Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Prevent from chipping?

Go down 
+2
CygnusMaximus
alveiz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Prevent from chipping? Empty
PostSubject: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 22:47

Hello people,
I would like to know what product/s do you guys use to prevent your miniatures from chipping the paint. I want something natural and matte, I haven't tried anything yet since I remember that when i was young I used citadel varnish one and it made my minis shine a lot. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 23:02

I use Vallejo matte varnish from the pot - I brush on a couple of thin coats and it seems to do the trick. If there's an area that is especially prone to chipping, I'll brush a bit of gloss varnish (GW's "'ard coat") and let it dry before using the matte varnish over the top.

I use the brush-on variety so I can be sure that the model doesn't cloud up as they will with some sprays.

I've heard wonderful things about Testor's Dullcote but haven't yet tried it myself.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 0:42

Life's too short to brush on varnish. A decent coat of gloss varnish from a spray can followed by a blast with Testor's Dullcote for me.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 3:03

Testors Dull Cote also for me, I have had the best results, no yellowing over time so far.

I have used others, GW doesn't make a bad matte finish spray. Never been a fan of the brush on stuff, unless I want something to come out glossy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
widgren
General
General
widgren

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 8:53

CygnusMaximus wrote:
I use Vallejo matte varnish from the pot - I brush on a couple of thin coats and it seems to do the trick. If there's an area that is especially prone to chipping, I'll brush a bit of gloss varnish (GW's "'ard coat") and let it dry before using the matte varnish over the top.

I use the brush-on variety so I can be sure that the model doesn't cloud up as they will with some sprays.

I've heard wonderful things about Testor's Dullcote but haven't yet tried it myself.

Good luck!

cygnus maximus preaches the truth! some matte varnishes can ruin metallics so i use gloss on metals and then matte avoer the entire model.
Back to top Go down
http://totte.leblog.se/
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 9:11

Thank you guys for the advice. I think I'll try it. I tend to paint every Metallic NMM so it would perfectly work on me just the Testors Dull cote.
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 13:29

I wouldn't recommend that myself. The gloss varnish is the protection & the Dullcote is simply to matt the gloss down. I don't think Dullcote alone gives enough protection for your miniatures. At least not if you want them to survive the rough & tumble of lots of Mordheim games.
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Apr 2010 - 0:52

I've used testor's to good effect. Just make sure you don't varnish if it's cooler than 55 degrees f outside, or if it's humid, as these conditions can cause the varnish to cloud and ruin your paintjob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prevent from chipping?   Prevent from chipping? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prevent from chipping?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Painting and Modelling-
Jump to: