Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dead heroes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Grimtoof
Hero
Hero
Grimtoof

Trading Reputation : 0

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 20:14

Alright I am pretty sure I have this correct but I need to double check as I have not found a solid answer as of yet.

When a leader of a warband dies the one with the next highest leadership takes his place. A leader of a warband
may not be re-purchased unless you are vampires etc. Ok does this mean I cannot purchase a new hero of that
type EVER, or does it mean say for a beastmen player who lost his chieftain due to some crappy rolls can buy
another chieftain, but this chieftain will not be the warband leader?

I think it means you can never re-purchase a chieftain ever, but this means that my decent henchmen (gors) will
have to fill his place meaning that I will only ever have 3 decent henchmen and the rest will be dogs and my
minotaur. Which seems unfair as I am supposed to be a good close combat warband, but I am actually not that
good compared to a warband such as orcs (yeah I've made this comparison before lol).

So am I correct in my understanding of this rule?

And my second question involves a dead hero who is not a warband leader. So I lost my shaman the other day
because of the empire in flames roll of 3 6's (such a horrible roll for anyone who has an evil warband) This resulted
in my shaman rolling a 1, which was put out of action then I rolled a 1 and a 4 and he died. Then I went to purchase
him back. Ok I rolled a 5 and a 6 for unit experience and was able to get him back.

Do you need to roll their starting experience to re-hire a hero that you lost? If you do, do you have to spend the 2gc
per experience point they have when they start out?

I did all of the above and purchased my shaman back for like 73gc or something with his 2 maces.

Let me know if I am correct, and if I am then I am one sad puppy lol.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Grimtoof
Hero
Hero
Grimtoof

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 20:18

Another question just popped into my mind as I was writing this.

If I ever roll 3 6's again for exploration, does my entire warband have to
participate? If so I may make a house rule to remove this roll and the orc encampment
roll, as they can cripple your warband even if it is really powerful (which seems odd that even an amazing warband takes the same number of casualties as a starter warband, and even their elite heroes get beaten down by a pathetic patrol).
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 21:07

The 3 sixes roll is horrific for an evil band that rolls poorly. I got beat by skaven who were then smacked down by the patrol. We hadn't used EiF rules for a long time--now I remember why.

As far as who has to roll, we ruled that only heroes and hencmen that were not wounded in the previous battle (the battle that produced the result) were eligible to fight in the event.

Anyway on to your dead heroes. For the leader as the rules are written you may never re-hire the leader once its dead. Vampires are an exception.

For your shaman--The rules for hiring experienced henchmen have nothing to do hiring a hero. Its a completely separate rule.

To hire a hero at any point all you do is pay the hero's cost and equip him.
Back to top Go down
Grimtoof
Hero
Hero
Grimtoof

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 22:25

Ok thanks, this is really annoying still though lol because not being able to hire a chieftain ever again is dumb, I mean you should be able to hire a chieftain again but just not have the leader special ability. Losing an assassin adept, chieftain, or orc warboss are huge losses that can't be replaced with leveling henchmen to hero standard. I am also conflicted because it even says in their warband sheets that their warbands must include atleast 1, no more no less, yet some how that only works at the start.

I don't know it just seems unfair that some warbands can, and others can't.

Thanks for the news about my shaman that means I have 22 more gc on my roster again.

I think I am going to talk to the others about making a house rule about chieftains, warbosses, assassin adepts, etc. so those warbands don't get jipped like that. Just make it so they don't have the leader ability anymore.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 23:33

If you browse through old threads you will find threads about killing off a leader because he is crap, threads about house rules to re-hire a leader, etc. It depends on the group. We've not had too many problems with just following the book in my group, but whatever works for you. As long as you remember its a house rule in case you play in another group.

I'm playing in 2 groups at the moment. One has no problem with 'dual weild' and one has a house +1 to hit rule if you use 2 weapons. I never get it right.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 6:43

VK is correct. Different groups have different house-rules for this. However, this is not a rule that my gaming group has ever had a problem with. I like the rule in that it adds extra challenge to the game and a great opportunity for narrative within your campaign.

PROTECT YOUR LEADER! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul 2011 - 22:30

If I may add a little comment, think about it fluff wise.

Are your warband in Mordheim or in some more exotic location. Peharps they are in Lustria or in Cathay, it would be rather difficult for a Reikland warband to find a new captain in Kehmri. You should also consider where the warband hails from, for example a orc tribe from the southlands would be hard pressed to find suitable warriors in Mordheim let alone a boss (no idea how they ended up there though...) actually this give me some ideas about using "local talent".

Anyway you might also want to look at it from the warbands perspective. Perhaps the dead leader was an idiot or an annoying old sod who the remaing heroes are glad to be rid of. Perhaps one of the champions had been planning a coup and the leaders death was no mere accident. Maybe the necromancer thougt he was ready to take over the leadership, he propably will not be too interested in having a new vampire turn up to ruin his fun.

My point is that there might be several reasons for the warband NOT to recruit a new leader. I always try to look at it in a fluffy kind of way.

But the game is supposed to be fun and the rules shouldnt stop that. I will gladly bend and break the rules if it suits the situation and goes with the spirit of the setting

Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
Sponsored content

Dead heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead heroes   Dead heroes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead heroes
Page 1 of 1