HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Frosty Beginnings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackasaurus
Hero
Hero

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Frosty Beginnings    Thu 26 Nov 2015 - 12:10

Start of the warband, I had a bunch of left over parts from my Huntsmen box which I'd used for making youngbloods. The heads and arms were a pretty good fit with the Frostgrave models. The older militia/mordheim models are a bit oversized and very ham fisted, the newer empire stuff is a bit more slender and much closer in scale so even though they are a touch larger they translate well. I gave each of them Huntsmen heads, the shield is from a goblin, the bowmen have gw arms and the sword arm on the sack carrying [s]theif[/s]... "professional finder"

Last edited by blackasaurus on Mon 18 Jan 2016 - 22:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hannanibal
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Thu 26 Nov 2015 - 14:09

They look great mate. Cheers for introducing me to Frostgrave miniatures. I'll be getting some of those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Sun 29 Nov 2015 - 12:46

Really like the new Frostgrave range. I hope they expand their production and distribution one of these days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackasaurus
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Sun 6 Dec 2015 - 6:05

With all the boxes that have been showing up this week my mail carrier has been a very busy guy.

My order from Warlord arrived which had:

box of soldiers
box of cultist.
Lich Lord
Lich & Apprentice
Enchanter & apprentice
x2 armored skeletons
x2 wraith knights
Spell cards

Amazon order: Frostgave core rules & Thaw of the Lich Lord

Multiple Ebay bits orders & Avatars of War Dwarves

Head sprues from Statuesque Minis

GW Huntsmen box and Dwarf Thunderers

I also picked up Dave Grafham's ruined terrain bundle from wargaming vault. I also picked up glue and foam core at Hobby Lobby and plenty of printer ink and cardstock at Office Depot. It's been a pretty full and expensive week.

The dwarves I've been drooling over for the last two years as I'd considered building a dwarf gang back when we did our Mordheim campaign, I have a unit of Long Drong's pirate slayers which are great models and what I've used for past campaigns. I love the models but they are always brimming with too many pistols and they don't have have a proper treasure hunting feel. I really liked the dwarf pathfinders as they looked more like rangers or thieves as they had fairly minimal armor and I really liked the hooded heads. What I didn't realize is that despite being label as "plastic" they are the crappy PVC restic type "plastic" that Sedition Wars uses or the Mantic games style PVC. The sculpts are pretty well detailed but the difficulty comes from getting the pieces cleaned and lined up. I really hate working with that stuff but at least I finally have those dwarves.

They are all armed with either crossbows or two handed great weapons which works fine for rank and file units, for Frostgrave of Mordheim they'll need some modifications so I picked up some axe and hammer arms from the Ironbreaker kits and I'm currently scrounging through my bits box for shields as I have a giant pack of them somewhere. The fit on the stock PVC crossbows is a giant pain to get lined up as they get hung up either on the beards or the arrow quivers hanging on their belts. I'm hoping the GW crossbows will fit better, but it's likely that I'll need to shave off the arrows and do some minor resculpting. The axe and hammer arms fit well although they are a bit static looking. I still have half the box left so I can expand the gang should I decide to brave more work with the PVC. It may prove easier to recast some of them in resin and work on copies instead.

My planned Enchanter, Apprentice, & Great Weapon Henchman

Random Gang filler

Crossbow carriers awaiting their arms

I also started working on a female gang made from the soldier box, Statuesque heads and Huntsmen parts. I recast the heads in resin as I dislike mixing plastic and metal on models and it also makes them top heavy and prone to tipping over. Outside of the weight issue the detail on them is simply amazing and I highly recommend them.

The two handed sword model proved more difficult than I expected the stock left arm that crosses over the chest is quite flat and looks very unnatural and the hilt of the sword has a weird indention on the side that faces the body rather than the whole grip being round. I wanted the left hand to help cover that indention so I cut the left arm above the elbow and replaced the upper arm with one from a different arm. Getting them to line up was a pain as the glue kept refusing to hold and one arm would pop off, then just as I'd get it to hold the other would let go, or both would fall off at the same time. I repeated this about 5-6 times with a lot of dropping parts and swearing until it finally held. Once it finally took hold I added some extra glue to the seams along the back just in case and it'll need some love with greenstuff as it's still a very rough fit. After seeing it in the pics I think I also need to go back and trim the hood down a bit as it's pretty high when viewed from other angles.

