Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Empty
PostSubject: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeFri 6 Apr 2018 - 18:50

To my knowledge, Mordheim has no rules for hand-to-hand combat over defended obstacles such as walls or barricades. Admittedly, it’s not often an issue as players tend to go around or over them. However, we use Mordheim mechanics for all sorts of games and I can envisage situations in which there could be little choice but to attack a defender behind such an obstacle. So, does anyone have any good house rules for such situations?

FWIW, Warhammer in one of it’s previous incarnations had attackers needing 6 to hit in the first round of combat, but that seems pretty major for Mordheim.

How about charging attackers simply losing their always strikes first advantage so that blows are struck in initiative order?
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

Trading Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 3:16

Citizen Sade wrote:

How about charging attackers simply losing their always strikes first advantage so that blows are struck in initiative order?
That seems like a reasonable solution that shouldn't give too much of an advantage to the defender.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:17

Sounds like a good house rule. The Necromunda solution was a +1WS boost to the defender, which was roughly an equivalent advantage under that combat system.

Alternatively the defender could have an armour save boost from the barricade. But I think I'd rather have the combat order modifier.
Back to top Go down
Friedrich Hetzenauer
General
General
Friedrich Hetzenauer

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 16:19

We've apparently house ruled that very thing so long that I thought it was in the rules. Rarely comes up, but it seems that it works ok for all of us.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 18:02

We have done it both ways, though as with many of our house rules, most folks tend to 'forget' this particular rule Suspect

Currently we are on the attacker loses strikes first variation which I think was how Warhammer 7th edition handled the rule.

Quote :
To my knowledge, Mordheim has no rules for hand-to-hand combat over defended obstacles such as walls or barricades.
The defended obstacle rule shows up in TC#28 in the rules for the scenario Encampment Raid, p. 19.
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 19:19

Thanks all, charger loses strike first it is then thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?   Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on rules for defended obstacles?
Page 1 of 1