Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Witch Hunter Races

Go down 
+10
HarryMason
Lydor
Grimscull
Von Kurst
StyrofoamKing
RationalLemming
catferret
mweaver
Eliazar
Drayven
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

hunter - Witch Hunter Races Empty
PostSubject: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011 - 15:46

I'm currently looking for models for my first Witch Hunter warband. My question is pretty simple, is there anything that states that WH are only human? I'm considering doing a mix of races like throwing in some dwarf flagellants and such.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011 - 15:49

Well, the basic Witch Hunters are followers of Sigmar, and I believe only humans believe in Sigmar. The other races have their own gods.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011 - 17:02

And the stats/rules are different for the different races - for examples, dwarves have movement 3, the Hard to Kill rule, etc.

With the official background, a multi-racial witch hunter warband would not make a lot of sense, since all of the WH races are extremely xenophobic, and amongst humans witch hunters are probably the most extreme example of paranoid psychos (perhaps a little unfair, since there are witches and warlocks, I suppose). Still, you could always try cobbling up something with a backstory that explains them. The problem will be balancing them with other warbands in game terms. A dwarf flagellant would be more expensive than a human flagellant.

Alternatively, you could just use the human stats and rules but use dwarf/elf whatever models. Basically you are running an official witch hunter warband, just using alternative models.

Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011 - 19:51

Going to some old WFRP background, Dwarven "witch hunters" took a very different approach. While human witch hunters focus on oratory to rouse a big mob, dwarven witch hunters were hardcore badasses able to take on the undead single handed.

I'm trying to find my copy of Dwarfs: Stone and Steel from 1st ed WFRP. It was full of cool stuff about the Dwarven deities and the cults that followed them. Can't remember the Dwarf god of the dead/spirits that was loosely equivalent to the human god Morr.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011 - 23:16

Slightly off-topic but you can also play other warbands with a Witch Hunter theme.

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t3888-orc-witch-hunters

Here is what Warboss Kurgan has done with an orc warband. They play as normal orcs but he prentends that they are which hunters who follow the god Sigmork.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011 - 1:25

It does provide some wonderful opportunities to make some unique figures.

Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011 - 5:16

Dwarf gods: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Grimnir

Again, you can do the "counts as" system, which uses each model as a stand in for another race (i.e. use dwarf models, with weaker human stats.) Or, you can write your own.

I think I fun one might be a partial "counts as". How's this:

Cult of Signir
There was recently born in the Grey Mountains a group of devout Sigmarites that strayed from the true teachings of the Grand Theologian and bordered upon heresy: the Cult of Signir. Due to a particular re-translation of the ancient text, they belief that Sigmar was not just a "Dwarf-friend", but a "Dwarf Spirit"... and thus, they worship Sigmar as a human incarnation of the Dwarf Warrior god Grimnir. Agents of the proper teachings have tried to set them on the right path, but they have defied all edicts and started to spread their faith. Their flock is a loyal yet unstable crew, consisting of lowly peasants and Dwarf fanatics, known as Slayers. These dwarven berserkers have abandoned their axes in favor of the Sigmarite flail, while the humans have done the opposite- shunning Imperial fashion in favor of massive beards, gromril, and golden ancestor masks. The cult's symbol is the Hammer crossed with the Axe.

Thus, you use pure human Witch hunter rules, but you use Dwarf slayers for the flaggs (and maybe model them with flails.) The major "dwarfishness" comes from your choice of hired swords and equipment, really... deck them out with gromril armor and weapons. Hire a Troll Slayer HS from the very start. If you have more dough later, test out the Journeyman Runesmith HS, found in the Nemesis Crown supplement. How's that sound?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011 - 15:47

Um...given their skill set and limited numbers my witch hunters hire a lot of Hired Swords. They always start with the Elven Ranger for extra $. Sometimes they hire a dwarf either a Troll Slayer or one of the unofficial (Sigmar is the most famous Dwarf Friend after all.) An ogre bodyguard and the halfling cook are pretty common as well. Its fairly easy to end up with a multi-racial band within the rules.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011 - 17:25

I love the Cult of Signir! But a whole WH-Warband consisting of "count as" dwarfs might be a little too much. Remembering which was which and such. A few dwarfish models (Cult-brohers) in a mainly human or mixe-raced Band is certainly no problem though.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011 - 18:00

Alternatively, you could have the cult be all humans, and have your Flaggents being human slayers... immune crazed humans with orange mohawks and tattoos! geek
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011 - 0:18