To get the models dual wielding I did some careful trimming and transplanted them from the other right handed copies, I took one of the open cultist hands and cut it off at the wrist, then used the dagger hand from the soldier box to replace the hand. Carefully trimmed away the dagger blades and added the axe and sword also adding the lower part of the hilt on the axe. The connection seems fairly solid but I may need to revisit it with plastic glue instead of the super glue I've been using. The bow & arrow arms are from the huntsmen box and needed a slight bit of trimming at the shoulder and edge of the chests to get lined up, but it was very minor compared to the sword swaps.

I may add another 2-3 melee fighters once I figure out what the ideal mix will be for the gang, not sure if I need an additional dual wielder or if I need another shield or two in the mix. I'd started the conversion before my huntsmen showed up otherwise I would have just used them as the kit has a couple of left arms holding combat weapons.

Next stuff in line is to work on building some of the cultists and start cutting out all the cardstock terrain.

The combat models

Fire support

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackasaurus
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Sun 6 Dec 2015 - 6:14

Von Kurst wrote:
Really like the new Frostgrave range.  I hope they expand their production and distribution one of these days...

When I first saw them they looked a bit too 90's style for my tastes but it grew on me pretty quickly and once I was able to compare some of the parts alongside the GW kits I was totally sold. From what I've been seeing on Lead Adventures forum they also mix really well with stuff from FireForge, and Perry.

It's a really nice range with lots of conversion potental. I'm also enjoying the metal sculpts that they have for the lich and other undead. I can't modify those as easy as the plastics but they are quite well detailed and I'm really excited about the range.

First game will be next weekend and I'm looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Sun 6 Dec 2015 - 7:33

COOL LOOKING STUFF! The metal Guys remind moi of West Wind's Dwarf War minis...that's a selling point with moi. Have FUN with them all!   thumbsup

Question: Is this going to tie into Mordheim or is it a Frostgrave only thread? If it's purely Frostgrave, the thread should be moved to the Fantasy Shout Out section.   Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christian
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Tue 15 Dec 2015 - 9:47

Awesome stuff! Gotta try out Frostgrave as soon as I get some time over!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackasaurus
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Mon 18 Jan 2016 - 22:32

It's going to be a mix of both Mordheim and Frostgrave as I'm dual purposing many of the models and more importantly the terrain.

With all the holidays and training for a new job I haven't had a lot of free time over the last month. I had the weekend off and wanted to get back to work on the terrain I'd printed off, I picked up the Dave Graffham ruined buildings bundle via War Games Vault. I printed about a dozen buildings on standard cardstock paper, I went through two cartridges of ink which run about $45 a piece. Total materials cost for a 4x4 table worth of terrain (plus buying all the various tools) is looking to be $150-$200 by the time I'm done, which will give me about a dozen buildings. I wanted to give them some extra strength and durability so I decided to mount them some board. I couldn't find any chit board (gray board) at Hobby Lobby so I picked up some black matting board. It's really sturdy and it'll easily support the weight of metal models but it does complicate the build somewhat. It's fairly heavy material and it's about twice as rigid as the printed buildings that came with the Mordheim core set.

If I'd stuck with the just the card stock the wall pieces are laid out so they can just be folded over on the indicated lines and they'll line up correctly (or alternately if they are printed double sided). However in order to glue them down to the mounting board I have to cut each of the section out and try to line them up as best as possible, it's hard to get it 100% perfect but with a little extra cutting work it does pair up ok. To factor in the increased wall thickness the pieces for interior walls each need to be cut back about 2-3mm so that the corners line up better. The mounting board material is hell on the exacto blades and I'm going through about 2-3 blades per building, while it produces some pretty decent looking results they go dull crazy fast.

To help hold the pieces in place I use some scotch tape on the corners before gluing the print out so that it remains flexible until I'm ready to secure everything to the base. The corner building was a breeze the 4 sided house was a bit trickier to get everything squared properly. Once everything is done I go over all the edges with a sharpie marker to get rid of all the white edges from the card stock so that it's a solid black edge.

The picture quality isn't as good as I'd like, the lighting in my dining room is terrible and everything is a bit fuzzy as a result.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Frosty Beginnings    Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 5:48

They do look good & should be fine gaming terrain. WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down