Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Printing Living Rules in book form?

Go down 
+5
Duce
Ezekiel
cianty
WarbossKurgan
JackhammerJohn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
JackhammerJohn
Warrior
Warrior
JackhammerJohn

Trading Reputation : 0

Printing Living Rules in book form? Empty
PostSubject: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 9:44

While I have the original rulebook from the boxed edition, I have wanted to print out the Living Rulebook in a more professional manner. I have looked at CafePress and Lulu.com http://www.lulu.com/en/products/?cid=en_tab_publish and a few others. I was wondering if it was legal? I totally respect copyright laws and author wishes. I was thinking of printing a few copies for my game group who is interested in the game. I guess I can print them out from the pdf form on my printer and put them in a binder, but a soft or hard back book would be great!

What say you? Issues?
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 10:26

I have a feeling its not strictly legal, but I'm in no way sure.

Worth asking the company you want to use before spending the money!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 10:39

As long as it is for personal use it doesn't really matter if it's 100% percent legal or not because they won't care. You're not making money off of it, they're not losing money. If anything at all, then you are HELPING them by spreading the word. I really wouldn't worry about this. GW sure has better things to do then send their lawyers after a person who has printed a free PDF rules set.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 14:27

you could include a little footnote..

all rights reserved GW.. jiddy jiddy,

we are aware of this not being legal, but since GW stopped producing it themselves, there is nothing left for us to do, but completely ignore their rights, and claim the "gamers amendment"... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 14:57

i believe your fine as its not being sold and is purely for personal use (Friends included as long as they don't sell it)

your fine as long as no money starts changing hands, bar for the print cost only (As in friends giving you money for the cost of printing).

Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008 - 15:23

They give permission for individuals to print their PDFs for personal use, so that's not an issue.

But they expressly forbid anyone from making money from their IP. For example you are not allowed to pay someone to give you a tattoo of a GW image.

Now whether they will actually do anything about it if you did is doubtful, but they could in theory take the tattooist to court and get the money you paid for the work.

because of this you may find that the company you want to make your book may be unwilling to take on the job. Like I said, worth asking before paying any money out!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008 - 1:10

You and print it and bind it but DONT SELL IT.
Back to top Go down
Oldcastle
Champion
Champion
Oldcastle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008 - 19:05

WarbossKurgan wrote:
They give permission for individuals to print their PDFs for personal use, so that's not an issue.

But they expressly forbid anyone from making money from their IP. For example you are not allowed to pay someone to give you a tattoo of a GW image.

Now whether they will actually do anything about it if you did is doubtful, but they could in theory take the tattooist to court and get the money you paid for the work.

because of this you may find that the company you want to make your book may be unwilling to take on the job. Like I said, worth asking before paying any money out!

Actually, with this in mind, so long as the book had a blank cover, the binder provided nothing involving GW's IP... They didn't give you anything from GW... You gave it to them, and they gave you a book cover to hold it.

Splitting hairs I know... but I also know the local Kinko's down here will get that obnoxious... they are copyright fearfull... I'd have to have it printed off, take ti to them, and provide proof that there is legitimate access to download it for personal use, and then the binding would be a "maybe"... Heck, I could probably have a notarized letter from GW saying I could, and they'd be "maybe", thinking I forged the letter and Notary Seal... Shocked
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008 - 0:26

I think aving it bound if you have printed it will be fine. Paying someone to print it and bind it as a book is out as it breaches the copyright of GW's Intellectual Property... It's a fine line I know.

study
Back to top Go down
JackhammerJohn
Warrior
Warrior
JackhammerJohn

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008 - 7:48

Yeah, it is such a fine line. I think I will keep it safe for now and just print from my computer. I wish things were clearer on some of this free stuff. I mean, I understand if Kinko's or some binder refused to copy and bind, say, Warhammer Roleplay or DnD directly from a bound book or copies. But GW is allowing us to download the material for free. I guess it is meant for home and personal use. Well, let me know if anyone gets something definite from GW.

I suppose a nice black notebook will be just a good.
Back to top Go down
2hammerz
Youngblood
Youngblood
2hammerz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008 - 21:13

ive often used 'spine binders' for rules print outs:)

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Supplies,School-supplies,Binder-clip/Number-of-pages-80-sheets-3-34967

theyre pretty cheap and it may even help that u can only fit so many pages.. = split into relevent sections:)

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
JackhammerJohn
Warrior
Warrior
JackhammerJohn

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2008 - 10:41

Very nice! I will consider it. They look great for Letters of the Damned, too. Undead
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2008 - 12:21

I have all my downloads in different plastic three ring binders....but yea....an official book binding would be nice. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
JackhammerJohn
Warrior
Warrior
JackhammerJohn

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008 - 5:05

2hammerz wrote:
ive often used 'spine binders' for rules print outs:)

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Supplies,School-supplies,Binder-clip/Number-of-pages-80-sheets-3-34967

theyre pretty cheap and it may even help that u can only fit so many pages.. = split into relevent sections:)

hope this helps

Pick some of your suggested binders at Office Depot and they work great! I create chapters and have my friends look at the rules without the whole rulebook being out of action. Great idea! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Teadoir

Teadoir

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Dec 2008 - 7:26

I printed out my copy at home, and used sheet protectors in a 3-ring binder. That way the pages are sturdier and won't tear out over time, and they're safe from spills as well. Staples carries 200 for $13.

I think technically, you can't pay some one to print off GW's stuff, even if it is a free download. However, if you walked into a Kinkos and asked to have them print and bind a PDF off a memory stick, I doubt you'd get looked at twice. If you don't tell them what it is or ask for twenty copies that is. Or get the manager...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Printing Living Rules in book form?   Printing Living Rules in book form? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Printing Living Rules in book form?
Page 1 of 1