Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!

Go down 
+11
Paluke
Eliazar
jackanory
chié
Ash
Elmoth
Burlok Blackaxe
SirLeon
DeafNala
Admin Tom
Drugart
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Empty
PostSubject: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeTue 11 Nov 2008 - 23:24

Okie dokie. Here we go with my Dwarf warband. Led by the stalwart Drugart StoneFist.
Hope you all enjoy them as I enjoyed painting them.

First off, my Noble Drugart
The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0071

Next is my Slayer and Beardling with a nice big hammer to bash someones knees in, to bring them down to our size!
The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0106

Last edited by Drugart on Mon 22 Dec 2008 - 4:53; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeTue 11 Nov 2008 - 23:27

Next in line my Engineer with two pistols and my Beardling with a two handed weapon.
The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0103

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0102
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 1:03

Hey Drugart!

Thanks for posting your models and on top of it in good quality pics!

I think you chose a good, bright colour theme that suits dwarfs well. I also noticed that you did a good neat paintjob, which is the best basis for good shading. So well done on that! thumbsup

Now my suggestions for improvement:

1) As a dwarf player, this is the central dogma: BEARDS NEED DRYBRUSHING. You will be painting a lot more of them i suppose and they cover 80% of every dwarf model, so this is your chance to create eye-catching contrast. Get a medium sized (4mm diameter) brush, and do very light drybrushings, with different shades of brown (you can even go up to almost pure bleached bone on certain occasions). This will make the beards look like they have a volume and they will seem more realistic.
e.g. The easiest mix to start with is:
- Paint the beard in Scorched brown (or equivalent, for instance "Marron Cuero" by Vallejo)
- Brush the beard with 10% Scorched Brown + 90% Snakebite leather. This can be a heavy drybrushing.
- Brush with pure Snakebite.
- Brush with 90% Snakebite + 10% Bleached bone. EXTREMELY LIGHT drybrushing!!!

Make sure your brush is 100% dry when you brush. You don't need to wash your brush between layers. On the contrary, if you work at a reasonable speed (don't let the paint dry too much) it even helps blending the layers together a little.

2) Shade the clothes! I am sure you are familiar with the "layering " technique (as i can see you have used on the torch). It really does pay off to use at least 3 (i do at LEAST four) layers on the clothes. It just looks soooo much better, and makes the difference between the "professional" and the "layman" (I think you know what I mean).

Hope to have helped a little! Smile

Thanks again for your cool minis!
Take care,
AT

Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 1:26

Thanks for the reply and the tips! I am used to painting Orcs and there rough and gruff dirty look. So this is a first for me, so Ill keep plugging away and do better the next go around. I will try the different Shades for the clothes and the beards.

I am starting my Handgunners tomorrow and we shall see what I can come up with.

Drugart
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008 - 8:02

Howdy Pilgrim,
Where abouts in Texas are you? I've got an old friend in the Austin area, & another in El Paso.

The Dwarves are LOOKIN' GOOD! As you paint you'll find each batch of minis gets progressively better than the one before. Since you're starting at an above average level, the improvements will be quite dramatic. We, fellow Forumites, will be more than pleased to give you some tips on anything your having difficulty with. Right now your Dwarven Warrrior look darned good; I'd be proud to face them in a game. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 2:58

Well im working really hard at this moment on my hand gunner. Taking some of the great ideas and tips already given to me. I will post a pic as soon as he is done and see what you all think. Hopefully i can do my fellow Brethern some justice!

Drugart
Back to top Go down
SirLeon
Champion
Champion
SirLeon

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 12:04

Try the new washs from GW. A little bit of "ogryn flesh" to the skin and "badab black" to the Weapons an clothes would be very usefull.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dienachtderlebendentoten.de.vu
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 13:07

Aye Lad, I did just that last night on a new one I did. I also tried more layering as well. I am really proud how he turned out. I will get the new Lad posted tonight after work. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate all I can get!

Drugart
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 14:13

Today I am going to work on my Dwarf 'Warlock'. Now I know most Dwarfs do NOT like magic of any sorts, but there are the few exceptions to where Dwarfs and 'blessed' if you will with the ability to twist the Chaos powers to thier favor. I think I can come up with some great fluff for this, and I am going to use the model of the engineer holding the cannon ball. Alittle GS and make it into a blue lightning flaming canon ball to hurl down any who stand in his path of the Wyrdstone or whatever his goal is at a given time. He will fight for Drugart StoneFist, but of course he has his own desires in mind.

Tell me what you think!

