Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Battlescribe Army builder program

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Battlescribe Army builder program Empty
PostSubject: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr 2020 - 0:32

Anyone here use the Mordheim Warband builder in the "Battlescribe" program?
Any glaring errors or omissions?

If the Battlescribe Mordheim files are OK it will be a simple PC - laptop - tablet - phone switch as required. Work it out on the PC and copy it to whichever device I am taking gaming (or even print it out on real paper!)
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr 2020 - 10:45

I had a look at it once during the time I played Kill Team alot. For Kill Team battlescribe was really nice, but I remember vaguely that some things didn't really work well with Mordheim... Maybe it had some updates in the meantime so it might work now! I guess the classic way of just writing it down on paper works best (for me atleast)... But if you try it out, please share your experiences Smile
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr 2020 - 21:00

Seems that Battlescribe is Warhammer 40k plus a few other games nobody plays judging by the available/maintained data files.

I have downloaded the free version and the Mordheim files so will spend some time going through the data, at least as applies to the gangs I currently still have figures for.
Not sure if it is based on the original 1999/2002 official incarnation or on Coreheim. It has Orcs, High Elves and Dwarf Treasure Hunters but not Ostland or Averland mercenary bands so it is not a complete officially based resource.

I have already noticed the spelling is atrocious so am not hugely optimistic about the data quality. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeThu 9 Apr 2020 - 23:19

Wow.......what a piece of shit website GitHub is (only place the data files are hosted). If you want to talk about the Battlescribe data files or raise problems/questions you must do it via Facebook and Discord.

Guess I will be dumping Battlescribe if I find any errors in the Mordheim data.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2020 - 12:17

Thanks for clearing that up Robh! I guess I won't use battlescribe than for Mordheim aswell, haha...
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2020 - 14:12

I have spent a few hours going through the Battlescribe Mordheim data, it has been a very, very long time since I was involved in program code but thankfully XML (as used by BS) is mostly plain text.

I have fixed the many spelling mistakes/Americanisms and started on some glaring errors; like having the Ogre Bodyguard set to Minimum Appearing =1 or the Human Mercenaries lists having access to Orc magic spells.

Mostly lazy programming I think from overuse of cut & paste. The underlying program is actually pretty good. It relies on user constraint rather than enforced rules for some aspects (No restriction on buying Gromril Armour and an Elven Cloak at start up for example).

I did look at buying a new licence for the Wolf Lair Army Builder program but the Mordheim data file for that has been abandoned (the data file owner last posted in 2012 and has not been on the forum since 2014) so it would be no better while being hugely more expensive. They don't let you access any actual data files in the free trial version so you have no way of checking the validity of the data file.

Looks as if Battlescribe, for all its flaws is the only viable option if you want an automated warband builder. Just such as shame it is linked to GitHub.
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2020 - 16:19

Much to the disappointment of the lead mountain inhabitants who expected to see a coat of paint this week I have continued to play with Battlescribe.

I opted to revert to the previous v1.15 release as developing data files is so much easier with the tools provided as part of that version Unfortunately it means I have had to start everything from scratch rather than my first plan of adapting the unsupported existing files.
So much tedious work. study   Although now I realise why all the software coders I used to employ on my Project teams were more than a little OCD.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2020 - 16:28

Haha oh well, if you can make it work properly it is an awesome app! I had good experiences with it during our games of Kill Team Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battlescribe Army builder program   Battlescribe Army builder program Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battlescribe Army builder program
Page 1 of 1