing, unengaged models) while measuring the distance of the path of the charge (not the direct distance to the target) to make sure the charger can actually charge that far.

Which brings the charger right into intercept range. If the charge path passes within a 2" radius of any enemy models, the charge may be intercepted by a single one of those models (provided the model trying to intercept isn't in combat or knocked down or something).

The rule book actually fails to define the action of an "intercept" at all, telling us only about conditions surrounding it. It mentions that the original charging model still counts as charging and the intercepting model does not, implying intercepting places the charger and interceptor in close combat. It doesn't say whether the interceptor moves into the path of the charging model, or if the charge simply redirects to the interceptor, or even if the charger remains still and the interceptor is moved all the way to the charger (which is pretty ridiculous). You're on your own for this one.

So basically, if you think models block LOS the Skaven player probably shouldn't be allowed to charge models behind other models, unless they qualify under the rules for charging models that can't be seen. Otherwise make sure they're charging along the most direct path, and intercept them if possible (whatever intercepting actually is). No gerrymandering charge paths!

3) According to the rules as written blunderbuss can shoot into close combat and, technically, even through walls. It just says you draw a straight line ye long and ye wide and models touched by the line are hit.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some campaign questions    Some campaign questions  Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011 - 18:04

There's a great discussion of the Blunderbuss here--

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1616-blunderbuss?highlight=Blunderbuss

I believe strongly that there is a nice FAQ answer about the blunderbuss, but my foo is not strong today and it eludes me. (Not the eagle eyes question, the targeting question)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some campaign questions    Some campaign questions  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some campaign questions
Page 1 of 1