Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ordo Septenarius' Minis

Go down 
+6
5pointer
BurnTheWitch
smokezombie
DeafNala
Eliazar
Ordo Septenarius
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Empty
PostSubject: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 8:21

Hey all,

I put this off forever; the truth is, I am always painting, but suffer immense difficulty when trying to photograph my stuff. I purchased a light cube and some indirect lighting and have been practicing lighting and photography techniques, including aperture and macro settings. It's safe to say, I have a lot of room to improve (Often, I find the lens of the camera unforgiving, and think, "That looks terrible!" after I have photographed something that I thought looked so good with the naked eye).

I thought I'd start with these test subjects, below:

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture2

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture1

The above is a contest piece that I did in 2002 when I lived in Japan. The local hobby store, Yellow Submarine, had their painting contest ("The Golden Brush" — I wonder where they got that from) and I won in the single model under 8 hours contest. The basing I did later. It's one of my favorites and was the leader of my warband back when I played Skaven.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture8

I tend to use the above chap in my Possessed Warband.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture4

The above was the 2nd in command of my Skaven Warband.

I plan to post more (including my new projects, coming soon) and hopefully by then, my photography skills will have improved.

Thanks,

OS

Last edited by Ordo Septenarius on Tue 24 May 2011 - 17:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 9:07

Very nicely painted miniatures! I'm not sure what your problem with your photography skills is, to me, the pictures look just fine Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 11:34

The minis & the background scenery look GREAT; AND the quality of the photos is JUST FINE! High definition photos tend to magnify little imperfections; add to this having an image several times larger than the subject & you'll have a picture to give any artist a terminal case of the Deep Purple Horrors. What a Face
I for one am looking forward to more of your creations...some photos of the terrain would be cool too. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 13:59

You allraedy have the skills. The painting looks great and the photos are perfect.
I am unashamedly stealing your red blades Suspect
These minis look really nice.
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 14:53

I an't see the problem with the photos or the painting Neutral

But what's up with the red swords? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 16:07

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments and comments.

@Deafnala: Thank you; I really enjoy making scenery for my group, but I am the only one that does it, so that tends to burn me out rather quickly. Most of our stuff is low-to-the-table, as no-one plays shooty warbands, so climbing doesn't feel organic within the campaign.

Also noted about the photos; maybe I should just kick things down a notch, doing low-rez, lower aperture, because the blending on the skaven look seamless in real life, but here it's clearly visible.

@BurnTheWitch: I've been painting since the late 80s, and there was this trend amongst the 'Eavy Metal crew to have colored blades, especially on chaos weapons. I liked the idea of the blades somehow being red, and besides, I thought it contrasts the poison and gem in the hilt of the tail-blade.

Edited: I thought I'd add a few that I found (that I took pics for for the trading pit) from high school. Yeah, it's been a while:

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture5

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture3
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 24 May 2011 - 20:27

Ordo, it looks great though, was just wondering Very Happy
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011 - 20:14

Nice stuff, classic style (which is an era I have a particular fondness for!).

On a matter of pure coincidence, I've just bought that flagellant mini for my Witch Hunters warband Smile
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 7:09

Another update for everyone; hope you enjoy, and as usual, comments and/or criticism are appreciated.

The first is usable in both my Beastman and Possessed Warband; he can be used as a hero type, and as we don't play WYSIWYG, his armament is irrelevant (but I give him an axe and a shield normally).

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArmoredBeastieFront

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArmoredBeastieShield

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArmoredBeastie34

Also a part of the aforementioned warbands, my chaos/dark/whatever hounds are a force to be reckoned with. They're also some of my newer models, and my beastman warband is still in the works, and I hope to have it ready in a month or so. But for now, just bits and pieces!

Ordo Septenarius' Minis BeastHoundLeft14

Ordo Septenarius' Minis BeasthoundLeftSide

Ordo Septenarius' Minis BeastHoundRight

Ordo Septenarius' Minis BeastHoundTail

The aperture was way open for these, hence the brightness of the pics.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 7:16

Here are some more, but honestly, they're quite old (and a couple of them aren't even usable for Mordheim -- A Blood Bowl Treeman?).

