Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A newb and his Beastmen

Go down 
+9
JAFisher44
squattingmouse
AFKzombie
Von Kurst
Mortimer
toemasss
Schoel
BurnTehWitch
ChildOfKhorne
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BurnTehWitch
Hero
Hero
BurnTehWitch

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 17:30

Another question for Beastmen vets! Are there any hired swords that the Beastmen can take? In EIF it states they can't take any unless specifically stated... Are there any that state this?
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 17:35

well burn, i'm not sure how far in you are in your campagin with your beastmen, but if it's early on in the camp and this is like your first or second skill roll maybe bellowing roar on your chief so you can hang out longer in those fights that you wanna stick around for. otherwise you can't go wrong with resil or MB, and i dunno what the lay out is for your group but manhater looks like it could be pretty cool too.
o and khorne you should name your chief KILLBURNMAIMERBLOODLETTINGNOOBPAWNINGMANEATINGSKULLCRUSHANATOR...gor. that can fit on your roster sheet right? oh and you can't have no puny spell casting fairy in your khorn herd! beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_evil
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 17:48

Puny spell caster? The shaman is carved from stone and breaths hate into the rest of the herd so they can let more blood in Khornes name!

"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Also I was wondering is fear really worth it? I was looking at the fearsom skill and I really think that would be a huge asset in combat.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 18:10

it can help, some low leadership warbands like skaven will have a hard time getting around it, but i personally never take it simply because you could get it from an injury and sure that would be banking on you getting OOA which is never a good thing, but if you ever do roll hardend(immune to fear) or horrible scars(causes fear) seems like a waste of a skill roll if you took it earlier, but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 18:24

Yaeh thats true, and I do have tons of Heroes. Perhaps on a Bestigor or something that wont get targeted first like the cetigor or my chief which will probably be pretty high on the shoot at me list. I play my frist game tonight hopefully. I am proxying a WoC knight for my Centig or until I get the horse bits to convert one.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 19:25

well best of luck in your game make sure to let us know how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 19:43

I was curious as how deployment worked in a normal skirmish game? Do you deploy your movement on your side of the board? Or... can someone step by step it for me?
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 19:54

sure thing!
1. both players roll of to see who deploys first.
2. the winner may deploy his forces within 8" of any board edge (this is assuming your playing on a 4x4 or similar sized table if your playing on something bigger like a 6X4 i would limit deployment to the long table edges or simply cut off 2 feet of the table to make it 4x4 but thats just me).
3.the opponent may set-up within 8" of the opposite edge.
4. roll off to see who gets first turn.
the deployment has nothing to do with the amount of movement you have you get 8 inches in most scenarios. you may also deploy on top or inside buildings if you wish as long as they are inside the deployment zone. unless there are any special rules that allow one of the players to ignore deployment or deploy further (like the skaven infiltrate rules) all members of the warband must be deployed at this time. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 20:08

Thats perfect! Thanks for the help. yeah we play on 4x4 tables so that should be perfect. I am very excited to charge some humans!
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 20:14

NP, and remember the blood god cares not from where the blood flows; SO LONG AS IT FLOWS! but for your sake try and keep it on their side. beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 22:43

I'm running a beastman warband now. I've had two games and I'll put my starting and current positions down:

Starting (doesn't include free daggers)

Chief - axe, sword
Shaman - Mace
2 x bestigor - Sword, Mace
Centigor - Axe and shield

3 x Gor - 2 maces
1 x Gor - Mace

Now (doesn't include free daggers)

Chief - axe, sword, toughened leathers
Shaman (gained advance of 1 attack) - 2 x Mace, toughened leathers
2 x bestigor (1 has advance of plus 1 WS and picked up 'old battle wound', other has plus 1 attack)- Sword, Mace, toughened leathers
Centigor (gained advance - horned one skill) - Axe and shield, toughened leathers

3 x Gor (gained advance - plus 1 WS) - 2 maces
2 x Gor (gained advance - plus 1 attack) - Mace

I've got 248 gp in the bank courtesy of a campaign specific scenario and am debating between a whole pack of Ungor (already have the models, and as an arrow screen) or a Minotaur. Trouble is I don't have a Minotaur model.....
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
toemasss
Captain
Captain
toemasss

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 1:58

Earlier someone was asking about beastmen hired swords. There are no official hired swords, the only unofficial one I'm aware of is the chaos centaur in the BTB setting.

