Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reolus
Champion
Champion
Reolus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Empty
PostSubject: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 5:51

Hey everyone,

I just found out that there was a skirmish rule set for Warhammer Fantasy called Regiments of Renown. It came out during my break from the hobby so I wasn't aware of it. I read through the other few posts regarding this game but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Which edition of WHF rules is the game based on?

Which edition of each army book was current when the rules came out?

I watched a few battle reports online and the game looks pretty fun. It might also be a good gateway game to Mordheim as it seems to be much simpler for new players (although since I never played WHF it will be a learning curve for me).

Thanks in advance. cheers
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 8:22

Well -- this is news to me! Every few years GW seem to release a new type of Warhammer Skirmish. then forget it again without ever pushing its potential.

This one looks to have been 8th Edition, & the rules pack is available here: https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Event-Pack-Regiment-of-Renown.pdf

Plus, they've just lately released Age of Sigmar: Skirmish, which is compatible with current rules. Admittedly, the Age of Sigmar is quite a way off from the human warbands of Mordheim... but then nothing's been released for the Empire (sorry, 'Freeguild') for years, so it's all still human soldiers & militia. Given the simplicity of AoS rules, it could also be a gateway. Especially if people were, shall we say steered towards using a character-driven Mordheim style warband...
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 12:27

Was it really 8th? I stopped playing WHFB around the time 8th came out but I remember (and have somewhere) the rules for RoR. Sure not 7th?
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 13:22

Not sure at all actually, pretty much guesswork. All the discussion of it seems to be from the 8th Ed. period, but also always in past tense, as if it had come out some time before. The pack itself is weirdly dateless. Also, I've barely been updated on Warhammer since 5th Ed. so my guesswork may be well off...

Adding to potential confusion, 'Regiments of Renown' & 'Dogs of War' were dual names for one army in 5th, which was semi-supported in 6th Ed. If anyone's feeling like a better detective than me, I'm happy to be corrected.

Mind you, looking at the pack I suspect you could probably bodge the rules to fit just about any edition.
Back to top Go down
Reolus
Champion
Champion
Reolus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 16:35

Thanks for the comments,

I should have mentioned that I found that PDF of the rules as well...without a date. I was also leaning towards 7th but I just Wiki'd the dates and apparently the 8th edition was available in 2010. All the discussions that I can find through google occur after that...so maybe it is 8th. I see that these events have been occurring even in 2015 and 2016, with no mention in the rules to use an older edition.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jul 2017 - 19:44

Games workshop publishes different rules under the same name quite frequently. The original Regiments of Renown were published back in the 80s for 2nd edition as literally rules for famous regiments. Then published to update the rules for Dogs of War for 6th edition. And then as Skirmish rules for 8th. WarbossKurgan has a couple of battle report threads in this subforum and in the Battle Reports subforum using these rules.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jul 2017 - 11:46

I can see why the name was recycled for this rules pack; the idea of Regiments of Renown was that they were famous units that came with their own characters, so making a skirmish game where you get to develop your own regiment seems like a fun idea. Especially if you were able to use them in WFB afterwards... As I recall, there was an article way back when, maybe in Citadel Journal, providing rules for using Warhammer Quest heroes in WFB, & you could apply the same logic. But I'm rambling...

8th Ed. seems to be the answer. I think we've got that edition rulebook somewhere around here, might try getting someone interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules   Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warhammer Edition for Regiments of Renown Rules
Page 1 of 1