Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?

Go down 
+3
RationalLemming
suicidal_rage
Von Kurst
7 posters

Do you allow a model to climb and attack an ememy?
Yes we do.
charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_lcap92%charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_rcap
 92% [ 22 ]
No we don't.
charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_lcap8%charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Never came up.
charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_lcap0%charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Empty
PostSubject: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2016 - 18:06

My group has always allowed a model that must climb to attack an enemy to do so.  I always understood that the rules supported this because of this FAQ reply:

Tumas P wrote:
Q Can you really climb up a wall and then
charge someone? We made a house rule that
said you can’t, but is there something official?
A You can, as otherwise buildings would be
too good positions.

However I have run into several rules in fan made campaigns that make such an attack possible with a skill. (MiM and Sartosa) Both fan made skills are based on the fan made hired sword The Swashbuckler.

So I'm climbing curious. How do you play the situation?
Back to top Go down
suicidal_rage
Hero
Hero
suicidal_rage

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2016 - 18:38

From my recollection we played you can as long as you start your turn at the base of the wall to be climbed as per the climbing rules. So if you have enough movement after climbing then yes.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2016 - 19:36

Yes. The rules for climbing must be followed, thus any relevant initiative tests must be passed in order for a successful charge to occur.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2016 - 0:33

Thanks for the poll. We've always allowed it in the past. However, I find rules like 'Spry' from MiM confusing and make me second guess myself.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2016 - 6:19

In my group we tend to stay as close to RAW as possible and still be fun, so, yes, we absolutely allow climbing as part of a charge - subject to all the usual charging-out-of-LOS, climbing rules, etc.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2016 - 7:25

as Tuomas said, it would be ludicrous to not allow it. You'd have to spend two turns just preparing that charge, and leave yourself entirely open to getting charged in the turn where you're climbed.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2016 - 16:11

Well some groups don't allow it, so that IS how they do things.  Assaulting a defended building is still a bloody mess WITH 'climbing charges', if you are trying to attack a nest of skaven slingers or Reiklanders.  If its elfs defending, we just give up and sacrifice henchmen to get the game over.

Quote :
Thanks for the poll. We've always allowed it in the past. However, I find rules like 'Spry' from MiM confusing and make me second guess myself.
You are most welcome.  I have tried to discuss Spry with Stu, but I'm not very good at that.  

I never noticed the Sartosa version's rules until one of my players took the skill, then asked if everyone in my warband had it when I attacked his fortress.  I had never really read the Swashbuckler's special skills until then.  

I really don't understand the Swashbuckler author's reason for writing that skill.  I mean there is the skill scale sheer surfaces, right?

Mordheim rulebook Part III, p.84 wrote:
Scale Sheer Surfaces. A warrior with this skill can scale even the highest wall or fence with ease. He can climb up or down a height equal to twice his normal Movement, and does not need to make Initiative tests when doing so.

Swashbuckler Hired Sword wrote:
Nimble: A Swashbuckler is used to climbing in and out of windows, as well as running along rooftops. To reflect this, a Swashbuckler may run or charge while climbing.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2016 - 7:59

We've always allowed it as Mordheim is more exciting as a 3D game and anything that makes people less willing to use the third dimension makes the game less fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2016 - 2:50

Definitely otherwise it'll make those snipers too hard to remove.

Here's how we play:

You can charge at anything as long as you have enough Movement.

Ladders - You can charge up a ladder (no initiative test required) unless the enemy is standing directly in front of the ladder's top landing in which case they have blocked off access and you'll have to find another way around.

Climbing Charge - You can charge enemy models located above you as long as you pass a Initiative test for every 3 inches of vertical movement. There is no fail penalty for the first 3 inches climbed. For every 3 inches beyond that you take falling penalties as per in the rule book should your initiative test.

You are limited to 3 inches vertical movement if there are no connecting elements e.g. walls, columns etc that connects to the floor/ledge the enemy model is located - so essentially you can "jump charge" up to a vertical distance of 3 inches (testing for I of course). Anything beyond that you'll need connecting elements to "climb charge" and risk falling if you fail your I test.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?   charge - Do you allow a model to climb as part of a  charge? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you allow a model to climb as part of a charge?
Page 1 of 1