Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Matte medium advice?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jon Lackpenny
Warrior
Warrior
Jon Lackpenny

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Matte medium advice? Empty
PostSubject: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSun 7 Jan 2018 - 1:43

Hi,
I have been meaning to try using acrylic medium for some time. Just got a container of Windsor & Newton matte medium. Any tips? Besides "don't drink it" I know next to nothing of the subject of mediums but it was on a massive discount, so I figured I'd try and expand my painting-minis-technique-horizons. I've been painting minis for decades but never touched this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 18:43

I expect few of us know anything about it (and likely those few would never post on the forum, sorry.)
Back to top Go down
Jon Lackpenny
Warrior
Warrior
Jon Lackpenny

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 18:54

Well, I've been having a ball with the stuff. Best thing I discovered since using a color wheel.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 19:59

Excellent! What is it for?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 20:12

I have never heard of the stuff, but I'd love to see the results. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Jon Lackpenny
Warrior
Warrior
Jon Lackpenny

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 20:40

It is sold by Citadel Colour as "Lahmian Medium" but this is kinda like Citadel PVA Glue. Truly one of those cases where it does not make sense to pay the premium for the "official" product. Basically everything in paint is either pigment, binder, or filler. We all tweak the ratios of these things when we mix paints to alter pigments, or add water as a filler to thin our paints.

Acrylic medium is the binder. It's kinda like a bottle of clear acrylic paint. Matte medium (as opposed to gloss) is useful because it can be used to make things less shiny when dried.

I like using inks but they can dry very glassy looking, which is bad if it's a time of year when spraying matte sealer on stuff is not an option. A tiny (and I do mean tiny) drop of matte medium fixes that glassiness.

I also thin almost all my paints with a mix of water and medium now, not just water. It is a game changer. You don't need much at all (too much will destroy opacity) and a BIG bottle retails for around $15 at an art store. Bigbox art stores like Michael's and AC Moore typically have 50% off coupons so it's more like $8. Basically, for paint it comes down to playing not just with thickness/thinness, but also tweaking the surface tension of the paint so it can be thin without being runny.

People use it to make glazes too but I don't glaze much. Yet.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 21:34

Thanks for the info, Jon. It sounds like an interesting technique. Citadel Colours aren't readily available around here. clown
Back to top Go down
Jon Lackpenny
Warrior
Warrior
Jon Lackpenny

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2018 - 21:56

If you use good, high density, artists acrylic tubes of paint, it is the best thing for thinning them.

Also sometime you get a "dead" jar of super-thick semi dried out Citadel paint on your desk... we all know that adding a few drops of water never REALLY revives it... but adding a few drops of medium works wonders, I've discovered!
Back to top Go down
ryryak
Warrior
Warrior
ryryak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeThu 10 May 2018 - 20:23

A little late to the party but I LOVE matte medium. I'm always using it instead of water to "thin" my inks, one thing that you may or may not have seen with inks is a calcifying effect when diluted with water - impurities in the water (of course this can also be solved by just using distilled water) can mess up an ink job pretty good, making the ink turn white.

I've also noticed that it reduces the surface tension of an ink, allowing for better flow. My skaven were painted in a manner where after I sealed the model with varnish I then went back with a pigment wash (just some pigment diluted with water/medium). A higher water content caused the wash to dry in a splotchy manner (this can be desired depending), but the more medium I used the easier it flowed over the surface of the varnish. I then used a pigment fixer to seal the wash once it was dry.

Here's a picture of the effect:
From left to right:
water only
water + a couple drops of medium
only medium

Matte medium advice? 0VJHEJ5h

Slave tax:
Matte medium advice? TsXvzxQ

IRL they're not as orange as they are in the picture...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitimeThu 10 May 2018 - 22:01

The Rat Guys are SPLENDID LOOKING creations. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matte medium advice?   Matte medium advice? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matte medium advice?
Page 1 of 1