Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ruined Gasthaus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Trading Reputation : 0

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Ruined Gasthaus   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010 - 21:31

This is going to be one of the larger 'main buildings' on the modular board that I'm going to be making in August. I'm architecturally wavering between Rothenburg on der Taube (in Germany) and some of the building styles in Florence, Italy, crossed with Empire/Warhammer/Mordheim.

The final footprint will be right at 12" by 12" on the ground, and the roof is about 11" high at the highest point.

Initial parts on the first side...

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus1

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus2

Then I added some of the structural elements (beams) to support a floor. In the back, you can see where there will be a secret compartment in the floor, held down with some small magnets, to hold loot or wyrdstone in.

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus3

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus4

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus5

Now I'm mocking up the other half of the Gasthaus and deciding how to make the stairs to link the upper level. I also like to check line of sight for gameplay, and to see how 'fumbly' it is to move models around before I finish things off.

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus7

Ruined Gasthaus ARasthaus6

I'll hopefully finish this off over the weekend or early next week, then work on some of the smaller buildings. Thanks for any recommendations on colors, finish, etc. The seams will be covered over with foliage and more grunginess, and the sign above the main door, along with sheilds, etc, will also be magnetized to make "new management" transitions quite easy.
Back to top Go down
Lydor
Captain
Captain
Lydor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruined Gasthaus   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug 2010 - 4:06

awesome
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruined Gasthaus   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug 2010 - 4:34

That's coming along VERY NICELY. There's a lot of potential in this not-so-little gem. KEEP UP THE FINE WORK! Ruined Gasthaus 544694
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Changed gears... and bigger   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010 - 13:37

I'll post up some pics this afternoon...

The project took on a new life after I came back from vacation. It's less of a hotel and now a ruined "fest haus" - a huge drinking establishment. I often make two different 'halves' of a building so I can either put them near each other in proximity, or spread them out as two different structures.

I'm surprised at how many things I do NOT like about what I did, so I'm largely spoiling to finish it and improve on the next one. I'll take pics in a few hours and post them later today.

Thanks for the kind words.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruined Gasthaus   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010 - 13:56

BEYOND it's versatility on the gaming table, splitting the building is a FINE method to enable easy access to difficult to reach areas for painting...EXCELLENT & CLEVER IDEA! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on The Tavern. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: The Good the Bad and the What-was-I-Thinking...   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010 - 23:10

Front view...

Front view, prob about... 70% done? Exterior textured, general color is close - no wash applied or airbrushing yet. The basic idea is that blast came back from the back, knocked fireplace inward, smashes the floor, takes out part of the upper floors - most really - and then a fire. NO fire damage or smoke has been applied yet.

Ruined Gasthaus 101_0311

Most of the work will be inside. Moving clockwise, now over the... SE? - corner. This side is 'mostly' done - but you'll prob note that this side has black edges on the foamcore. I changed my method for the far side, and I'm not sure which look I prefer, but I know I have to pick one!

Ruined Gasthaus 101_0313

Moving a bit more to the left of the previous, now looking in from the rear. The left side of the chimney is still attached to the structure, the rest I used a hot-wire cutter to separate, then chunk up.

Ruined Gasthaus ChimneyInternal

Then I am laying these sections into the interior over the damage to the structure. They're not finished, nor is the sub-flooring and debris in place yet.

Ruined Gasthaus Overhead

Here is the outline for the chimney, and a few other minor notes on my next steps.

Ruined Gasthaus TopView

All interior walls still need to be painted, detailed, and washed or airbrushed. I'm roughly using the mental picture of Gaston - from Beauty and the Beast - I have a daughter, sue me ;-) - Hunting lodge with trophies, awards, all now askew or shattered, and the Hofbrauhaus in Munich - for an Empire friendly "Boys club" with lots of ale. I also need to build the bar area near the cellar door. That's a snap, though.

Anywho - that's it so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ruined Gasthaus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruined Gasthaus   Ruined Gasthaus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ruined Gasthaus
Page 1 of 1