Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

About the Monkey paw

Go down 
+3
Paluke
Von Kurst
alveiz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

About the Monkey paw Empty
PostSubject: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010 - 1:35

Hi,

I have many doubts about the correct use of the paw, if you can help me I will be grateful:
1- Does a person who obtains many sixes in the "light side" list have to roll every three rolls on the "dark side" list?
2- A person has bought this rare object in the campaign and he has obtained 7 heroes. Is he able to use the additional 7 heroes if his warband has already reached the cap of warriors or should he play with 13 heroes and 2 henchmen because his warband cap is 15?.

Thank you very much
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010 - 3:32

Yike! If you are using this ridiculous item then you get to make up your own rules since it doesn't come with many that are clear.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 16:58

alveiz wrote:

2- A person has bought this rare object in the campaign and he has obtained 7 heroes. Is he able to use the additional 7 heroes if his warband has already reached the cap of warriors or should he play with 13 heroes and 2 henchmen because his warband cap is 15?.

don't know much about the paw, but i do know that the maximum number of heroes any warband can have at any time is 6. no more. About the Monkey paw Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Knightei
Knight
Knight
Knightei

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 18:02

yes paluke is right... but it says in its rules (from where i got it) you can go above the maximum... the monkey paw is a strange item... i wouldn't let ANY one in my groups campaign to use it...
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 18:25

Which TC are the rules for the Paw in? I can't locate them. Post them if you can and I will review.
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 18:57

I quess it has something to do with Arabian merchant hired sword, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 18:59

Yes, it does but the monkeys paw is only referenced with the merchant as it says it is in TC17 but I can't seem to locate it in TC17.

I would love to clear this situation up
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 19:05

Da Bank, I found the same pages missing from the TCs available at Tewfik and Svenn's site. I had found the Monkey's Paw listed on an old fansite - I'm at work right now, but once I'm home, I'll look it up and post the information/link here.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 19:15

Have a look at the rules of the paw:

Monkey’s paw
Fashioned during the strange religious rites of the nomadic Tuareg people, this item is of similar potency to the Lamp of the Djinn. As with the fickle powers of the Djinn the, Monkey’s paw is not always beneficial to its owner.
Each time a Hero uses the paw it grants three wishes but you only have to roll once on the dark side. If you roll this item you must take it. Every two games you have it and don’t use it you have to roll on the dark side. You may not get rid of the paw unless you use it three times or roll lose the paw. After the third use it disappears.

D6 Light
1 Gain D6 Experience points
2 Gain one skill from your Skill list
3 Gain D6x10 GC
4 Gain an extra Hero even if it is above your maximum allowed
5 Gain an extra Henchman even if it is above your maximum allowed
6 Roll twice more on this chart

D6 Dark
1 Lose D6 Experience points
2 Lose one random skill
3 Lose D6x10 GC
4 Lose a Hero
5 Lose a Henchman
6 Lose the paw
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 19:47

Thanks for posting as this helps a bunch.

I believe a rewrite is in order. I have my thoughts and I would love to know your thoughts on the matter.

Ideally, it should be a random decision on whether it is Light or Dark. Meaning 1-3 Light 4-6 Dark and then roll accordingly.

It should be should in each game and after three games it disappears.

Number 4 and 5 on Light should be may ad +1 to your maximum allowed, otherwise you could end up with 10 heroes but with that the dark can negatively impact you also.
Back to top Go down
Knightei
Knight
Knight
Knightei

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 20:53

thanks for the rules! Hmmm seems when you "activate" the monkey paw you roll on the three times on the light and once on the dark... but after two games you get it but don't use it you roll one on the dark side... so basicly after every game you want to use it roll 3 times on light and once on dark and you can use it 3 times... thats how i read the rules
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010 - 1:20

Like I say for something with written rules it sure doesn't seem to have any...

I like the random effect Da Bank suggests. I would re-write the results of the as well and eliminate any roll twice result as it just makes the item more broken. When I read the 3 uses rule, I thought that meant that you rolled 3 times period and one of them had to be on the dark side (so 2 light 1 dark and bye-bye item). A careful reading reveals that I was being way too limiting.
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010 - 2:13

Cool, alveiz, you beat me to it!

The "only 3 games" sounds fine to me.

I would only allow one roll on the Light table for each roll on the Dark rather than randomizing which table to roll on. Practically every good result should get a bad.

I also like eliminating "roll twice" results, except: replace Light table 6 with the following: "Roll twice more on this chart. However, if you roll 6 again, lose the Monkey's Paw."

Replace Light table 5 with "+1 maximum warband size".

Replace Light table 4 with "Increase a random characteristic's maximum by 1."

Replace Dark table 6 with the following: "Decrease a random characteristic by 1 (affects maximum characteristic as well)."
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010 - 15:14

Good thoughts. I agree.

1)Roll once per game on the light side and once per game on the dark side.
2) There is no option to get out of this. If you have the paw you must roll.
3) It lasts for only three games and disappears but you may get another one after that game (if possible).
4) Replace Light table 5 with "+1 maximum warband size".
5) Replace Light table 4 with "Increase a random characteristic's maximum by 1.
6) Replace Dark table 6 with the following: "Decrease a random characteristic by 1 (affects maximum characteristic as well)."

Keep talking it up, I believe we are making some progress and by doing this we might actually be able to close the "loop" on the Merchant.
Back to top Go down
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010 - 22:54

Very nice thoughts, thanks for helping Smile. I might be changing it for the next campaign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About the Monkey paw   About the Monkey paw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About the Monkey paw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Rules and Gameplay-
Jump to: