Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Elves - how NOT to make people cry?

Go down 
+6
Grimscull
Phantasmal_fiend
Athanatosz
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
RationalLemming
Ulf
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ulf

Ulf

Trading Reputation : 0

elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Empty
PostSubject: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2016 - 22:05

Hello.

I'm just starting with Mordheim so forgive me if I'll ask something obvious (also, sorry for poor grammar). I'm interested in building elf warbands - shadow warriors and dark elves (and maybe wood elves if they have usable rules). Both are apparently very (too?) strong. I really like elves but I really don't want to lose my friends Very Happy Could you give me some general advice on what to avoid and how to make sure that playing against my warbands will be fun for my opponents?
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2016 - 22:10

The druchii.net warband apparently is not too bad for dark elves. I can't help you with any other warbands.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
Veteran
Veteran
Dwalthrim_Grimsson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2016 - 9:49

I'm not an expert on the elves warbands, but colleague from our game club - Przybwoj has created perhaps as balanced rules for the Druchii, whom he played during the campaign.

Here they are: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4OWyfp9RQmWXpBNDVxWlQtbjQ/view

May be useful or will be inspired to create your own more balanced rules. Wink

Back to top Go down
http://debowatarcza.vot.pl/
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2016 - 11:30

Wierd. I had a similar fear. It was discussed
here.

Last edited by Athanatosz on Wed 17 Aug 2016 - 12:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2016 - 2:13

Elves are really good in short campaigns but the longer the campaign the more their flaws become apparent.
Generally maxing out toughness at 4.
Having low strength range fire.
and not many hired swords.
A simple change like not allowing any elven warband to "Blood Pact" hired swords would be a good balance.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2016 - 10:59

Phantasmal_fiend wrote:

A simple change like not allowing any elven warband to "Blood Pact" hired swords would be a good balance.
If Von Kurst sees this... What a Face

You could just argue to NOT change the rules as the Blood Pact is not part of the the RB but merely the notorious Ultimate MH rulebook or whatever it's called.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2016 - 12:42

We use a rule that a roll of 1 to hit is an automatic fail. Auto hits on BS6 isn't very fun to play against.

Also cover helps a lot. Our board is usually full of ruined buildings, walls etc that you usually can move from cover to cover and end your turn without being seen.

Personally I haven't had too much trouble being shot at. But then again I play Orcs so with T4 troops as standard and 5s up to wound I have been spoiled.

Back to top Go down
MagicJuggler
Hero
Hero
MagicJuggler

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2016 - 22:13

Elves generally get a leg-up on their opposition in most GW games due to the mix of speed, accurate shooting, and general reliability when it counts. High Elves were always a power army in WHFB, as well as Eldar throughout most of 40k.

One thing I would probably recommend would be revising the rules for allowing "partial" hiding. As is, if *one* model is close enough to see Hidden Models, the entire Warband can see. So you can do silly Shadow Shenanigans by having your Shadow Seer run up, scan an entire area (combine with a Lantern, or even Crimson Shade if you want to go down that route), then teleport back.

If you so desired, you could make it so you can view hidden models 2" further away, for each model you have which can already see it (in theory, chaining it up), though that would take more time to process.

From a "Fluff" perspective, I kind of like the idea of "High Elves" being a faction that can choose one of several "Kingdom" specialties. So rather than choosing from Reiklanders/Middenheimers/Marienburgers (or Remasans/Miragleans/Trantians if you're Tilean), you could have Ellyreans/Caledorians/Chracians/Nagaryntheans/Avelornians/Lothernians/etc. Smile Likewise, Dark Elves having the option for Har Ganeth/Clar Karond/etc.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2016 - 3:04

Grimscull wrote:
You could just argue to NOT change the rules as the Blood Pact is not part of the the RB but merely the notorious Ultimate MH rulebook or whatever it's called.
Oh is *that* where that rule is from? I have been looking hard over all my expansions trying to find it. A few people had been mentioning it in my group and I couldn't find it anywhere. Good to know, thanks Smile.

Last edited by Lord 0 on Sat 30 Jul 2016 - 5:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2016 - 4:46

actually i got it from liber Malefic Swords of the Empire, http://cianty.ashtonsanders.com/mim/pdf/swords_of_the_empire.pdf

im pretty sure the Ultimate MH rulebook ripped it from him
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2016 - 9:14

Or this way around. Sorry for the confusion. In any case, the Blood Pact is nothing official, right?

And if the Ultimate MH Rulebook could at least mention its sources...
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitimeTue 2 Aug 2016 - 1:20

Quote :
And if the Ultimate MH Rulebook could at least mention its sources...

Usually they do, except when its their own 'improvements' of the rules... Suspect

I was blissfully unaware that they had started to add werekin's stuff. I've only looked at their warbands and hired swords, didn't notice any Swords of the Empire entries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elves - how NOT to make people cry?   elves - Elves - how NOT to make people cry? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elves - how NOT to make people cry?
Page 1 of 1