Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Empty
PostSubject: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug 2010 - 17:37

I hope this section is right.

Within this thread is want to write down all the house rules we curently use in our gaming group. Some rules we will only test in few games as experimental house rules, but i want to give you the possibility to participate with our experience.

Standard house rules:
Double wield: -1 to hit on both attacks
New combat skill: Two weapon fighter: No modifier due to two weapon fighting style
Armour:
Shields: 5+ armour save in close combat
Light armour: 6+ ward save against rolls on injury table (after game)
Heavy armour and Ilthimar armour: 5+ ward save against rolls on injury table
Gromril armour: 4+ ward save against rolls on injury table

Experimental house rules:
Handguns: S 5 no armour piercing
Hochland long rifle: add accuracy rule, S5
Quickshot: add -1 to hit modifier

Run with enemies within 8 inch. Possible if leadership test was successful. you cannot run within a control zone of an enemy ( 2 inch around enemy model).

New special attack close combat: "throw him down": One attack instead of all other attacks. hit as normal, instead of normal wound roll, use your strength against the strength ( instead of toughness) of your oponent. If you are able to "wound", oponent will be thrown down of the building, bridge or whatever is there. Because of the hit the enemy will not be wounded, but by the fall he may be wounded of course. We used this rule in our last games. It is just fun to throw down an enemy into a cellar with an angry troll.

SerialMoM

Last edited by SerialMoM on Sat 26 Feb 2011 - 16:01; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
BargainBinArcher
Champion
Champion
BargainBinArcher

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug 2010 - 18:56

I like it. My group uses the same standard house rules, but none of the Experimental ones you listed. Good ideas, though. It seems they would add much-needed advantages for using expensive black powder weapons (especially the long rifle).

The "throw him down" rule could be interesting as well.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug 2010 - 20:44

Standard house rules:

Double wield: -1 to hit on both attacks
New combat skill: Two weapon fighter: No modifier due to two weapon fighting style

We have gone with the 5+ save for shields in close combat, which I think may be enough to create a balance between weapon/shield vs. two weapon options (Still a little early to tell). I am curious how your rule plays out over time - does the weapon/shield become the default choice?

Armour:
Shields: 5+ armour save in close combat
Light armour: 6+ ward save against rolls on injury table (after game)
Heavy armour : 5+ ward save against rolls on injury table

I am liking the shield change so far in our games. Not only are shields becoming more popular, but so is light armor. By itself, a 6+ from light armor is fairly expensive for 20 g.c. unless your warband is at max numbers and fairly kitted out already, but combined with the improved shields a 4+ save for no movement penalty is not a bad trade for losing one attack and spending 25 g.c.

I am tempted by the "ward save" idea. I have seen it suggested before, and I can't make up my mind. I certainly don't think there is a problem with it in terms of game balance - but it does change the flow of campaigns in general by decreasing fatalities. Out of curiosity, what are you thinking about doing for ithilmar and gromril armor?

Handguns:add accuracy rule

What is the accuracy rule?

Hochland long rifle: add accuracy rule, S5

With handguns and the HLR, we have started using S5 at quarter range.

Quickshot: only for bows, if you shot twice -1 to hit modifier

We still allow it with crossbows, which tend to be less common than bows in our games (our games tend to see a lot of movement, and not that much "forting up", which is where crossbows become much more effective). This rule would make that dang Tilean marksman a little less scary though (he always takes Quick Shot as his first skill).

slings: if you shot twice-1 to hit modofier

No need for a house rule. The last official rules review implemented this change.

Run
with enemies within 8 inch. Possible if leeadership test was
successful. you cannot run witin an control zone of an enemy ( 2 inch
around enemy model).

Interesting. It makes leadership a little more useful, which is never a bad thing. We allow you to run directly away from an enemy model at any time, by the way - which we have been doing so long I tend to forget it is a house rule!

New special attack close combat: "throw him
down": One attack instead of all other attacks. hit as normal, instead
of normal wound roll, use your strength against the strength ( instead
of toughness) of your oponent. If you are able to "wound", oponent will
be thrown down of the building, bridge or whatever is there. Because of
the hit the enemy will not be wounded, but by the fall he may be wounded
of course. We used this rule in our last games. It is just fun to throw
down an enemy into a cellar with an angry troll.

