Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Warrior priest prayer questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
meerkat
Veteran
Veteran
meerkat

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Warrior priest prayer questions Empty
PostSubject: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeThu 1 Oct 2009 - 11:36

I have a couple of questions about the prayers used by warrior priests:

1 - does 'soulfire' strike at strength five against all models in a possessed warband, or just the possessed themselves?

2 - does 'hammer of sigmar' generate an actual hammer that must be used as a weapon to gain the effects, or does it simply apply the strength bonus and doubled wounds to the priest's attacks with any weapons he is using? So would a priest with one attack on his profile and two maces who casts this spell have two boosted attacks, or only one?

3 - the 'hammer of sigmar' says to test each (friendly) shooting phase to keep it going. I can't use another prayer as well, can I?

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the probabably obvious questions!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeThu 1 Oct 2009 - 20:44

1--Soulfire: I think this has been FAQed, but I can never find the reference. In absence of an FAQ we play only the possessed and only true undead, not dregs, necromancers and ghouls. Not mutants, magister, etc.

2--There is a vague reference to this in one of the old FAQs that implies that one weapon becomes the hammer and any others remain mundane but the WP may still use both weapons. The bonus only applies to the hammer. TC#12

3--Yes you may but you may not have 2 Hammers in play at one time. Mordheim magic is a lot looser than Warhammer.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 0:13

#1 I'd say all, there all blackhearted sinners right? So the damage would be worse...
Back to top Go down
meerkat
Veteran
Veteran
meerkat

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 14:23

Thanks for the answers!

So the hammer spell does create a magic hammer, which is what I first thought

The rulebook says I can only cast one spell per turn... but I can test to retain the hammer and still cast another spell? Even though the test is like re-casting?

I'll have to get a group decision on soulfire then, if I actually acquire the spell.
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 17:53

meerkat wrote:
I'll have to get a group decision on soulfire then, if I actually acquire the spell.

I, too, thought there was a FAQ on this though I cannot find it. Given this, I'd go with the FAQ on who in the possessed warband is effected by blessed weapons and water i.e. the magister, possessed, dark souls and mutants. If you go with this approach, that lot would take strength 5 hits and everyone else would take puny strength 3 ones.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 18:05

I've read recently, in one of the early town cryer's, an article about using warrior priests' effectively.

"Priests that are blessed with the Hammer of Sigmar often carry to weapons as well as a crossbow pistol (which grants a free attack during the first round of combat). This allows the greatest number of attacks to benefit from Sigmar's blessing."

The above plus the rules for the spell makes me think it just applies to any hits in closecombat (even pistols fired in HtH Razz ).
Back to top Go down
meerkat
Veteran
Veteran
meerkat

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 18:20

hero wrote:
I've read recently, in one of the early town cryer's, an article about using warrior priests' effectively.

I've read that too, but considering it also recommends equipping flagellants with two maces (which can't be done unless they become heroes and take a skill) and says warhounds don't count towards the warband maximum, I'm disinclined to believe it.

[b]Citizen Sade[/b] wrote:
I'd go with the FAQ on who in the possessed warband is effected by blessed weapons and water

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 1:18

I feel like the rules for the spell clearly says the priest gets +2 strength in close combat, which would apply to additional attacks from off hand weapons. I do agree with you about TC and I wouldn't give pistols or crossbow pistols +2 strength as the wielder's strength is never added to those weapons.

[EDIT] I just read the TC 12 FAQ about spells that create magic weapons, and I don't really know what to think anymore. The only other spell I found that comes close is the Sword of Rezhebel and it is much more obvious there (based on fluff and rules) that a sword is actually summoned. Your take on the Hammer of Sigmar is entirely reasonable. Maybe it's a metaphor though, and the priest becomes The Hammer of Sigmar in that he is empowered and acts out Sigmar's will... Whatever way you want to play it I guess; that seems to be the Mordheim motto.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 2:21

@hero--I'm with you on the confusion that the TC#12 FAQ causes, it truly would have been better if they left the prayers out of the statement since the Hammer of Sigmar is the only prayer that refers to a weapon in any way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrior priest prayer questions   Warrior priest prayer questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrior priest prayer questions
Page 1 of 1