Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands

Go down 
+2
DeafNala
Rhydderch
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Trading Reputation : 0

halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Empty
PostSubject: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeThu 16 Nov 2017 - 16:36

I've been asked to provide a Halfling warband list, & I was hoping someone here might know a good list. I've looked around a bit & there are a few out there -- but since none of them are anything like 'official' I don't know how functional or tested any of them are.

KillerShrike's list is currently the front-runner, but I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeFri 17 Nov 2017 - 14:18

The best bet is to post this in the Rules & Games Play section. SO I will move it there. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeSat 18 Nov 2017 - 16:54

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeSat 18 Nov 2017 - 18:49

+1 This is the one I use.

Werekin wrote one, too, but his links are all down...
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeMon 20 Nov 2017 - 8:28

Thanks -- I think I found an early version of this copied onto a webpage, so it's good to have a finished-seeming version & know that it works.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeWed 22 Nov 2017 - 22:28

All of the MiM files can be found in my OneDrive for Mordheim in my signature below. I haven't used Werekin's halfling warband though to know what it is like.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeTue 28 Nov 2017 - 17:04

Ahh, thanks for that. Werekin's Halflings may be acceptable to the target audience who complained that the one Von Kurst used was, & I quote, "a bit too good".

I've a horrible suspicion I'll end up having to blend the lists to provide something he's happy to use... Or I might just insist on using an existing one that I'm assured works, which would be less work. It also might not go anywhere for a while, since Necromunda's just come out. Don't hold your breath...

Thanks again for the help!
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeThu 28 Dec 2017 - 10:18

Rhydderch wrote:
Ahh, thanks for that. Werekin's Halflings may be acceptable to the target audience who complained that the one Von Kurst used was, & I quote, "a bit too good".

I've a horrible suspicion I'll end up having to blend the lists to provide something he's happy to use... Or I might just insist on using an existing one that I'm assured works, which would be less work. It also might not go anywhere for a while, since Necromunda's just come out. Don't hold your breath...

Thanks again for the help!

Pretty interesting warband but yes I do agree that it does look a bit too good... some issue noted below:

Halfling Elder

The guy is ridiculously good value for money. Costing the same as a human mercenary Captain your'e getting +1, BS, I and Ld and -1 in WS. BS5 means you'll be hitting most things on 3s.

Village Ogre

The fact that you can hero him is pretty scary - only a 1/12 chance and at 1/2 exp rate, but once you hit it he'll be an absolute powerhouse after a few advances.

Piggies

These feel like they've been thrown in just to give the halflings a T4 henchmen type.

Ld 8 across the board even for your basic henchmen is a little too "elite."

I actually really like the flavours of the warband but feel that it's got a few too many tools to compensate for its weakness. Overall I feel they should be a shooty / sneaky warband that's very fragile in CC. But T4 fighting pigs and a hero-able Ogre seems to overcompensate things.

My personal tweaks would be to drop a point of BS on the Elder, get rid of the Piggies all together and make it so the Ogre can't hero along with a -1 reduction in Ld for all halfling henchmen would bring it more inline.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeThu 28 Dec 2017 - 12:05

I agree about the Ld -- halflings seem a bit too brave on that list. But I like the high BS paired with the low toughness; I suspect any game with halflings largely consists of the little'uns trying to avoid contact with the big'uns, who will destroy them in hand-to-hand. & given the number of negative shooting modifiers in Mordheim, & the general difficulty of shooting, it seems a fair boost for the halflings.

Ogre heroes are also an option for some other warbands & I've never heard they break the game, so I'm inclined to leave that option. Especially since at half experience gain, it's probably at least four games before you get an advance roll, then you're onto the tenth game before another chance. Plus, the ogre's very expensive for a T4 henchman with a one in three chance of being lost if it goes OOA.

I might want to tweak the piggies though; squig them up a bit, make them a little more wild & random.

I think the main point of dispute was the S3/T3 Halfling Warriors, & a preference for some of KillerShrike's special rules (such as Halflings being -1 to hit when shooting because they're so small). Oh, & some weapon lists to allow the use of particular models. I'm most inclined to work outwards from this list though.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeFri 29 Dec 2017 - 0:39

My main gripe with the ogre along with the piggies is that it compensates the main weakness of the warband by adding toughness and muscle. We usually house rule that ogres gets to roll on the heroes injury chart to mitigate the 1/3 chance that your expensive investment goes up in flames.

-1 to hit can be applied to the halfling thief hero to emphasis his dexterity to both shooting and CC. Not sure if I want to make it -1 across the board as by virtue of their small model size halflings already benefit more from cover.

S2/T2 henchmen wouldn't be so bad as it reflects the nature of a halfling warband. This then can be coupled with some S3 / T4 pigges (or boards) that do function like squigs - random 2D6 movement, must be within 6 of halfling or they go wild.

With some tweaks I think they'll be a pretty fun war band to play - let us know how you go with the play testing.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jan 2018 - 11:23

I've been thinking of a special Ld rule for Halflings -- Courage in Numbers. The basic Ld for a Halfling would be reduced to 5, but you can add +1 for each friendly warrior (not animal) within 6" up to a maximum of Ld8. I think it might allow them to be brave at times, but then scarper when the going gets lonely, which should be quite characterful.

I agree on the -1 shooting modifier issue; they're that much more likely to be completely out of sight, they don't need the extra help on that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands   halfling - Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question/Request -- Halfling Warbands
Page 1 of 1