Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tips for playable terrain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Narcissus
Knight
Knight
Narcissus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Tips for playable terrain Empty
PostSubject: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 9:44

I am wondering what tips everyone has to maximize the playability of their boards and terrain. I am looking for tips to make my terrain and other peoples' terrain more playable. I have seen a wide range of terrain on this site and I would like to hear the opinions of different players as to how to make the games work best. It might be interesting to include how different terrain parameters can affect gameplay (ex. more open windows=more shooting).

Ideas of considerations in making a piece:
Number of levels
Size of levels
Size of a piece
Base or no base
Amount of destruction
Are all levels accessible?
Elevated bases?
How many set of stairs?
Multiple entrances and exits?
How much terrain
Size of streets
Size of windows and doorways
Are windows open or closed

Thanks. Looking forward to the responses!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 21:26

Just making a good balance is good. Some buildings who just provide shelter, some who provide good ranged attack platforms, some buildings several storeys high (great centerpieces; wizard towers or some such).

All of those buildings have their own strategic value, and all looks good. Also, having a multi-faceted battleground will make any battles more interesting.
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep 2010 - 21:38

Have ways of moving between some of the buildings above ground level - otherwise shooty warbands will just camp in the upper floors and mow down people trying to storm their building.
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
BargainBinArcher
Champion
Champion
BargainBinArcher

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 3:06

Great thread idea. I'm not an expert or anything, but I'll share my opinions and ideas.

For starters, a building has got to have a base of some kind. The pre-made buildings that came with the starter set had no bases, which made them pretty fragile. Bases are a MUST.

Floors. I find that 2" to 2.5" is a good height from floor-to-ceiling for each level. When it come to how many floors, the sky's the limit, really, but when you keep in mind how long it takes in-game for a model to climb a really high building, you may just realize that a 3' tall mega-tower probably won't see much action towards the top. I usually limit myself to 4 floors.

Doorways that I've made are 1.25" wide and 1.75" tall. This seems to scale well with standard human miniatures. With windows at ground level, you have to consider whether or not you want models to be allowed to climb through them or fight on either side of them. Also, from a flavor perspective, ground level windows are most likely to be boarded up, because looters aren't as likely to climb into your shop from the 5th floor windows.

Ladder and stairs are important, especially if you want to encourage players to climb around on the upper levels. But still, it's overkill to have so many ladders (like 3 in each building) because then it makes climbing rules irrelevant. This is supposed to be the ruined city of Mordheim, and it's not like there's someone that came through and demanded that it be up to code with wheelchair ramps and everything. Instead, try and make above-ground connections from buildings with stairs to those without.

And finally, the city of Mordheim is supposed to be cramped and dirty, full of narrow winding streets, etc. At the same time, you have to be able to actually fit your hand in there to move models around, especially during combat where models are getting knocked down and stunned on a frequent basis. The less open and accessible the building is, the more likely it's going to be clumsily knocked around as one your fellow gamers struggles to move his models around inside. If your street is less than 3" wide, get ready for a building to be knocked over.

Remember the 3-story red building from the boxed set? The one where you need chopsticks and a dental mirror to move around insde? That's a good example of a building not being open enough.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus
Knight
Knight
Narcissus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 4:41

Great tips so far everyone. Keep them coming!

Large buildings vs many small buildings?
All floors open in a building or only some accessible?
Buildings close together or spread out?
Rubble or no rubble?
Large base, small base, or no base on terrain?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 6:40

Oh, and when fighting shooty warband campers:
- Remember to HIDE
- Advance SLOWLY between cover
- And hold your thumbs you DONT get the Skirmish scenario.

Good luck with the terrain!

Oh, and remember, NO terrain is sometimes GOOD terrain, like plazas with maybe just a raised platform in the middle. Looks great, and is kind of unnerving too, as everyone feels naked when moving across it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for playable terrain   Tips for playable terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips for playable terrain
Page 1 of 1