Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Shadow War Armageddon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Empty
PostSubject: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeMon 3 Apr 2017 - 5:06

So this latest offering from GW looks good (if insanely over-priced in New Zealand*). It looks like it draws on the Necromunda ruleset and feel but with lists from current 40k armies.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Shadow-War-Armageddon-ENG

Hopefully it heralds a re-release of Mordheim but I won't get my hopes up.

* if you think I'm exaggerating my pricing complaint - this set would cost me NZ$143 (80 pounds) if I could buy it direct from the UK but NZ$264 from my local store! I wish I knew someone in the UK who could buy it and post it to me. I'd still save $100!
Back to top Go down
Reolus
Champion
Champion
Reolus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue 11 Apr 2017 - 16:15

I agree it does look pretty good. I've never played 40K or Necromunda, but I do love skirmish games and it will allow me to buy a box of Necrons and Skitarii that I never would have bought before.

On the other hand, I really hope they don't do the same thing to Mordheim. I love the flavour of the warbands and gaining experience. Making it just a stepping stone into AoS wouldn't appeal to me at all.

Wow that is pretty expensive. Can you purchase it online and have it shipped to your local store for pick up?
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeThu 13 Apr 2017 - 3:39

I've read the rules now and it looks pretty good. There is provision for experience and advancement but its not as flavourful as in Mordheim. The combat rules themselves aren't very different to MH, though the close combat system was copied from Necromunda.

I'm going to run some ork boyz and see how we go. We'll be using my MH table for now!

Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeThu 13 Apr 2017 - 3:40

Reolus wrote:

Wow that is pretty expensive.  Can you purchase it online and have it shipped to your local store for pick up?

Unfortunately not. As soon as I enter NZ as the destination I am redirect ted. Other overseas online retailers aren't allowed to sell GW to NZ. Its mad, considering what a tiny market we are.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeThu 13 Apr 2017 - 14:06

I had gotten some emails about the scenery kits. They really are quite nice if, as has been said, a bit expensive. I didn't realize they were doing a new game for it; I thought it might be part of their Kill Team. With a lack of an opponent, I doubt I will do much other than admire some of the kits.

We have all sorts of absurd restrictions on things here also. Merchants can't sell parts or list discounted prices on line or G.W. won't wholesale to them.  Suspect
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue 18 Apr 2017 - 5:56

I had two games at the weekend. It plays well and is more lethal than Mordheim. Once a warrior is down there's very little chance of them re-joining the battle. I guess that's why its better to be hit by an arrow than a plasma gun!

After each game players get promethium (wyrdstone) to spend but spending restrictions are tougher than in MH and there's no stockpiling of money or gear.

A player may also choose one hero to gain an advance. Like MH they can either get a stat increase or a skill. The skills look quite well developed and balanced.

I'm looking forward to future games with my orks.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeTue 18 Apr 2017 - 14:41

I hope this will lead to some battle reports AND photos...I am addicted to pics. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeThu 20 Apr 2017 - 1:20

I'm painting them now and will post some pics when I'm done. Waaaaaagh!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeThu 20 Apr 2017 - 2:24

Wyrdstone Dave wrote:
I'm painting them now and will post some pics when I'm done. Waaaaaagh!

OH BABY! I live for photos...that speaks volumes about my social life. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeFri 21 Apr 2017 - 1:12

Great to see this happen. Death Squads was close.
Back to top Go down
Wyrdstone Dave
Warlord
Warlord
Wyrdstone Dave

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeFri 21 Apr 2017 - 4:12

I still prefer Mordheim but Shadow Wars is pretty good too. I've been playing quite a few MH games with my son while he's home from university this week. I still love every game!
Back to top Go down
whisper2053
Captain
Captain
whisper2053

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jul 2017 - 13:12

I just nabbed a copy of the 'updated' rulebook for this. My group here is now quite firmly addicted to MH (heh heh) and I would absolutely *love* the chance to run 'Tyranids in Mordheim', so to speak. Extra bonus in that everyone here but me is running Chaos (of some kind) warbands, so they won't even necessarily need to get new minis! Now to wait on the post and suck my friends & family further down the rabbit hole hahahahaha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadow War Armageddon   shadow - Shadow War Armageddon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shadow War Armageddon
Page 1 of 1