Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

What is this "Ranking" System?

Go down 
+5
Erkwin
cianty
Admin Tom
Rich
Ashton
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellfoot
Warlord
Warlord
Hellfoot

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 23:36

Do you think it's wise to upload a list of required posts for all ranks?
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 23:42

It will be usefull Hellfoot Smile But still it isn't a competion of who has the most posts I think Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 23:48

I know this website has been around forever, and they have paid programmers working on it, but I must say, the community on "Board Game Geek" has a lot of cool features that would be awesome to add to the "Boring Mordheim Forum"

(Like you can give a thumbs-up to posts, and it keeps track of all the thumbs-up you get!

And then you could get better ranks for more thumbs (well-written posts), etc.)

It would take one heck of a lot of programming to figure that one out, but I thought I'd trough it out.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2007 - 23:49

I know that site it has some good pictures on it of anny kind of game Smile

And yes the comunity has some good features but we need to be honnest, the forum is nice as it is Smile
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2007 - 0:05

Tagnator wrote:
we need to be honnest, the forum is nice as it is Smile

Totally, I didn't mean that in a negative way at all. I'm very glad to be part of this forum, as it's the best mordheim community! Great people, great ideas and great models and ideas. Definitely a lot of fun. I'm very happy with this forum, I just throw that thought out there because I thought it =) and we were talking about getting ranks for quality of content =]
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2007 - 0:06

Admin Tom wrote:
You still got the "dreads" Cianty? You'd get TWO gold stars for that! Wink

Yes, I do have them. They start to grow out but I don't care. Someday they'll go...

Can I get my two stars now? Razz

About additional features: You didn't program this forum yourself, did you, Tom (which would be an unbelievable effort for one person's free time)? I expected this to be a "normal" forum with highly adjusted layout settings. If this is the case, I guess it won't be possible to add any new features to the forum. Maybe you can modify some open source forum code but I don't know what is available on SourceForge or so.
But who needs any more features? Seriously, you greedy bastards, aren't you ever satisfied?! cyclops (<-- I just wanted to use this crazy smiley. he's super cool)
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2007 - 0:08

@ Ashton:Sure we know that! Very Happy But still it are some nice ideas maybe should give it a try..

@ Cianty: I think the forum is Ok as it is Smile But why shouldnt we be open for sugestions cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2007 - 4:40

*Admin Tom strolls over to his cupboard, reaches into a dusty corner of a dusty shelf and pulls out an old jewel encrusted box, from which he takes two little golden stars that he hands to Cianty*

It is as Cianty shrewdly remarked. I used a forum "template" which I tuned to look as I wanted it to. I will therefore unfortunately not be able to add any extravangant new features. Firstly because it suprasses my programming skills by lightyears and secondly because I think the source code is not even open. If I could just "model" a new feature onto the forum with green stuff as you would on a miniature, believe me, I would be kneading my putty right now...

But I am happy to read any new ideas, and you did well in bringing it up Ashton. Of course it would be nice to have a system that rewards interesting posts!

But there are two reasons why I think the "thumbs up" system (as clever as it is) is not an absolute necessity:

1) We are a small community. I know that may change, but for now that's the way it is. In a small community you "know" the other members and their opinions, taste, etc... Not like on huge forums where it is pointless to even dream about reading all the posts in a section. On a small forum you are not "anonymous". Therefore you have to think about what you post, lest you lose your credibility in front of your peers.
This results in intelligent posts (for the most part) and I congratulate you guys for that! Smile

2) I like to keep it simple. One thing that I usually notice when I join new forums/sites, is that way too often I feel lost because there are so many buttons and features available, and I just don't want to experiment around every time before I find the "new topic" function. Thus, I tried to keep Tom's Boring Mordheim Blog as simple as I could, with clear titles and banners, so that people would be able to orient themselves and "understand" the site intuitively, and I think it did not turn out that bad.
The same goes for this forum: I want it to be simple (which is sometimes a little utopic!), so I would like to have only the very basic features, with maybe a few "cool" ones on the side, like nice rank icons.

