Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Interesting...

Go down 
+4
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Ezekiel
Paluke
cianty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep 2009 - 20:34

Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep 2009 - 20:48

wow! thats awesome! But you do need to be quite the painter to get full effect out of them so it seems!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep 2009 - 20:56

I just had a look at the PDF... I do wonder if it's much better than simply mixing up some washes yourself...
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep 2009 - 21:02

yeah, I doubt it... I think these effects are just as easily aquired with paints, and those wouldn't need a fixing layer of varnish!

In the past I've used such things on model railroads, which was usefull, but that was before I found out about any paints beside the oldskool oilbased revell paints... Smile

I'll stick with my paints and skip this fashion fag.. - if it ever manages to become one Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: Golden Tom Golden Tom

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009 - 2:41

I have been using MIG pigments/weathering powders for a while now, mainly on 40k tanks/WWW2 models
But i also have use them on my newer mordheim bases/models(mainly around the edges of clothing) to give it a more dirty/dusty look, i could probably do these with paint but im lazy at times, plus its more simple to do Razz

But yeah i wouldn't know what these FW ones are like, from the PDF they seem to do the same thing.

-Foot
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009 - 18:06

I use the MIG powders a whole lot for flames of war and I think they're excellent and very useful. It would be very difficult to recreate what you can do with MIG powders with paint, but to each his own I suppose.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009 - 12:07

Very similar to Dr O'Brien's Weathering Powders. Model Railroaders have been using these for quite a few years now. OF COURSE, Forge World's cost roughly twice as much for half the amount. Interesting... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Xenomorph237
Youngblood
Youngblood
Xenomorph237

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009 - 7:19

Me, on my figures i don't mind doing washes. For a weathered look, a painter wants the color to get in between the edges. these new bottles might only do the top layers and not in the inner detail, only washes do that.
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009 - 19:11

Actually, you're quite wrong. The powders stick best in crevices or areas with a lot of surface detail so they will go in between edges very well. However, their purpose isn't really for shading so that's not typically how they're used anyways. Washes generally serve a separate purpose in weathering. They can tone colors down to make them look faded and such. A powder is generally just there to represent something that has come in to contact with a surface (dust, soot, rust etc) rather than an aging of the surface itself.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009 - 23:41

I'm confused, is Forge World associated with Games Workshop somehow?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitimeFri 18 Sep 2009 - 10:18

hero wrote:
I'm confused, is Forge World associated with Games Workshop somehow?

Yes, of course! They are a subdivision of GW, kind of like Black Library or Warhammer Historical (though the latter is now part of Forge World). It's easily visible from the Forge World site, isn't it?
http://forgeworld.co.uk/

Says Warhammer and GW all over the place and just check the "credits" at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Interesting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting...   Interesting... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting...
Page 1 of 1