Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help required with feathers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Help required with feathers Empty
PostSubject: Help required with feathers   Help required with feathers Icon_minitimeSat 3 Apr 2010 - 14:15

I have a Beastmen warband that has two eagle-headed beastmen for heroes. Now, painting the eagle-heads will be easy - I can paint feathers when they are sculpted on. The thing is though, the skin is smooth. What is the best/easiest way to paint something that will give the impression of feathered arms and torso?
Help required with feathers Brothe12

Last edited by Lord 0 on Sat 3 Apr 2010 - 15:36; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Help required with feathers   Help required with feathers Icon_minitimeSat 3 Apr 2010 - 14:32

How about gently drybrushing a slightly darker/lighter shade over it in streaks to give an impression of feather edges all pointing in one direction?
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Help required with feathers   Help required with feathers Icon_minitimeSat 3 Apr 2010 - 14:33

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you have an example? Which way should the lines be going? Horizontally? Vertically?

For reference, I am a *very* amature painter. I know what drybrushing is, and I know what washing is, but beyond that I have very little skill or knowledge. I have heard *of* things like non-metallic metallic and that light-source thingy painting, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Help required with feathers   Help required with feathers Icon_minitimeSat 3 Apr 2010 - 16:24

You could try stippling it with a lighter colour to make it look more like down feathers. Just take an old brush, put a little paint on it (so that there's a bit more than you'd have when drybrushing) and "stab" at the model as if the bristles of the brush were a... stabby thing. This is a fairly easy technique that might get you the results you're after.

I think you should have a go at sculpting some feathers yourself, but that's mostly because I have a similar project that I'm putting off because I don't think I could sculpt a convincing feather to save my life!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help required with feathers   Help required with feathers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help required with feathers
Page 1 of 1