Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Monsterpocalypse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

Monsterpocalypse Empty
PostSubject: Monsterpocalypse   Monsterpocalypse Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008 - 23:15

Anyone playing this game? It's a fun little diversion between Mordheim and other games. It plays like a cross between Magic the Gathering and what i imagine Warmachine to be like (never actually played Privateer Press' flagship game). Only take 30-45 minutes so it's great for a pick up game while waiting around for other games.

Unfortunately it is collectible which means it is a money sink, but oh well... at least i have 4 others to trade with.

I assumed it would be boring after a few games (ok so i've only played a few...)

In my mind i saw both players marching their monsters to the center and having a dice-off to see who wins. I don't like games that might as well come down to a flip of a coin, i'd play rock paper scissors instead!

But actually, the game is more about positioning and resource management, and despite the relatively small maps it is quite dynamic since most power attacks send enemy monsters flying across the city and smashing into buildings!

While your monsters jockey for position to line up that body slam into a burning building, your units secure objective squares and spawn points closer to the action. Both are vital since securing buildings and objectives give power to your monsters. Units are recycled which is why spawn points are important.

one thing i dislike is the fold up paper maps, but i have a plan to make things more interesting... modular terrain, done the proper way with sand, flock and paint!

So all in all, as long as they can avoid the power creep with new figures, i will enjoy this game for a while and i recommend it. It is actually pretty good to play as a boardgame with people who might not game normally, just ignore all the skills and triggers at first while they get accustomed to it.

The best thing? In what other game can a giant robot body slam Cthulhu into a nuclear power plant? There else can Godzilla swat a helicopter at a martian mothership and then change into hyper form and blast it with radiation breath?
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Monsterpocalypse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monsterpocalypse   Monsterpocalypse Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov 2008 - 7:04

Uhm, is there any website to it?

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down

Monsterpocalypse
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: Shout it out! (free-for-all) :: Sci-Fi Wargames-
Jump to: