Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Nuln Gunnery School

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ryryak
Warrior
Warrior
ryryak

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Empty
PostSubject: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jul 2019 - 23:48

Hey all,

How do you guys play the repeater pistols and repeater handguns in the Nuln gunnery school warbands?

When you roll a 1 to hit and the weapon doesn't misfire (another 1) the weapon is supposed to jam. Do you play this as the weapon doesn't fire at all?

Rolling 3 shots basically means that the weapon has a 50% chance to not fire in a given turn; seems to me that the weapon wouldn't be worth taking!

I'm inclined to roll the shots individually, that way if you manage to land a hit or two before rolling the '1' then at least one or two shots managed to potentially hit their target before the weapon jammed.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2019 - 17:00

Sorry for the slow response time. The answer is that most people who still post on this forum have never played with or against the Gunnery school, so we have no idea.

Your solution of doing the shots individually is in line with how I imagine the game was intended to be played. For example the lucky charm is used against the 'first hit'. Which in early games is obvious against shooting attacks, but in practice is impossible to determine in melee, since most warriors dual wield and most players roll their attacks with multiple dice rolled at once (the red one is the sword, white is the dagger.)
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jul 2019 - 17:47

I remember being warned away from the Nuln Gunnery School list a couple of years ago. It's always seemed a bit of a messy list to me, particularly the long descriptions of new guns. & looking at that section now... the instruction to use a set of optional rules followed by additional rules that negate most of the optional rules seems like a mess.

As VK said, your solution sounds like a good interpretation. I'd also recommend not using the warband in any sort of 'competitive' play, & agreeing that rules might need fudging or reinterpreting during games with a friendly opponent.
Back to top Go down
ryryak
Warrior
Warrior
ryryak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeWed 31 Jul 2019 - 18:44

Thanks guys!

Yeah I have no intention of doing this in a competitive group; I play Mordheim in the garage with friends.

I have like, 7 warbands at the moment but not a single one of them is human. Nuln looked like it would be kind of fun as I like the idea of a warband that favors blackpowder, not to mention the ability to include a handheld mortar! I do see a lot of posts about how OP they can be so I'll definitely try and not be "that guy" with them.

My opponents aren't afraid to tell me it's no longer fun to play against a given list - I was getting REALLY lucky with injury rolls and advances for my Beastmen list and they were turning into a nightmare to play against. So they're retired Sad

If it ends up being the same way with Nuln...that's fine. I do this more for the hobbying than the playing anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeSun 4 Aug 2019 - 18:46

I'm a bit nervous of using my (just-finished) Beastman warband, because I'm worried they'll be no fun to play against... But they're really fun to paint & model, which justifies itself! & the modelling opportunities on a Nuln warband do rather justify them as a project...
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeWed 7 Aug 2019 - 4:31

I played the Gunnery School in 2 campaigns about 20 games with them in each,
Rules as written you must "Resolve each shot individually", Misfires are far less common than you think,

1/6 = 16.66%, you can ignore the misfire on a 3+ 16.6/3 = 5.5%, of the misfire table only results 1-3 are going to stop the working of the gun so 5.5% - 50% = 2.75%, which at this point you use your rabbits foot not before hand 2.75%-50% = 1.375% plus 2 shots that don't have a rabbits foot 1.375 + 2.75 + 2.75 = 6.875% of misfiring a 3 shot from a repeating handgun or pistol.

Early Campaign Gunnery School is very powerful if they can turn a profit, having a long rifle blow up or losing a handgun henchmen will seriously hurt this warband. Hired Swords are vital for this warband as this warband becomes quickly outclassed in melee so Ogre Bodyguards and Freelancers are good.
Also consider getting your heroes the Skill Ride Warhorse to force people into the open your enemy will avoid your firing lines.

I played beastmen for significantly longer being my 2nd most played warband. I did terrible terrrible things with my beastmen, using "the power in the stones" supplement to appraise the wyrdstone shards i would create super-powered Beastmen which would inevitably turn into spawns and i filled my henchmen slots with heroes who became spawns (and other terrible things, but that's a story for another day).
Back to top Go down
ryryak
Warrior
Warrior
ryryak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitimeFri 9 Aug 2019 - 23:31

hmmm...I read that differently. If the weapon misfires and then subsequently blows up by rolling another '1', THEN you can ignore the misfire on a 3+. Otherwise if you misfire (roll a '1' to hit) and roll anything other than a '1' on the misfire chart then the weapon just jams. (i.e. no S5 mega shot, the weapon either blows up or jams) Also if you manage to save the '1' the weapon still jams so you would lose any remaining shots. (?)

A Rabbits foot is a great idea here though - having a reroll for a misfire is a great ability.

and yeah...55 point henchmen is a scary prospect come injury roll time. I probably wouldn't even bother with handgun henchmen until mid campaign when I have enough sword/spear/halberds in the list to screen them properly.

Besides I REALLY like the idea of pistolier henchmen. Rerolling those attacks in the first round of combat is a GREAT ability in a game where so few dice are rolled at a time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nuln Gunnery School   nuln - Nuln Gunnery School Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nuln Gunnery School
Page 1 of 1