Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help doing red highlights

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
No Time
Veteran
Veteran
No Time

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Help doing red highlights Empty
PostSubject: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeWed 21 Oct 2009 - 20:50

I am a bit tired of mixing yellow with red when highlighting red clothing.

Help doing red highlights 5320_1186222769142_1035453781_30576

Can someone please tell me how they highlight red without that orange/yellow tone?

Thanks pig
Back to top Go down
Trulsa
General
General
Trulsa

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeWed 21 Oct 2009 - 21:24

You can always use PINK

Haha, I agree with you, it is really really hard. I have two different ways I to do it, either the standard way with yellow and red and now and then a little white in it. The second way is that I have bought 6 different tones of red paint so that I can use a lighter red on a darker Razz Not so good for your economy but it gives a better result...
Back to top Go down
Kadzik
Knight
Knight
Kadzik

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeWed 21 Oct 2009 - 23:55

As above; highlight dark red with light red. I use Red Gore and Blood Red and they complementary each other quite nice. You can always use something like bleached bone on the thinest lines; I've see this on Blood Angels SM and it gives nice final touch on the most vital points like armour edges.
Back to top Go down
No Time
Veteran
Veteran
No Time

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeThu 22 Oct 2009 - 8:45

@Trulsa:
Quote :
You can always use PINK

Hehehehehe I can remember that I did it the first time I tried to highlight a mini. Just added white to red, somehow it did not work Razz

But now I got it, need to invest in an darker shade of red.

Dziękuję Kadzik & tack så mycke Tralsa cheers
Back to top Go down
ebon_tower
Hero
Hero
ebon_tower

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009 - 7:34

I've found the GW washes invaluable in my painting - the trick to effective highlighting is effective shading. If you can drag your shadows down deeper, it makes your highlights pop higher.

For red, I'll use one of three washes : Devlyn Mud if I want a dirty looking red, Baal Red if I want a rich looking red, or Leviathan Purple if I want a regal looking red. One way or another, the combo is usually to paint the base shade of red, wash it with one of the above washes, and then hit it with glazes of my base red again. If I need higher highlights than that, I've got a red-orange that I'll water down quite a bit and glaze that on until I've highlighted it to where I need it.
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009 - 19:33

hi

I either highlight with the standard red/orange scheme, sometimes adding yellow as well
or I work on a black basecoat and start with scab red+black and highlighting with scab red / scab + blood red / blood red
as ebon tower I also use washes and glazes for blending the different stages
if you don't have washes, you can use paint that's really thinned down (better 3 layers of a thin glaze than applying one glaze/wash that's too thick or dark)
(I like to add some floor polish for better flowing)

I think there's some red in my two witchhunter threads ("some witchunters" and "witchhunters ? not quite")

A lot depends on whether you want a bright or a dark red

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
No Time
Veteran
Veteran
No Time

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009 - 22:10

Thanks to all of you,

will try the red wash and blood.
Thank you again Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help doing red highlights   Help doing red highlights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help doing red highlights
Page 1 of 1