Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Malval District project - Mordheim table

Go down 
+17
Bolbotos
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
DarkLordDaniel
Pervavita
Rhydderch
Eliazar
Dragonhunter
cianty
Grimscull
Azmodan
Reolus
Fat Rat
Wyrdstone Dave
Von Kurst
Codsticker
DeafNala
SimpleAsWar
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

Trading Reputation : 0

Malval District project - Mordheim table Empty
PostSubject: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 25 May 2017 - 12:34

Ok, it's time to unveil a new project of mine. The title of this article may have given you a few hints on what it is and I can see your eyes rolling. One more Mordheim table on the internet. I know, I know, it may sound cliché but I still had to do it. So I will skip the whole "kid's dream" chit-chat and go directly to the project itself...

Background
"Malval is one of the more ruined district of Mordheim, the city of the Damned. Only recently, the radiation level of the shattered pieces of Wyrdstone reached acceptable levels for the most fearless adventurers to investigate this district." - Imperial Geography magazine, vol 2017.

Project
The objective of the project is to build a 120x120 cm (4x4 ft) table on three levels, with a ruined medieval table.

I choose to go for a modular table divided in four squares 60x60 cm (2x2 ft) each. First this would enable me to change the set-up of the board from game to game to keep it fun and diverse to play on it. Second this will also enable me to store it and transport is more easily, as I plan to construct custom-made wood box for this purpose.

To make sure that the various set-up will fit together, I drew a quick sketch of the table. With this design I could potentially reach 10 differents set-up which should be more than enough to provide countless uniques Mordheim games (or Frostgrave and maybe the new Age of Sigma Skirmish game) Wink

Malval District project - Mordheim table 24448652409_35ac21bac6_c

As you can see on the sketch above, in gray there will be a few roads connecting the different modules. In blue, there will be a canal going through the city, heavily inspired by Venice's streets.

To give you a preview of what it will look IRL, here are a few pictures of the basic wooden structure of the four modules.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222140770_a2e2f5f51a

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798122283_f4f71422b7

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765084074_d6e815f676

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446242252_b0e3f62ec7

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608173215_fd45ba87e9

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798154353_a87c85e737

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34566722356_18d7a58896

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798162783_9ef38c3332

So what you think?
I would really love to have your comments about this project as I really want it to be a great Mordheim table and it would be great to have your different points of view or ideas to make it so.

Kibo
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 25 May 2017 - 13:40

Both the table & your workshop are VERY IMPRESSIVE. Watching your creation evolve will be a joy. Have FUN with it all. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

Trading Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 25 May 2017 - 16:23

I am looking forward to seeing this come along as I am still undecided about how I should build the foundation for the buildings I am making: a large fixed board or smaller 24"x24" sections.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 25 May 2017 - 19:07

I saw the facebook post, but really glad too see it here too. Gorgeous shop thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2017 - 0:10

Thanks for your nice comments. I'll try to post the latest advances this week-end. Smile

Kibo
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 1 Jun 2017 - 18:36

Hello everyone,

As promised, here is a quick update of the project, in particular my initial selection of key scenery pieces and bits for the Mordheim table project.

Ruined Basilica
I wanted a central piece of scenery that could be used for highly narrative games. And when I found out this Roman ruined church kit from Fenryll, I knew I found what I needed.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477697331_bf6317ff26

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222243650_99fd7d43b9

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608651495_d87f5ae8b1

In term of scale, once assembled, the kit was a little bit smaller than expected (this is true 28mm, not heroic 32mm) but still I was very happy with it.

A scheme and guidelines are provided in the box to facilitate the assembly but I have to mention that gluing was quite challenging because of the nature of the resin used. After the assembly I broke a few parts and I think I will have to pin them eventually.

Doors & Windows
For this project, I'm planning to mainly use commercial resin building kits, essentially to save time, but I also wanted  to make a few homemade buildings to give the table a unique feel.

For this purpose, I bought various sets of windows and doors from Antenocitis Workshop  and Thomarillon. Both shops are great places for any enthusiastic scenery makers, I highly recommend them!

