Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eagle5
Captain
Captain
Eagle5

Trading Reputation : 0

great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Empty
PostSubject: Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants   great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 6:12

The Great Claw on Possessed gives +1 S to an attack, but you also get an extra attack as well. For your 50g you essentially bought another attack. According to a Possessed starting stats and the text description, a Possessed model would have two regualr attacks at S4, and one attack with the Claw at S5.

The reason why I'm asking this, is that every place I've seen where they talk about Mutants getting the Great Claw, they are screwed over and the Claw is made to function like it was simply another weapon. Give a Mutant hammer/dagger, he attacks twice at S3 (3g for his weapons). Give him a Great Claw and a dagger, he attacks twice - one S3 one S4 (50g for his weapons). Anyone else see a problem with this?

Let me go one step further.

No Mutations: Possessed 2 attacks at S4 for 0g; Mutant 2 attacks at S3 for 3g (hammer /dagger)
Extra Limb: Possessed 3 attacks at S4 for 40g; Mutant 3 attacks at S3 for 46g (2 hammers /dagger)
Great Claw: Possessed 3 attacks 2xS4 and 1xS5 for 50g; Mutant 2 attacks 1xS4 1xS3 for 50g (dagger)

Possessed: Extra Limb vs Great Claw
For 40g you gain an attack
For 50g you gain an attack at +1S
The extra 10g buys you an additional S on your extra attack

Mutant: Extra Limb vs Great Claw
For 43g you gain an attack
For 47g you gain +1 S on one of your attacks (you do not gain an attack as in the 43g above)
The extra 4g you lose an attack, but one of remaining is at +1 S

Umm, that sucks.

So, Great Claw: 'Great' for Possessed; 'Not So Great' for Mutants.

In fact, if you have a Mutant with that mutation, that's how you should write it down...

'Not So Great Claw.'

Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants   great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 6:43

In my circle we only have one guy that plays Posessed, but we have always gone with the RAW in the basic book. I am not aware of anything that changes it from giving you +1 attack at +1 strength whether you are a possessed or a mutant.

Maybe an FAQ somewhere we missed?
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants   great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 9:52

This has been debated on many occasions (e.g. https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2637-chaos-mutation-great-claw?highlight=great+claw ), and each gaming group reaches its own conclusions. Some treat the great claw as a weapon, some treat it as an extra limb with a set attack, some treat it as a weapon you can only use once per round of combat.

It's one of the items that needs to be resolved by another rules review.
Back to top Go down
Eagle5
Captain
Captain
Eagle5

PostSubject: Re: Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants   great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 10:38

Identity wrote:
This has been debated on many occasions (e.g. https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2637-chaos-mutation-great-claw?highlight=great+claw ), and each gaming group reaches its own conclusions. Some treat the great claw as a weapon, some treat it as an extra limb with a set attack, some treat it as a weapon you can only use once per round of combat.

It's one of the items that needs to be resolved by another rules review.

Yeah, I saw that thread. They were dealing mostly with Mutants. Personally, I think it should be handled as if it were a weapon, and the bonuses it confers are indictative of that weapon.

Like this:

Mutation: Great Claw - One of the mutant's arms ends in a Great Claw which counts as a permanent weapon as below.

Great Claw
Range: Close Combat...........Strength: As User...........Special Rules: Powerful Hit, Redundant
Powerful Hit: Grants model one extra attack at +1 S
Redundant: At least one other melee weapon (other than a Great Claw) must be used for the model to count as dual wielding.

From reading the description, this appears to be what they intended, but stating it this way would clear up any multiple attack issues (you can use claw or sword or whatever, all attacks besides special one are at user's strength), keeps the extra dual wield attack in (i.e. doesn't screw over Mutants), and doesn't allow a cheesy player to put two on his Possessed and claim he's dual wielding and get five attacks from the start.

If you feel 240g for a S4 T4 experience gaining hero with 5 starting attacks is fine, you can just take out the Redundant effect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants   great claw - Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Claw on Possessed vs Mutants
Page 1 of 1