But of course I welcome improvement in general, so if anyone feels up to the task of adding a "thumbs up" system to the forum, you know where I live! (I live in an electronic PM-Inbox on https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com )

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2007 - 9:55

Admin Tom wrote:
Thus, I tried to keep Tom's Boring Mordheim Blog as simple as I could, with clear titles and banners, so that people would be able to orient themselves and "understand" the site intuitively, and I think it did not turn out that bad.

ca veut dire qu'on est tous trop cons pour les site trop compliqués?

mdr ^^

Anyway, nice conception of a forum, Tom, your opinions and mine are the same!
Nice work mate!
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Dec 2007 - 22:24

Admin Tom wrote:
But I am happy to read any new ideas, and you did well in bringing it up Ashton. Of course it would be nice to have a system that rewards interesting posts!

But there are two reasons why I think the "thumbs up" system (as clever as it is) is not an absolute necessity:

1) We are a small community...

2) I like to keep it simple...

Well said. I'm convinced Very Happy

(And did you ever say who created those ranking images? They are sweet.)
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Dec 2007 - 13:04

I made the images myself my dear Ash (Photoshop, remember?) Wink

Other than that, good news: I think I might have found a way of letting you choose a "race" to be displayed in the profile. Meaning that you should be able to select your main warband from a drop down list in your profile. The selected info should then be displayed under your name in the forum Smile

I already created the drop down, but the forum did not seem to accept the feature... I'll keep working on it.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Dec 2007 - 20:19

Admin Tom wrote:
I made the images myself my dear Ash (Photoshop, remember?) Wink

Other than that, good news: I think I might have found a way of letting you choose a "race" to be displayed in the profile.

SWEET!

SWEET!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Dec 2007 - 21:41

Admin Tom wrote:
Other than that, good news: I think I might have found a way of letting you choose a "race" to be displayed in the profile. Meaning that you should be able to select your main warband from a drop down list in your profile. The selected info should then be displayed under your name in the forum Smile

I already created the drop down, but the forum did not seem to accept the feature... I'll keep working on it.

Awwwwwwesome!!
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 10:00

cianty wrote:
Admin Tom wrote:

Awwwwwwesome!!

qft Very Happy

Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: What is on the Admin Sheild?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 17:26

Okay next question: Twisted Evil

What is the symbol on the Admin Rank? Is it a foot? a head? I can not figure it out for the life of me =D
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 17:38

(Moved the forum to the general discussion section.)

The admin rank symbol is a computer Smile
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 18:04

really?

Man I'm confused. Why is it slanted? is it a laptop or a desktop?

Very Happy I hope you enjoy 20 questions *enter evil laugh here*
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 18:06

I thought it was a boot kicking something(someone Twisted Evil ?).
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 18:22

Omg! lol! I didnt realise my symbol was so ambiguous! I'll have to change it. It actually represents a very old fashioned PC desktop. You know, back from times when the "case" was horizontal rather than a "tower" and the monitor was placed upon it...And in front of the PC you have a slightly tilted keyboard.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 18:23

This is a computer:

What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Tom-admin

=)
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 18:24

Admin Tom wrote:
Omg! lol! I didnt realise my symbol was so ambiguous! I'll have to change it. It actually represents a very old fashioned PC desktop. You know, back from times when the "case" was horizontal rather than a "tower" and the monitor was placed upon it...And in front of the PC you have a slightly tilted keyboard.

OH I GET IT!!! No I see it.

The problem is that it's an angled shot... and since there is no lines for delineation, it's hard to see.

Updated: with lines:
What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Tom-admin2

I'm glad i have solved that mystery =)
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 19:22

Now I see it too! lol!

Good word Ashton!
Back to top Go down
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 22:52

yeah I think the computer from Ashton looks better than Tom's (sauf ton respect mon cher ami...)
^^
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2007 - 23:18

Woah, Ashton thanks! I was gonna do the exact same thing but you just saved me an hour's work! Thanks a lot mate! Wink
Updating now... aaaand done!
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Dec 2007 - 7:57

Admin Tom wrote:
Woah, Ashton thanks! I was gonna do the exact same thing but you just saved me an hour's work! Thanks a lot mate! Wink
Updating now... aaaand done
!

Hahaha Sweet! I'm glad to help. Truthfully, I really did a quickie on that one, so if I have time I'll shoot you another one =)

Talk later
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this "Ranking" System?   What is this "Ranking" System? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is this "Ranking" System?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next