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608322315_61ea67aa25

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798296783_5d070ce7df

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765229404_dccb73e966

Stairs
The table will be divided in three levels (-1 underground, 0 ground, +1 upstair) and thus it was critical from the start to identify how the miniatures could go from one level to another. For this purpose, I basically choose two type of stairs: wooden and stone stairs.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222362120_cd12646070

The wooden stairs are from Thomarillon. This is a laser-cut MDF kit. The assembly is tricky but in the end, they look great and price is very competitive.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765278934_b61ccbcef1

For the stone stairs, I went with the Hirst Arts Mold #60. They look very nice and the parts are very modular so you have a great freedom to make your stair unique. The only drawback is that you have to spend some times molding each part.
Ruined Village
As mentioned previously, I decided to use a commercial resin kit for the majority of the ruined buildings as I didn't want to spend to much time on this project (and yet ^^).

The ruined kit I selected is the Damaged Village set from Escenorama. From my point of view, this is one of the best resin kit for a medieval ruined city and thus for a Mordheim table! The kits prices are very competitive, especially if you buy them in bulk and the level of details is great even if this is not as detailed as the Tabletop-World's kits. On the other hand, the scale of Escenorama's kit is perfectly right with the usual GW's miniatures (which unfortunately is not the case with the significant lower scale of the Tabletop-World's buildings).

Some people will say that Escenorama's buildings are a little bit repetitive and this is true if you use them as is. But if you customize them with a few additional walls here and there, you easily distinguish each building. The buildings on the pictures below show you the end result I got.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608725485_8c1e72d538

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34478118231_24b116e689

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798709233_c625edbc48

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34478107811_80693136d5

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608704345_f0dbb43c08

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34567193476_5c5fcc9b56

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608692995_b0d7d982ed

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798687763_ab4aff6cc9

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446734752_af0c155cab

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608679725_fb8c55b14b

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446731212_51602378ba

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34567169126_98f0c5e7f0

So what do you think of these choices? I would love to here in the comments your recommendations for kits that would fit this Mordheim table project.

Have a nice day,

Kibo
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 1 Jun 2017 - 20:47

You picked up some really BEAUTIFUL stuff. There is a lot of potential in the mix. The pieces you have underway are TERRIFIC. I can see a SPECTACULAR gaming table in your future. Have FUN with it all! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeFri 2 Jun 2017 - 19:57

Excellent beginnings thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jun 2017 - 1:06

This looks amazing. I love your table so far. The buildings look like they will be really good and are well-designed for gaming. How have you based them?
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jun 2017 - 16:32

Those Escenorama kits look perfect. I have used some of the Sarissa English Timber Frame Houses but (like the Fenryl kit) they are true 25/ 28mm, not heroic scale. If you are doing some scratch building I would have a look at Firedragon Games stuff; I think their materials would work well with the kits you already have.
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jun 2017 - 21:13

Quote :
The buildings look like they will be really good and are well-designed for gaming. How have you based them?
I've based them on 3mm thick MDF board but in the end I'm planning to glue them on the modules.

Quote :
If you are doing some scratch building I would have a look at Firedragon Games stuff; I think their materials would work well with the kits you already have.
Thanks I'll definitely have a look at this website!

To give you a little bit more background about me, I started making scenery as soon as I bought my first catachan guards more than 15 years ago. Since then, I made a few progress in term of modeling and painting techniques. But, I was always more drawn to the Nature scenery-making as you could see with my previous River table or North Afrika table project. Thus, when I finally decided to start the Malval project, I knew that I will have to learn a lot of new techniques related to medieval model buildings and more specifically, how to make Stone walls.

I know that a lot of you use the PS foam (styrofoam) carving techniques and I can tell you that I'm highly impress by what you can make starting from this material. In the future, I'am planning to give myself a try with this techniques but today I wanted to share with you an other technique I learned.

