Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

What is Interception?

Go down 
+6
murdeoc
nikko
Mortimer
hero
magokiron
Keylan
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Keylan
Champion
Champion
Keylan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

What is Interception? Empty
PostSubject: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 1:41

Silly question fore sure, but the rulebook just isnt clear about this at all

page 10
Code:
If an unengaged (ie, not in hand-to-hand combat)
enemy model lies within 2" of the charge route, that
model may choose to intercept the charger if he
wishes.

foolowed by desrciption of "interception area" and fear handling. But what happens? what does it mean to intercept? not a single word in the rulebook.

Does the intercepter move to intercept? will the intercept prevent the charger from moving in base to base contact with his target? is intercepting ment to be some kind of coutercharge giving the interceptor first strike? does interception lead to hand to hand combat at all?

Most of this seems natural if u check the meaning of the word "interception" but as there isnt a single clear explanaiton in the rulebook its mosty speculation how to handle intercept. before review by erata the rule was clear (no charge allowed) but as it changed from a stupit prohibition to an action u have to describe what will happen.

Sorry but this kind of rule is just as " attack: Move to enemey and attack him, if successfull take enemy of the board"

Sure u got an idea what should happen, but thats far from beeing a usefull rule.

Can anybody explain to me how his gaming group plays interceptions? and please explain detailed, i would love to get some difftent examples to give suggestions to my arising group.

Last edited by Keylan on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 10:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 1:50

1. The model making the interception is moved to block the path of the charging model.

2. The charging model MUST charge the new model that's in his way (With all it's consequences; for example, need to pass a LD test if the new model causes fear).

3. The charging model STILL has ALL charging bonuses.

At least, that's how we do it.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 7:08

But aren't the consequences for failing a fear test when charging not being able to charge?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 7:28

yup
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 7:55

hero wrote:
But aren't the consequences for failing a fear test when charging not being able to charge?

If I remember correctly failing a leadership test when trying to charge a fear causing enemy is classed as a failed charge, as if you didn't have enough movement to reach them.
Back to top Go down
nikko
Youngblood
Youngblood
nikko

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 8:13

in the french rulesbook it's like you failed movement at all and you cannot move if you fail LD test. You say you charge, a character causing fear enter the path of the charging model (if he can do it) and the cherging model must pass a LD test, if he passes, he charge the model in the path but if he fails he just cannot charges nor moves and i think his turn end 'cause it's like a failed charge (he is counted as a running model so any other action can be made).

I hope i resume what was said and add some usefull infos.
Back to top Go down
http://miniaturesasylum.canalblog.com/
Keylan
Champion
Champion
Keylan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 11:05

Damm, its stated absolutly clear in the rulebook how to handle fear at interception

Code:
If the intercepting warrior
would normally require a Fear test to engage the
charger then he must pass one in order to be allowed
to intercept. Failure means he will not move. If the
intercepting warrior causes fear then move the
models into contact and then take a Fear test for the
original charger (assuming he would normally do so)
as if he was the one being charged

but the rest isnt stated clear.

Quote :
1. The model making the interception is moved to block the path of the charging model.

2.The charging model MUST charge the new model that's in his way (With
all it's consequences; for example, need to pass a LD test if the new
model causes fear).

3. The charging model STILL has ALL charging bonuses.

At least, that's how we do it.

Hope that helps.

Yeah thx magokiron
thats at least one way to play, and after reading this, then again the read rules it semms to fit more the idea of those rule-developers than my first intensions how to handle interception.
Back to top Go down
murdeoc

murdeoc

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009 - 16:41

so...
what happens if an intercept move brings your interceptor in base contact with multiple enemies besides the one that charges?
Back to top Go down
murdeoc

murdeoc

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009 - 16:45

ok,
but what happens if the intercept move brings the interceptor into base contact with multiple enemies?
the rulebook says that a move that brings you into base contact is a charge by defenition, but that would mean you can intercept one charge and thereby creating a charge of your own against other enemies...
what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009 - 19:27

IMO An interception CANNOT be used as a charge.

So I for myself will not do it, nor allow my opponent to do it.

If the "intercepting" model can't move (because on other enemy models) to the intended path of the original charging model, then he cannot intercept, as he will be "intercepted" too!

I think the rules as explained in the core rulebook are clear enough as to interpret it this way, and remember, an intercepting model IS NOT charging, is at the RECEIVING end of a charge, so the charging model is going to strike first, and gain all bonuses the charge can give him.

Hope that clarifies things.

best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009 - 21:05

I have played in different games and they have ruled it 2 different ways.

The First way I have played is that the Interceptor counts as having charged the attacking model, so they would attack first, and get the other charging bonuses.

The Second way is that the Interceptor Model takes the charge from the attacking model, so the attacker is still the charger, but they are charging the Intercepting model, not their original target.

I usually never run into this issue, so I can't say which is better. Although people were a lot more careful with their charges under the first set of rules.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009 - 22:52

From the "official" Mordheim rules review:

Corrections, Errata and other changes to the Rulebook

All page numbers refer to the printed rules. The LRB2 already incorporates all these changes.

Page 26, 2nd column
Replace the third paragraph (“A model may charge… past the enemy!”) with the following:
“If an unengaged (ie, not in hand-to-hand combat) enemy model lies within 2” of the charge route, that model may choose to intercept the charger if he wishes. This ‘interception area’ is shown in the diagram above. Only one enemy model may attempt to intercept each charger. If the intercepting warrior would normally require a Fear test to engage the charger then he must pass one in order to be allowed to intercept. Failure means he will not move. If the intercepting warrior causes fear then move the models into contact and then take a Fear test for the original charger (assuming he would normally do so) as if he was the one being charged. Regardless of the results of this test it is still the original charger who counts as charging in the subsequent round of combat, not the intercepting warrior.

So I guess my interpretation was correct.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Trulsa
General
General
Trulsa

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009 - 0:06

is there anything in the rules that says that you can't intercept from behond as long as you are still within 2" from the charge corridor??

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to intercept from behind if you just have the move to come around the charged model??
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009 - 0:47

Trulsa wrote:
is there anything in the rules that says that you can't intercept from behond as long as you are still within 2" from the charge corridor??

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to intercept from behind if you just have the move to come around the charged model??

This was clarified A LONG AGO, saying that a model can't do that.

Anyhow, please check the diagram on pg.26. I think the diagram is pretty clear, showing HTE INTERCEPTION AREA.

The intercepting model MUST be between the charging model and the intended target. CAN'T be behind any of the two.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
murdeoc

murdeoc

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009 - 17:32

i was kinda hoping someone knows if there are any other ways in which you can get into base contact without having declared a charge?
i know some spells specifically do this, but are there other exceptions that use the "charge by definition" ?

and you say that an interceptor simply cannot intercept if that gets him in base contact with other enemies?
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009 - 18:08

murdeoc wrote:
i was kinda hoping someone knows if there are any other ways in which you can get into base contact without having declared a charge?
i know some spells specifically do this, but are there other exceptions that use the "charge by definition" ?

One example I know is the compulsory 2D6'' move that squigs make. You never declare charges for them but if they get in base-to-base with an enemy then they 'count as charging'. Another example might be the random move from a gobbo with ball & chain.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009 - 20:08

murdeoc wrote:

and you say that an interceptor simply cannot intercept if that gets him in base contact with other enemies?
If using the expanded critical hit tables, then you could be "kebab'd" into base contact with another opponent if struck by a piercing weapon (spear, halberd, trident, not sure if there are any others).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Interception?   What is Interception? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Interception?
Page 1 of 1