Drugart
Back to top Go down
Burlok Blackaxe
Veteran
Veteran
Burlok Blackaxe

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 15:29

probably found an alchemists notebook and decided to try some of the experiments in there for himself and ended up with powers somehow, it's wyrdstone, it can do anything. I like you're idea for the use of the cannon ball engineer for your warlock conversion.
Back to top Go down
Elmoth
Champion
Champion
Elmoth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 15:35

LOVE THE FIERY BEARD!!! Viking Cool band. A little bit plain in some areas, as said by others, but with a clear base for an easy improvement. Good enopugh to play as they are no0w in any case. Keep them up! pirat

Xavi
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2008 - 23:37

Well here is my first Thunderer. I took some of the great advice that was given me and applied them. Now I know I still have alot of areas to approve in, but I think its in the right direction. Without further adue....

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0108
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 2:55

Well i just got finished GSing my Dwarf Warlock. Took some time to get him to look right, but I think Its there. I took a photo of it so you all can see a before shot and by tomorrow the GS will be dry and hard and I can start painting my Lock.

I like the idea Burlock and i am going to expound alittle more on the fluff for Cobble. I like that name for this Dwarf. Cobble the 'Curious', is what he is known as now!

I will get the before pic up soon.

Drugart
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 3:33

Ok heres a pic of my Dwarf Warlock WIP. Tell me what you think!

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0115
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 4:26

Dwarf Warlock eh? Looks like the taint of the wyrdstone has infected your warband quite seriously...
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 5:25

Noone is safe from its power! Yet he still harnesses it for 'good'. I guess we shall see if he can overcome its evil pull, or will Drugart have to extinguish his flame. Only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
chié
Warrior
Warrior
chié

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 8:21

Quote :
Noone is safe from its power! Yet he still harnesses it for 'good'.
tell that to a Witch Hunter lol! afro
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 11:51

Dun worry dere Lad, me axe will do the talkin'
Or a quickly casted blue fireball.

Drugart
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 11:58

Did the hair loss occur simultaneously with the cannon ball flame up? Suspect

COOL LOOKING MINI! This little sucker should paint up a treat; so get cracking.
Back to top Go down
jackanory
Warlord
Warlord
jackanory

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 12:14

very cool conoversion idea! It looks like he's manipulating the winds of chaos and is gonna mould them into a ball of fire that he'll plough into the enemy while screaming "HADOUKEN!"
If you wait for that bit of green stuff to harden it'll benefit from another layer over the top that you can then manipulate more easily and tease into shape; sort of drag a knife or a pin from the bottom to the top in ever so slightly wavy lines that curl round the flames and you'll have some sick looking fire! (you could even put a couple of twisted faces in it to make it look even more like something a dwarf should not be dabbling in!!! Smile)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008 - 13:14

AND YET ANOTHER METHOD: I use Plumber's Epoxy Paste [A+B brand name]. Just set a bit of wire or some such armature, coat with the paste, & tease it out, Five minutes later you have a fairly dramatic flame. Suspect

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Tombstone1
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov 2008 - 2:43

Great ideas on making the fire even more vivid yall. I will take all and see what I can do. As for the hair loss, wellllll.... bald is beautiful, and I should know, not only am I a customer, im also the CEO Wink

But Hes should be a blast to paint and I cant wait to get to work on him.

Drugart
Back to top Go down
jackanory
Warlord
Warlord
jackanory

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov 2008 - 9:22

Yeah man fire's fun to paint no matter what colour you choose for it, that big patch of skin on the top of his head should be a good place to practice your layering as well...any chance of a bit of point source lighting effects from the flames?
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov 2008 - 12:09

jackanory wrote:
Yeah man fire's fun to paint no matter what colour you choose for it, that big patch of skin on the top of his head should be a good place to practice your layering as well...any chance of a bit of point source lighting effects from the flames?

Good question. Not sure Im that good of a painter to do something like that yet, but they only way you learn is by doing something. I will give it a shot and if i think it looks somewhat half BAD, i will post a pic and get you alls opinions of it.

Drugart
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitimeSun 16 Nov 2008 - 20:17

Well I completed my Dwarf Warlock! I took alot of extra time on him and took the advice was given to me and i think it turned out Great! Could still be better, but i enjoyed doing it and seeing the product finished.
Also I completed another Warrior with a Great Axe and a barrel or Burgmans finest Ale around! By far this warrior is the best I have done so far. Thanks to the great hints and tips I recieved here. I will get a pic up of him soon. Until then, my Lock, Cobble the Curious!

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! DSCN0116
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!   The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dwarfs are no longer hiding underground!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next