Ordo Septenarius' Minis TreemanFront

Ordo Septenarius' Minis TreemanDetail

I painted the Treeman above when I was about 12, but it's one I've held onto throughout the years (yes, it's over 20 years old!). The basing and painting techniques are a little embarrassing (looking back on things), but I had fun mounting the skull on the helmet and even made a shroom from green stuff.

I have always liked the classic Citadel Ogres; I have about 4 of the below model, all painted differently. This one was done about 12 years ago, but is still one of my favorites, and indeed, sees use in games, as well.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis OldogreFront

Ordo Septenarius' Minis OldOgreBack

And also, a grey wolf that I have three of (painted identically) that I used in human bands, specifically for witch hunters. I believe it's Rackham, but I could be mistaken.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Greywolfgroundlevel

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Greywolfleftside
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 7:26

Last set! I promise.

I have been wanting to build a "good" warband to add to my Possessed and Beastmen (WIP), hence the batch of archers (as I have never done a shooty warband). These guys I call "The Fodderettes," as they're there to shoot crazily and boost numbers for route tests. I simply wanted to do something quick, and gave myself a 6 hour time limit to do these four figs (collectively). I had to paint with the time in mind (not just stop painting when the time expired), so I budgeted accordingly, and here is the result:

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArchersGroupFront

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArchersBackGroup

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArcherGroupClose

Ordo Septenarius' Minis ArcherGroupStacked

And because I mentioned it, the other badass in my old Skaven warband (the first two are in the first post in this thread):

Ordo Septenarius' Minis RatOgreFront

Ordo Septenarius' Minis RatOgreRear

I hope to put some more up soon, but until then, enjoy! And I always appreciate comments and criticism.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2011 - 7:30

Last one. I swear this time. PM on my blog about whether or not I had any minis of "That one popular game" laying around. There are a few. Here's one I found, with his arm being held on with artists tack.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture6

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture7
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun 2011 - 19:27

Blog has been updated with these pics, too. Check it out if you have the time/interest!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun 2011 - 21:46

For some reason or other the Chaos Marines are just SO MUCH COOLER than their Loyalist/Nazi Brethren. VERY NICE WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 5:09

I put a couple more up. I use these Skellies as Brethren or Darksouls in my Possessed Warband.

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture1

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture2

Ordo Septenarius' Minis Picture3
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 11:58

COOL LOOKING SKELLIES! While not particularly flashy...appropriately so...the dull metallic finish looks TERRIFIC.VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 13:54

Very nice. What colors did you use for the red, grey and metals?
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 16:47

The leather on the skellies was Dark Flesh, blended up with Dark Highlights, and finally, just a drop of Oiled Leather.

The armor was black, highlighted with a very dark Armor Grey, dry-brushed with Boltgun Metal/Granite 50/50 mix and finally highlighted using only Light Grey.

Honestly, it's something that I did for these, and have been trying to redo ever since, but it hasn't worked. Ever just have all the painting stars aligned, I guess at the right place and right time? That's what I felt like happened here.

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 18:20

Ordo Septenarius wrote:
Honestly, it's something that I did for these, and have been trying to redo ever since, but it hasn't worked. Ever just have all the painting stars aligned, I guess at the right place and right time? That's what I felt like happened here.

I can relate...with moi it's yet another sign of imminent senility. Suspect
Back to top Go down
BurnTheWitch
General
General
BurnTheWitch

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 20:04

Oh I love the old boneripper mini! He was so cool, before they turned him in to that "undead-machine-rat-ogre" that he is now Crying or Very sad

Good job on all the minis Smile
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 15:28

Thanks for color-advice, even though I haven't heard the name of half of them so far. Are they all GWs?
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 16:33

No, I don't use GW, except for metallics (GW is one of my last choices for paints) <_<)

Reaper Master series is what I use, with some of the older Pro series in there, as well.

Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 21:11

Great minis and an awesome paintjob, especially the skaven.I´ve never seen this treeman before, funny guy!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2013 - 7:00

Hello, everyone. It's been a while, and I have been doing other games beside Mordheim. Check out my newest update (I bought an airbrush). Check it out when you can!

http://mordheimpdx.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2013 - 13:40

CONGRATS on the airbrush! The Rhino & the Chaos Hounds are LOOKIN' GOOG! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ordo Septenarius' Minis   Ordo Septenarius' Minis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ordo Septenarius' Minis
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next