Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Empty
PostSubject: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan 2011 - 13:42

In my gaming group we normally play multlayer games, only very seldom a classic two player setting.

We developed several scenarios to make it a little more intersting.

But we have not played a campaign in BtB style yet.

So we develop our warbands but do not have an ultimate goal.

How could a campaign based mostly on multiplayer scenarios look like?

Normally you have more casualties in multiplayer games ( in our experience) than in a normal one. This could be a big problem.

One idea is to raise the possible campaign points for the winner, the "second" place and so on, and to use a setting similar to BtB.

Sartori very nicely converted the BtB setting into the Mordheim setting.

So this would be a possibility.

But maybe someone on this board developed another alternative and would liketo share it with me/us.

Thanks

SerialMoM
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011 - 22:02

Yeah I think you could do it pretty easily. There are a couple of the Objectives that really only work one on one, like the Hidden Threat.
Back to top Go down
vince
Hero
Hero
vince

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeTue 25 Jan 2011 - 13:05

I'm in the same boat, having a group of players who seldomly play in a one-against-one setup.

We're now just playing games against each other, but without a longer term campaign in mind other than 'surviving mordheim'.

In my experience, the number of casualties isn't that much of a problem, it's the problem of someone loosing a few models to shooting or magic early in the game and then routing on the 3rd or 4th turn. This leaves him/her with a whole afternoon not doing anything but watching the game.

also, the game time increases exponentially with the number of players. (2 warbands can be done in an hour and a half, while a game of 4 or more players easily takes a full afternoon.) We've had several tries to limit this as much as possible, but we end up to play allied games mostly.

Vince
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011 - 22:16

@vince:
this also happens to us. thegame time is easily around 3-4 hours for a 4player setup.

But it is more fun too. In my gaming group we do not ally normally. I do not think that a three player setup would be fair anymore.

I am currently workin on an idea for a short story driven campaogn. But i do not know if we will not chahge the warbands ( again).

SerialMoM
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011 - 1:52

As long as your group enjoys the games, go for it.

I find 3 player games enjoyable as long as each warband gets to play. Often one guy will get knocked out early and he's likely to go home if the others make a fight of it and no other games are forthcoming. That makes for long drives with not much to show for it.

If there are more than three players I tend to get bored since the pace is so slow and I know the game is unlikely to end before the store closes.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011 - 2:40

SerialMoM wrote:

Sartori very nicely converted the BtB setting into the Mordheim setting.
SerialMoM

How so and where can i find it?

My group has played a lot of multiplayer game (3-5 warbands usually) and besides the early rout there are no issues with campaign structure we have encountered.

If someone does go out fast, there are always modeling projects of video games to occupy them the rest of the night!

One suggestion is not restrict yourself to the Chaos in the Streets scenarios, they get old fast. Play any and every scenario you would play in a 2 player game, with not much effort they can be translated. One thing we are sure to do is to restrict deployment to 6" onto the board rather than the usual 8" in most scenarios. With every board edge taken up there is little time to maneuver into good positions though.
Back to top Go down
vince
Hero
Hero
vince

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011 - 15:35

The best way to speed up a more-player game is to allow more than one player to play at a time. This is easiest when you are playing two teams, but can be done in a free-for-all-game as well.

In a four player game where player are seated:
N
W- - -E
S
The players N and S could play at the same time, while the players W and E also play at the same time. Just be careful to move all chargers before other movement and make some house rules on models which simultaneously charge each other.

In a five player game we usually play star. Players are seated as follows:
W
G - - - - - - U
R - - - B
The players W and B start the game. As soon as W and B have finished, the next players clockwise play, which are U and R. After that, players G and B play. We have the rule that the player seated left of a player looks along with him as he is playing (checking any dice rolls, etc.) while the unoccupied player is the referee that turn.

This causes some chaos, but speeds up the game tremendously. After 2 games we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Players with 3 or more than 5 players are less than desirable and require special scenario’s to play speedy and enjoyable. Most often we appoint an arbiter who thinks of a special scenario to help things a little.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign   Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with a multiplayer games only campaign
Page 1 of 1