I chose to investigate this technique, mainly because I use a wooden structure for this whole Mordheim table and thus I wanted to model the stone wall texture directly on the wood parts.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765181574_d87aeba589

Here is the final result I get with this technique. As you can see, this is a wood pieces coated with FIMO (or milliput) and carved with a roll which has the negative texture of a stone wall engraved on it.

Step-by-step

For those who wants more detail on this technique, here is a quick step by step.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608294325_847991ecfa

Here are the tools you will need for this technique. The white block on the left is a block of FIMO. Those are easy to find on Amazon or on any Arts & Crafts shop. In my case, I stole it to my wife. Wink

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798265763_a57e759eba

On this close-up you can see the stone wall texture engraved on the roll.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608307275_3b6e1c0aed

First step is to cover the whole surface with FIMO.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477735941_b54913c5d3

Then use the smooth roll to even the surface. It's very important to have an even surface before using the engraved roll.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765216274_ef4053a2ed

On the other hand, the surface doesn't need to be perfectly smooth and homogenous. Actually, some defects will help to make your stone wall more realistic.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798288893_bf3e210aed

Next, use the engraved roll to texturized the FIMO coating. I would recommend to put a thin layer of water on the roll before rolling it over the surface as this will prevent FIMO to stick on the roll.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222349980_aeb5f04eb0

Once engraved, put the parts in your oven for 30 min at 110 °C (230 °F). And voila, it's done. After baking, the surface will be as hard as any plastic.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446360042_2a5bd01034

Last step, which is really important if you want to reuse your molding rolls, is to quickly clean your rolls using an old toothbrush and soapy water to remove all the small pieces of FIMO.

What if I can't put my substrate in the oven?

Yeah, FIMO need to be baked in an oven to "dry" but obviously this is not the right technique if your substrate is prone to melting when exposed to such temperature.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798302253_db56f6ce6b

For example, I made this round wall using a piece of PS foam (styrofoam). But I couldn't put it in the oven because the PS foam is a thermoplastic and as such it would melt when temperature goes beyond its glass transition temperature (i.e. 90 °C/194 °F).

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446386252_85960d7ccb

The solution was to use an alternative to FIMO that would "dry" at room temperature without any baking. In our hobby, we frequently use Milliput (or GW's green stuff) which is a 2-components amino-epoxy paste that become "harder" when the two parts are intimately mixed together and without any baking. Because Milliput is not the cheapest material, especially when you are making large sceneries, I mixed the milliput with SuperSculpey at an approximate 50 vol. % content. This doesn't alter the final mechanical properties and even help to avoid the Milliput to stick too much to the roll when texturing the surface.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477765661_4c3e5f2fae

Here you can see the end result. After 24h drying, the surface is as hard as any plastic surface and ready to be painted!

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798231713_0cfec330a2

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477771501_74f538d773

So that's it for today. What do you think of this technique and of the end result?

Kibo.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jun 2017 - 23:47

It all looks SPLENDID. A plus for me is seeing new approaches to the craft. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jun 2017 - 1:20

Thanks for sharing your technique. It works really well. I love the texture you get from the roller.
Back to top Go down
Fat Rat
Elder
Elder
Fat Rat

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jun 2017 - 15:42

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Reolus
Champion
Champion
Reolus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jun 2017 - 18:39

This looks great so far cheers
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jun 2017 - 19:27

Thanks for the explanation.
Back to top Go down
Azmodan
Champion
Champion
Azmodan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jun 2017 - 14:40

your project looks great so far - keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
http://mymortheim.blogspot.com/
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jun 2017 - 15:35

This is certainly one of the most promising terrain-projects recently. Thank you for taking the time to explain your steps of progress. I've been eyeing these texture rolls myself for example, now I'm leaning even closer to buying them.
What I like best about your buildings is all the rubble. This is something most other tables lack, even the really good ones. Interesting you didn't have many issues with the Escenorama-kits. They are said to be a real pain. Also worth noticing the Tabletopworld stuff supposedly doesn't fit well with some minis. The only negative points usually mentioned about TTW is the price.
If you are fine with Escenorama, I wouldn't look at other manufacturers too closely. Your ruins are a nice unit and look like they belong together. If you'd now put 4ground buildings next to them, for example, this would "ruin" Smile  the whole look imo. Maybe you could build some more bases of pure rubble to put in the streets, because all these buildings probably didn't collapse to the insides.
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jun 2017 - 19:08