OOoooooOOo that sounds like fun!
Back to top Go down
BargainBinArcher
Champion
Champion
BargainBinArcher

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010 - 17:59

Mweaver, the Accuracy rule is taken from the rules for dueling pistols. Basically it means you have +1 to hit.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010 - 21:30

Ah, that one - thanks.

That is actually a very powerful rule...
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010 - 16:43

yeah it is a powerful rule, but you only shot every second round.

So i think this can be the right rule to equal the power of crossbow and handgun.

maybe the hunter rule for heroes improve the power a liitle bit too much but i think it should work better.

@gromril armour: we would use a 4+ ward save for grormil armour. I am not sure about Ilthimar armour.

Last edited by SerialMoM on Wed 18 Aug 2010 - 22:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010 - 19:25

One version of Warhammer (6th?) had a rule with the Imperial handgunners that they had extra range for the first shot - after that, the fouled barrel decreased the range to the standard for handguns. It would be more bookkeeping, but you could set up some rule where handguns have accuracy for a limited time (d3 shots? Until you roll a 1 to hit?). Of course, you are probably happy with handguns always having accuracy. But to me that is too much of a bump, and inconsistent with the background.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010 - 9:02

Your standard house rules are almost the same to our standard house rules (the only difference is that we nerf only the off-hand attack by making the off-hand attack -1 to hit and +1 to enemy parry). We didn't want to change things greatly so we are currently only buffing armour and nerfing duel-wielding.

I had initially planned to buff handguns and hochland long rifles but chose not to in our current campaign (I am playing the Imperial Gunnery School of Nuln and I didn't want to make the warband overpowered).

In our next campaign I am planning to remove the Quick Shot rule from crossbows similar to your experiemental house rules but I plan on doing that without buffing handguns. I may also still add S5 or Accuracy to the hochland long rifle though (but probably not both).

So far my gaming group seems to like our house rules. I look forward to hearing how your gaming group finds the rules since they are so similar to our house rules. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug 2010 - 21:30

Hmm i am still thinking about canceling quickshot for crossbows, maybe we use it with -1 to hit and look if handguns wil be used with the modified rules.

The academy of nuln warband and our current set of house rules may be a problem. But currently no one uses this warband.

Another thought.

What do you think about a ready action. You move ( bow or pistol only) stay and do a ready action. In the opponent turn you get a shot at -2 (-3 if you moved).

I think thst this rule can work, but it may improve the shooting warbands too much.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010 - 2:41

Doesn't Necromunda (which I never played) have some sort of overwatch rule?
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010 - 5:57

Yes Necromunda does have an overwatch rule (or so I've heard). Some people have mentioned putting it into Mordheim but yes the risk is that does make shooting more powerful.

Are you trying to fix something by introducing your 'ready action' idea? If not then is it really worth making the change and potentially impacting other elements of the game detrimentally? At least you mention a bit hit modifier. The suggestions that I've heard usually say that the shooter cannot move and is at -1 to hit but -1 is not enough. If you do introduce it then definitely -2 as you suggested at a minimum if not -3 and perhaps still limit it to if the shooter has not moved.

Also, how would you play this rule? It would be hard to check every single shooter to make sure that the enemy model did not move through the sights of the shooter. If the enemy model stops in the sights of the shooter then what is the point of an overwatch/ready action rule anyway as the shooter will be able to shoot the enemy in its next turn anyway?
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010 - 22:32

Hmmm i am not sure if there is anything which needs a fix. Maybe it could work as counterpart to the hide rule, bu tnormaly we do not play with hiding so much.

No you are right there is no real fixing here, it is just an idea to improve your range of possible actions.

I will discuss this with my gaming group.
Maybe we will test it just for fun.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010 - 15:00

Ok next update:
Quickshot for crossbows is back( with-1 to hit modifier though)
The running rule worked reallay well in the last games, so i think we will use it as normal house rule.

No overwatch rule integrated.

What we changed is the automatically fall down after being knocked down or stunned near an edge.

if you fail your Ini test we throw a scatter dice to show in which direction the model is falling.

We changed this because we don't think it makes sense, that when there i a small hole near you that you fall in it because of a failed Ini test (zombies are fallling nearly every time)

What do you think about this modification?

Do you use a house rule for this also?
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010 - 19:03

Hmm no comments regarding the knock doen falling rule?

Ok no problem. Next topic

I expand the thread with scenario ideas and other special rules. I am really interested in your ideas and special rules.

