Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Is spear still worth it?

Go down 
+18
JAFisher44
wyldhunt
eternaldream
Figgy
perfesser
CygnusMaximus
Mortimer
Sven The Mighty
bc99
Admin Tom
Solinan
Erkwin
DeafNala
Boehm
cianty
lord siwoc
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Ashton
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 2:36

NEWS Flash

It should work like any other Strike First, meaning it is not special.

Here is what the author emailed to me:

Actually I think it should just work like all other Strike First skills, spells, and weapons. Just treat it as Strike First.
Back to top Go down
Crunch
Youngblood
Youngblood
Crunch

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 2:38

I think it absurd to read Ledz Go! as giving an overriding ability to attack first in close combat. I interpret it as:

Any Orc or Goblin within 4" of the Shaman will automatically 'strike first' in hand-to-hand combat regardless of other circumstances.

Which seems an entirely reasonable reading since the invention of the universal 'strike first' ability.

Don't take this the wrong way Da Bank, but who are you?
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 2:54

Da Bank is the man! He is an Answer Mod on the SG forums, given authority by GW to make rulings on Mordheim rules.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 2:58

@Crunch. I am the Answer MOD for Mordheim and have been for quite a few years now.

The author of Da Orc Mob...Mark Havener emailed me back and he stats there is nothing special with Letz Go and should work like any other Strike's First.

I find it difficult that I would have ruled otherwise as if it concerns Da Orcs I always email Mark about them for his response. I could have but it would not be normal of me to put it at opposites of the author. Oh well.

One must remember there are a few ways to see things and as noted I highlighted in red those words that could make one see it another way.

I will update the SG FAQ later on but you guys have it now.
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 3:04

Well, Da Bank, I don't know why you did it, but you did. In this thread:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/rules-and-gameplay-f1/ledz-go-spell-t1321.htm

You rule that it goes before strike first. Since the SG forums are gone forever I can't show you where you ruled that way there.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 3:12

LOL, neither do I. I can go back and change my report on that thread. I wish SG never lost the old forum as there was a ton of info there.

Oh well, we got it straight from the "horses" mouth. Hoped it helped.
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 3:13

Well, I'm happy. Well, happy that I got my way. Da Mob is still sickeningly strong in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 4:16

Thanks Da Mob.. I mean Bank. We appreciate your connections Wink

Hilarious.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 4:47

JAFisher44 wrote:
Well, I'm happy. Well, happy that I got my way. Da Mob is still sickeningly strong in my opinion.

Nothing like graciousness in victory. I will remember Da Mobs sickening strength the next time I'm beaten by a warband I'm giving the underdog bonus for being 100+ less in rating. Smile

But since I feel the same way about Dwarfs it just indicates to me that both are poorly written.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 10:00

Oh well, oh well...

First off: I'm glad Mark decided this way. Props to the man!

Second: Props to DaBank for asking for Mark's opinion. He could have just sticked to his old ruling on this matter. He does have the power to. Cheers!

Lastly: No props for none of us. Can you believe how horribly derailed this thread is? Spears anyone? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 11:36

cianty wrote:

Second: Props to DaBank for asking for Mark's opinion. He could have just sticked to his old ruling on this matter. He does have the power to. Cheers! Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes

@Cianty..Thanks. I know it is hard for some to believe but I do check past emails, threads and contact those who have been involved on matters. Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_cheers I am sure some believe I pull the stuff out of the air.

I have polled different groups in different areas of the world to get their viewpoints.

Yes, sorry to whoever's thread this was as we hijacked it but a lot of good came out of it.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 11:39

Da Bank wrote:
Yes, sorry to whoever's thread this was as we hijacked it but a lot of good came out of it.

Absolutely! And I think the original topic has been sufficiently discussed anyways. So I think we can all be happy. Smile
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 14:35

cianty wrote:
Lastly: No props for none of us. Can you believe how horribly derailed this thread is? Spears anyone? Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes

Double negative! That means props for everyone!

Original topic: Spears are only good under the official rules if weilded by a model with Initiative 4 or better. You should probably back that up with a club and your free dagger for those times when you get charged by models that have higher Initiative than you do.

Von Kursk wrote:
Nothing like graciousness in victory. I will
remember Da Mobs sickening strength the next time I'm beaten by a
warband I'm giving the underdog bonus for being 100+ less in rating. Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_smile

But since I feel the same way about Dwarfs it just indicates to me that both are poorly written.

I didn't mean to be ingracious. I just get tired of getting my butt kicked by cheap models in huge numbers with cheap range and tons of auto hit options.

Well, perhaps we should get together and explain to eachother how to play the other's warband.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 14:53

JAFisher44 wrote:

Well, perhaps we should get together and explain to eachother how to play the other's warband.

LOL! I do think it would be fun to play a game. Each one of us would have a better game than usual when facing the orcs/dwarfs.

Cheers mate!

Edit: Oh and spears!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 15:00

JAFisher44 wrote:
cianty wrote:
Lastly: No props for none of us. Can you believe how horribly derailed this thread is? Spears anyone? Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes

Double negative! That means props for everyone!

Ha ha. Smarta$$. Laughing

Von Kurst wrote:
Edit: Oh and spears!

Ha ha. Forget it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 19:13

Wow so one of the great mysteries plaguing mordheim has finally been answered, sweet! Thanks DaBank, for the effort in contacting Mark to get his oppnion, it's good to know i shared the same line of thought.

EDIT: and no a spear is still not worth it! Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_lol Best fix, reduce cost to 5-8 gc!
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 19:57

I don't know, I think they're still worth it for high Initiative characters. I'll probably keep buying spears for my Skaven.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is spear still worth it?   Is spear still worth it? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is spear still worth it?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4