I recommend against picking up a pack of ungors, I would opt for a minotaur and chaos hounds over them.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 2:43

yeah if you have the gold for a mino i'd get it i'm not sure what your groups standards are on WYSIWYG but if they'll let you proxy a mino till you can get one i'd go that route. i've always liked the doombull mini myself, but a bloodthirster w/o the wings would loook very cool imo. as for ungors, i don't think theyre that bad. ok so they cost 10 more GC and warhounds start off essentially 2 skill rolls (1 better WS and str) better than ungors (on top of the fact that they move faster) but ungors have the possibility of becoming better (they could get A 2 and I 4) on top of that they can dual-wield (seeing as how spears are not too good anymore). i guess some people don't think they're worth it when warhounds are about just as good and they cost less and it all dpends on your playing style, but i personally think that they're not that bad.
oh and another thing, someone earlier was saying something about mounts for beastmen, maybe ya'll could just house rule that beastmen could ride giant wolves?
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 4:33

Played three games, wow they go so fast. Not campaign games just learning ones went down today. The first one was the only one I did a battle report on.

Beastmen vs Orc
Got first turn and moved up with hounds and centigor. everyone else moved up behind them. The Orc goblins did a ton of shooting but with no results, the Orc troll moved up but not close enough to charge. Next turn I charged with hounds and centigor on the troll and charged the bug'un's with my chief and Bestigor a few inches away from the troll. My Centigor and Hounds managed to not wound the troll due to regeneration and then the troll knocked my centigor and a hound OOA in retaliation. I downed the Big'uns and then charged the troll only to be intercepted by the orc boss. The boss failed to wound. The Troll killed another hound and Then I failed my Route test.

Result would have been a dead centigor and two fine hounds. Lucky it was a mock battle.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 4:41

owch, yeah the ld 7 will get ya and those trolls are nasty (well the whole orc list is nasty). good thing it was just a mock battle a dead centigor game one is no bueno. also just wanted to make sure ya'll used the heroes injury table for the centigor (i'm sure ya'll did but just making sure since ya'll are learning). yeah that inury table can be fierce in the worst of times, my leagues had so much trouble with that damn thing that we house ruled a re-roll first dead result on leaders only. how did the other games go?
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 5:18

Yeah, don't send anything to attack a troll if you want it to live. A S5 attack that auto hits and ignores armour is just stupid.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 6:11

I won the second game vs, orcs again with a differant player. Then played a three way with Orcs, My beastmen and Undead. I totally crushed the orc player then had the undead on my back killed two zombies and then threw hounds at the vampire until I have a route test and failed and left. Went well for me.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 6:18

nice gratz on the two wins, so how are you and your friends liking mordheim?
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 6:20

Its fantastic! The games are so fast and are just great. We could get through dozens of games in a night considering how many warbands there are. Not a whole lot of diversity but we had a low turn out today. I think next week we will have just about everyone there and with their warbands.

Hopefully by then I will have my army painted.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 7:55

Random middle of the night update. Finished green stuffing a centigor. He feels a little small to me. Maybe I will remake him using a bigger horse if he falls in battle. [ Hopefully not ] Also based a couple of the hounds and based my beastigors. Pics when I get things to stand p straight.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 8:00

cool i look foward to seeing them!
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 19:21

BEASTMEN GO INTO BATTLE AGAIN TODAY!

We will be victorious. =D
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov 2009 - 11:20

ChildOfKhorne wrote:
BEASTMEN GO INTO BATTLE AGAIN TODAY!

We will be victorious. =D

Good luck! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov 2009 - 20:55

ChildOfKhorne - good luck despite the fact my herd are being painted as decadent slannesh worshipers (I fancy trying a purple and silver scheme)...

I have my minotaur model and he's huge! A Shadowhorn Satyr from Privateers Press's Hordes game. A little over double the height of my Gors.
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009 - 6:59

So tomorrow is the start of the campaign, looks like we have 10 warbands solidly. We are going to be rolling for our magic and as far as Chaos Magic goes I am hoping for the Gift of the Gods or the d3 S5 wound nuke. Whats your opinions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A newb and his Beastmen   beastmen - A newb and his Beastmen - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A newb and his Beastmen
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next