Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Mounted archery

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov 2016 - 10:33

First off all I'm sorry if it had been already discussed somewhere in the forum. (I searchet but do not find any trace)

How ranged attack work for mounted warriors?

When the mount move does it count as the warrior moved regarding accuracy with ranged weapons?
Can the mount run and the warrior use ranged attacks?
Does a mount count as an elevated position?
Can somebody refer to any official rules about it?
Back to top Go down
bitxo
Knight
Knight
bitxo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov 2016 - 22:00

Empire in Flames is an official expansion and have included the Town Cryer article 'Blazing Saddles' by Robert J. Walker and Roger Latham regarding mounted warriors. You have the answers to most of your questions there, and some nice skills and rules to not make mounted heroes OP. If you use that rules, there's the 'horse archer' skill, that allows you to shoot while riding a runing mount with -1 to impact, implying you may not shoot when running unless you have that skill.

Road Warden is an official hired sword, and a mounted marksman (an expensive but really good one). Both, Road Warden and Highwayman have the 'expert rider' skill, that allow them to move and shoot without negative modifiers, implying you have -1 as usually when you move and shoot while riding. That skill is not avaliable to heroes, however I'd house ruled it and make it avaliable, but not stackable with 'horse archer' because shooting and running while riding is too good and it should always give you -1 to impact.

Remember that ruleset is optional, and if you are using it you always need first the 'rider' skill for the specific creature you are mounting.

If I'm not wrong mounted should count as elevated position, but as large target also.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitimeThu 1 Dec 2016 - 0:52

+1 to Blazing Saddles article.  Its a mess but it is an officially published rules supplement for mounted models in Mordheim.  The final version can be found in the 2002 Annual and the Empire in Flames books.

Quote :
When the mount move does it count as the warrior moved regarding accuracy with ranged weapons?
Yes.

Quote :
Can the mount run and the warrior use ranged attacks?
No.  As noted above there is a Riding skill that allows the rider to use ranged attacks even if the mount ran.

Quote :
Does a mount count as an elevated position?
Yes.  The rider and mount also counts as a large target.  See also the 2005 Rules Review.
Back to top Go down
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitimeThu 1 Dec 2016 - 8:39

Thanks For the answers.

In the last two battles we tried out mounts and wagons.

I knew the blazing saddles and the empire in flames supplements but I hadn't been able to figure out the shooting and movement using questions. Thanks for clearing it for me.

Mounts and wagons was much fun to use.

Sadly they mean additional expenditure booth in gold and skills.

Also about wagon speed:

I aware that the passenger count  but also that how many draft animal there is.
We agreed that is the minimum (and what a wagon start with) is two, but how can i increase its speed if i use more draft animal (like 4 horse which is possible as the example in losing draft animal rule)?
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitimeSat 3 Dec 2016 - 9:32

I have always loved cavalry models and came up with my own house rules to make mounted heroes more feasible. As the rules are now written (Blazing Saddles) there is not much benefit for the cost of developing a cavalryman. My take on mounted archery is included in my revision of the Horse Archer skill.

You can find my house rules here:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t8044-house-rules-for-mounted-warriors?highlight=mounted

Cheers, Timo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mounted archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounted archery   Mounted archery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mounted archery
Page 1 of 1