Other special rules:
1. Playable scenery: In some multiplayer scenarios we use war machines like bolt throwers and cannons.
this machines are difficult to reach (you need to climb), you need minimum two people to shoot in every round(two people who are able to use range weapons though),.
We use for the bolt thrower a range of 48" S6 and D3wound roll T 6 and 1 wound. On a to hit roll of 1 you made a misfire and every model in contact wit the warmachine is hit by a S4 hit.

This worked really nice in 2 games until now.

more ideas will follow
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 7:10

I don't mind the idea about rolling a scatter dice for the direction that a warrior falls down when they are near an edge. I think that it would work well. I think that we often just play that the warrior falls directly away from the shooter (e.g. the impact of the shot knocks throws them off the ledge) but I don't think that we have ever really enforced this. (We are currently playing a Border Town Burning (BTB) campaign which is more outside so this hasn't been an issue for a while.) I do use a scatter dice for the Whoa Boy! table when the warrior falls of its mount and what you have proposed is a very similar situation.

I cannot really comment on the war machines as I have know experience with WFB and do not know how war machines generally work in the Warhammer world. There are rules for a bolt thrower in the 'Hostile Embargo' scenario in the BTB supplement (I have yet to play this scenario though). There is also a mortar in the 'Warmachine' scenario in the Nemesis Crown supplement which was fun to use. The good thing about war machines is that if you do not like the rules already developed then it doesn't really matter if you make up your own rules as there is not much need to balance the rules as long as they are fun. If you've tried your rules in several games and enjoyed those games then there is little need to change. If you are still unsure though then you can check out the two scenarios above for ideas.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeTue 7 Sep 2010 - 20:14

Hello again,

the scatter dice worked well in teh last games so i think we adapt it.

2 pictures of the use of war machines in Mordheim

rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  SDC14539

rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Kopie_von_SDC14210

We haven´t played the hostile embargo scenario yet so i don´t know if i like it.

In our games it is a nice gimmick.

One more picture of the troll scenario for which we invented the "throw down" rule ( the picture is not really clear, but however)

rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Kopie_von_SDC14214

The aim was in this mulitplayer scenario to conquer the building in the middle with the troll in the cellar.

The player win which had the most models in the building at the end of round 8

buildin to conquer left in the back

rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Kopie_von_SDC14209

the troll could be provoked but would leave his cellar.

However if someone is interested i will go in details.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 9:07

SerialMoM wrote:
Handguns:add accuracy rule

Just thought of the Kislevite warband. The Accuracy rule together with the Gun-Rest rule for Streltsi would give those warriors +2 to hit. Ouch!! pale If you never play with Kislevite warbands then not an issue but just something to think about.

Nice gaming table! Very Happy Also, I'm always keen to hear about new scenarios although you might catch a greater audience if you started a new thread for the scenario rules.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 4:10

RationalLemming wrote:
I don't mind the idea about rolling a scatter dice for the direction that a warrior falls down when they are near an edge. I think that it would work well. I think that we often just play that the warrior falls directly away from the shooter (e.g. the impact of the shot knocks throws them off the ledge) but I don't think that we have ever really enforced this.

Our group plays the same, but I like the idea of scatter, especially in circumstance where falling one direction could land you on a ledge and another direction could land you on the ground. Could save some arguements.

I might have mentioned this before in another houserule type thread, but thought it worth mentioning again as my group really seems to like it.

A little bit of background... some of our players started getting really annoyed that henchmen basically had the same chance to get a critical as heros and most criticals will take most models off the table. SO, we implemented a house rule, we losely call confirming the critical hit.

Basically if a model rolls a critical hit, they must then roll a WS test to confirm that it really was a critical hit (rolled just like an initiative test) If the test is successful then the critical is rolled as normal. If the test fails, the hit is still a hit, just not a critical.

or reasoning was that Heros would be more likely to have better training and higher WS making them more likely to crit vs a henchmen. It works well for us, and makes a skilled hero that much more ...skillful ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010 - 21:10

oh man, i do like this critical hit idea.

We currently use a different critical hit table. I think it is from the mordheimer page. It is not as extreme as the one from the rule book, because you only modify armour not automatically negate them

Hm i did not mention the critical hit table above.

But we really will playtest your approach.

SerialMoM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more    rules - SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SerialMoMs house rules, scenario ideas and more
Page 1 of 1