Dwarf wannabes as well as suicidal? So, doubly crazy? I kinda like it.
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011 - 14:44

Thanks for the feedback all, some good ideas in there. My plan was just to use dwarf models and such but use the plain Witch Hunter stats. What I've ended up doing is ordering some Reaper minis and I'm going with a crusader theme. I'm still pretty new at this stuff so I'm not quite comfortable cutting up models and splicing them back together yet. Still have to figure out my flagellant models though, not alot of stuff out there with flails. Guess I may have to cut the flails off of some of the Skaven models...
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011 - 21:38

"I'm still pretty new at this stuff so I'm not quite comfortable cutting up models and splicing them back together yet. "

Plastic models are great for this sort of conversion - easier to cut, easier to glue together, and cheaper than metal to boot. Plus, GW makes a ton of human kits that are very interchangeable.

That said, Reaper makes some handsome Crusader minis! I have used some of them for my Bretonnian heroes.
Back to top Go down
Lydor
Captain
Captain
Lydor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 10:29

hunter - Witch Hunter Races Mage-hunter-strike-force

I use these as "Elven" witch hunters. i use all the stats for witch hunters, but they look awesome. i also use hunting cats instead of warhounds

hunter - Witch Hunter Races 1189312988-7723-0
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 19:29

Hey, I'm as a cheap as they get... but I have to say, that with the exception on the Empire Militia sprue (which also came with Mordheim, back in the day), the Flagellant box is the best box I've ever purchased. I've used it to make a whole Witch Hunter warband (zealots, flaggs, zealots, and with a with Merc bits, the Witch Hunter heroes), a Rogue Psyker, a flayerkin, slaves, a heap of pirates... and I still have tons left over! It's just a handy box to have!
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 19:33

I don't actually see a flagellant box on their site anywhere?
Back to top Go down
HarryMason
Knight
Knight
HarryMason

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 20:32

Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 21:04

D'oh! i was looking under the Mordheim pieces Razz thanks
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 22:36

Lydor wrote:

I use these as "Elven" witch hunters. i use all the stats for witch hunters, but they look awesome. i also use hunting cats instead of warhounds

These are some nice minis and would also make some great Dark Elves. But the cats aren't up to the sculpting-standard of the PP-Minis, or are they? Imagine them looking strange together.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 3:53

Ah! Well, if you're new to Mord and/or GW, the BEST box you can buy is the Empire "Free Company" box.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440091a&prodId=prod20048

They were originally built for Mordheim when it first debuted (to represent the Mercenaries), and it is still one of the most versatile and handy sets I've ever seen. Of course, it was better when they gave you the bonus "middenheim" sprue and the bonus items sprue, but you can't get everything. At 20 guys for $35 US, with lots of extra heads, weapons and arms, it's a no-regret buy.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 7:04

@StyrofoamKing: I totally agree, this plastic sprue box is with the flagellants box the best box GW has produced until now.

I recommend to use the treasure hunter rules as basis for your dwarf witch hunters.(like warboss Kurgan with his witch hunter orks)

Ok you don't have the useful wardogs, but you have dwarf flagellant heroes from the beginning, a leader with a pistol and several choices for crossbow marksman.

Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 12:33

Yup, the EMpire Militia (old Mordheim mercs) box is the best plastic infantry set GW has ever produced.
Back to top Go down
Zero88
Youngblood
Youngblood
Zero88

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 11:21

what would happen if a dwarf or elf grew up alone in reikland not knowing anything about there heritage? im sure theyd just go with the flow wouldnt they?
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 17:35

That makes me think about Cpt. Carrot from the Discworld-Books. A human among dwarfs, thinking himself a dwarf ^^
But I believe an elf or dwarf in Reikland wouldn't get the chance to "go with the flow". The humans have eyes to see and certainly would put that person in its place (which is not a church of Sigmar).

And cause it fits:
hunter - Witch Hunter Races Adopti10
The left bubble says: "Robert, you're adopted." The right one "Poor bastard!"
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011 - 17:41

Empire Dwarfs I believe sometimes follow Sigmar. Elves are elves. They have their own traditions and are outsiders in Human areas. But Dwarfs are so common in the Empire it is not too big of a deal most the time.

Sigmar is Dwarf-Friend and one of the Cult of Sigmar's main tennets is to aid Dwarfs. According to the Warhammer Fantasy RPG (2nd Ed) the Empire has a holliday where one day a year even the emperor would have to stand aside and allow a Dwarf to pass him on a road!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunter Races   hunter - Witch Hunter Races Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Witch Hunter Races
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next