Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?

Go down 
+9
Mordheimer
Cavonius
Trulsa
Jadex
DeafNala
Duce
Ash
toemasss
eternaldream
13 posters
AuthorMessage
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Empty
PostSubject: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 0:31

So I bought a bunch of materials, and started making a test building. I was thinking that for the rest of the buildings, it would be much easier to cut out all the pieces I need in advance, in the correct size. That way, all I'll have to do is glue them together, and I think that would make things go by smoother. Judging from my test building, I think I know what kind of sizes would be ideal, to allow me great ease in making each building unique.

So far, with the materials I have, this is how my building is turning out. I'm using 3"x3" square rooms. Seems to be an ideal size for height to make sure Ogres and Trolls can fit inside. Then, I have a 1" long overhang for the upper floors. So far, that seems to work pretty well.

So how do you pros do it? Do you plan everything out in advance, down on paper perhaps? Or do you just jump in headfirst like I enjoy doing.
Back to top Go down
toemasss
Captain
Captain
toemasss

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 4:16

I find it easiest to make a floor plan and cut out all the pieces in advance. From experience I dislike running in headfirst but thats because if I do that I have a tendency to not finish the job as I've probably already started a new building.
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 6:07

I like to plan out all the details of my buildings before hand. I measure and cut as I go and try to stay as close to the design as possible. I've done buildings out of foamcore where I cut out all the basic walls ahead of time, then assemble and trim as I put it all together. My current buildings require a little more finess to fit together. Since I am using actual lumber with foam core walls and balsa floors. I find no matter how careful I am with the cuts, they are just a bit off here and there. So most cuts have to be measured to fit. That way it fits together nice and tightly.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 11:00

I'm actually the opposite, i dive in head first and cut th efirst main wall, then the next and build form there to fit. For me it gives random buildings which have their own character instead of planned out to look a certain way.

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 11:18

I'm an improv modeller. I'll sketch up things to get a general idea of the "feel", but normally I'll make some feature like a twisted fireplace/chimney & build the rest of the structure around it. As long as standard measurements for floors, doors & windows are maintained, everything fits together nicely.
For Mordheim I go for a haunted/possessed style: twisted, asymetrical, lots of odd angles, ghostly faces in the walls/floors, that sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 11:52

Duce wrote:
I'm actually the opposite, i dive in head first and cut th efirst main wall, then the next and build form there to fit. For me it gives random buildings which have their own character instead of planned out to look a certain way.

Same goes for me, even though I just got into the scenery making. I start out from some large pieces of polystyrene and just start building. As you are working, new ideas will come up that will make your build even cooler, so if I come up with something new, I'll just start measuring things and build that part. That way you can keep surprising yourself till the end! Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_cyclops
Back to top Go down
Trulsa
General
General
Trulsa

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 12:38

I am TOTALLY hopeless Razz I can't draw, I don't know how to, and if I try I can't put my thoughts down on paper. So I just start cutting, piece by piece!! I can start on one wall, then take another one and then I do something that is totally different. In the end it might not be 100% correct but I am satisfied most of the times Razz And I have absolutely no plan for my buildings, I just do, and then in the end my vision doesn't look at all as it did from the beginning...
Back to top Go down
Cavonius
Champion
Champion
Cavonius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 13:33

I'll always sketch before.

Makes it much easier and in the end the building looks best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lokan.org
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 16:10

I'm a noob when it comes to terrain... so I plan ahead. Some day I plan to catch up and build something 100% from scratch. Once I get experience, I may try for the 'happy-go-lucky' building process.... but for now planning helps me prepare for eventualities.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 16:19

DeafNala wrote:
I'm an improv modeller. I'll sketch up things to get a general idea of the "feel", but normally I'll make some feature like a twisted fireplace/chimney & build the rest of the structure around it. As long as standard measurements for floors, doors & windows are maintained, everything fits together nicely.
That's the way I do it too. Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? 387809
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 17:00

I work as a scene designer so I look on hobby stuff as play. I don't want to plan, I just want to do. So I do a sketch or grab a likely looking piece of packing foam and off it goes. It's a break for me and keeps the demands of work separate. (Although lately I've tried just making the concept model for a work project from not to scale sketches...)
Back to top Go down
Powerposey
Captain
Captain
Powerposey

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 17:38

I just jumped in on the last set of ruins I made, and looking back I wish I planned a little better. There are some things that can easily be added in the beginning stages than later. For instance, I think adding card tiles to the ground floor building footprint goes a long way, and I forgot to do that until after I flocked the piece with sand/gravel.
Back to top Go down
http://powerposey.blogspot.com/
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009 - 19:16

What I started to notice recently when making buildings is that I dont have a problem with the looks and feels of the external walls its the internal walls that are somewhat of a pain.
I typically do a quick sketch, nothing artsy just something to remind me what feature I wanted to try and model. Once I have the walls up, I then will sketch the details on the outside of the building (Timber, window, doors, etc) before I make any window cuts. This gives me a rough idea of where everything will be.

THEN I do the internal walls and I constantly find myself wishing I had planned out a little better. So to correct this I have started to draw the internal walls taking into account the thickness of the walls as they relate to the overall building and room size. This will then determine the external wall size.

I wouldn't recommend cutting out a bunch of pieces all at once unless you are 100% sure you like the way your first prototype building looks.

I normally have a few templates for windows, doors, walls etc that I use to mark in all the details
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?   Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you plan out your buildings, or just jump right in?
Page 1 of 1