Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Spell Balance Question/Idea

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hero
Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : 0

Spell Balance Question/Idea Empty
PostSubject: Spell Balance Question/Idea   Spell Balance Question/Idea Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009 - 0:20

So what's the word on spells that block off an area or create walls or somesuch?

I've been working on a Wood Elf warband for a while (who hasn't?) and I was wondering if there's any precedent for a magic spell that blocks movement. This seems like a really interesting ability and would work very well for a warband what likes to shoot people.

I'm thinking either a spell that acts as a wall, either completely blocking a route off or requiring a strength test or something to pass.

How fair is it to completely block passage, as a summoned wall of trees might?

How about a tangled mass of brambles that requires a strength test to pass through? Or perhaps an initiative test?

Or a wall of haunted trees that attack models attempting to pass through and halts movement of any model they manage to hit/wound?
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Spell Balance Question/Idea   Spell Balance Question/Idea Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009 - 3:31

The closest that comes to mind for me is Tanglefoot, from the Prayers of Taal list in the Ostlander warband. That one halves movement within 12" of the caster for one round.

The Prayers of Taal list wouldn't be a bad inspiration / balance check for some Wood Elf spells.

There are also some single-target movement-affecting spells:
- Amazon Rituals: Singing Wind
- Charms & Hexes: Dust of the Blind
- Shadow Warrior Magic: Shadowbind

Completely blocking movement for more than one turn sounds pretty rough to me - Tanglefoot can be pretty rough as it is. Perhaps in a forested setting, I could see a Wall of Vines for one round - make it a 3" wide wall up to 16" away, with a Strength test required to move through normally. However, the wall would be a complete obstruction, blocking LOS and (of course) shooting.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Spell Balance Question/Idea   Spell Balance Question/Idea Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009 - 17:01

That's about what I had in mind! Lasts until your next turn, of course.

I'll check out those spells you mentioned, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spell Balance Question/Idea   Spell Balance Question/Idea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spell Balance Question/Idea
Page 1 of 1