Quote :
I've been eyeing these texture rolls myself for example, now I'm leaning even closer to buying them.
The texture rolls are definitely a great tool! You can use them in so many ways, I even used them to imprint directly some styrofoam and it seems to works very nicely. The only drawback is that it takes a lot of steps (and thus time) to have the correct texture, than using textured plasticard for example.

I also agree that I should stay focus with 2-3 scenery manufacturers to keep the uniformity of the whole table.

As you know, the thematic I choose for the Malval project is "Ruined Medieval town" but more specifically I also wanted to give it a lakeside/old-Venetian touch, with old canals, wooden piles structure and obviously Italian Roman arches. I know, I know, you are going to tell me that Warhammer mainly draws its aesthetics from Gothic architectural elements but I thought that including some Roman arches will add a more ancient touch to the Malval district. Like if it was even older than the old world...

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the arches I prepared for the underground canal of the table.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477624021_6778346385

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477631711_06ae7e10c8

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477640581_2b9c3de8b9

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477643801_d1a0c1e371

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446275282_011a7263f1

The arches above use Hirst Arts pieces. But I also found a great, easy and cheap way to make Roman arches.

As you can see below, I reused these wood pieces which are used to wedge Wine bootles in their original box.
Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608239175_ab4759df55

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222224400_5b9decd1e1

I simply cut the arches and texturized them using the Wall "Roll-molding" technique I presented in the previous post.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477877121_555f0dcb71

I'm glad you like it so far and I hope you won't be disappointed by what's next.

Enjoy the rest of your day, Very Happy

Kibo
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jun 2017 - 19:28

Oh that turns out very well! Good work thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jun 2017 - 22:20

BEAUTIFULLY DONE! It's been a long time since I've seen so much woodwork involved in a gaming board. You have a real flair for it. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jun 2017 - 20:02

Hello everyone,

As promised, it's time to take a look at the latest advances of the underground canals of the Malval Project.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477765661_4c3e5f2fae

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798324723_de16660ce7

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765253714_98b8653085

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477781701_1a3456f67b

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222372530_697003597a

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446452172_43cb36248b

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608395415_bcdbdc95b3

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34566925566_f365e76c84

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765377554_78d076d8ac

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477882891_df69772686

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477886641_99aba306f2

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608490175_96d3101fa9

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446536302_193f1f4847

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798501183_80faf0f4c1

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34222454320_230a6351bc

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34567000396_58bbac9a51

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798517473_4b27ed270a

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477939021_a5d7d50658

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34477945851_494fa2b05d

I know, this is still very much Work In Progress but what do you think of table at this point?

Please, feel free to comment and gives me your advices on any aspect you have in mind.

Kibo
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jun 2017 - 20:33

That is coming along WONDERFULLY. The sewers have tremendous potential. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jul 2017 - 19:22

Quick update today to show you a few pics of the very early stage of the Town Hall and Graveyard. I don't have a clear vision for these two sceneries at this point but I thought it was kind of mandatory for any respectable Mordheim table to have these elements. I would love to have your advices, especially in term of overall look and color palette.

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34567160186_ed27f567de

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34608729185_29cc795dc9
Malval District project - Mordheim table 33798725163_071e493eeb

Malval District project - Mordheim table 33765591504_5557b3d8c8

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34446676232_9b457fe9fb

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34567153336_0079e280b5

Malval District project - Mordheim table 34478057771_96c466abef

So let me know what you think?

Kibo
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jul 2017 - 20:37

You are making SPLENDID progress. The Graveyard has a lot of potential. Have FUN with it all!  thumbsup
My own Graveyard was one of the most enjoyable things I have made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malval District project - Mordheim table   Malval District project - Mordheim table Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Malval District project - Mordheim table
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next