Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Nick
Champion
Champion
The Nick

Trading Reputation : 0

---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Empty
PostSubject: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeSat 21 Nov 2015 - 4:55

One of the valid criticisms of any game is when there is what I call a "no-brainer" choice. That is, the goal of a game is to make you make meaningful or interesting decisions.

Do I choose this hero or these two henchmen?

Do I choose a set of halberds or maybe a few bits of armor with a double-handed weapon wielder in support?

Do I specialize my heroes between shooting and combat or do I go with generalists who can handle any situation?

However, one of the easy questions is, "Do I take maximum number of heroes?"

Because Exploration Phase rolls are so powerful, the answer is almost entirely, universally, excessively "Yes Yes Yes!"

What about the concept of counting Henchmen groups of Five as a Hero for purposes of exploration?

That is, a warband that has a Henchmen Group of 5 counts them as a hero (perhaps you keep them at 4 if you want other heroes). But if a single one of them goes OOA, they don't function as a hero (as they only want to go out as a mini war party and aren't as brave as their heroes are).

Objective? Intent?

The intent is to encourage starting warband builds to vary some, as well as for eventual warband builds to also change up. It also makes the Experience Roll for henchmen eventually cap out the ease of just filling up a Henchmen group as a "Quick Hero", since you'll have to pay extra for the items and experience for a 'meaty' group and you're literally risking your Exploration Roll on a 'character' that can be removed from the Exploration Roll phase by taking any one of five models Out Of Action (so no 'sacrifice a henchman' strategies for easy Exploration rolls if you want to use your big henchmen groups as a substitute Hero).

It might also cut down on "I don't have a two Henchmen Groups of 5, but TEN Henchman Groups of 1!", which is a different kind of obnoxious, but obviously just looking for TLGT.

Comments?
Thoughts and similar ideas appreciated. List potential ways to abuse this, as well. Additionally, list some alternate builds you might consider if you could do this other than your warband's "Obvious Starting Build".

Also, some rules or stipulations you might be interested in seeing if this were a rule. Is it viable? Does it accomplish what the goals I listed? Does it introduce any problems that couldn't be fixed?
Back to top Go down
The Nick
Champion
Champion
The Nick

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2015 - 7:25

Talked to a Mordheim friend about this who has run Mordheim events every year for a decade. Between the two of us, we added to the following:

* Make it 'groups of 4', so that a group of 5 can take a single casualty so they don't compete so heavily with heroes and can take a casualty somewhere along the line. This pairs up nicely with future suggestions as well as the fact that once the group hits a certain Exp threshhold, they just won't be getting more recruits, meaning you'll want to pump their numbers (and pay for their experience AND hope you get the Veterancy Pool rolls you need) before they become expensive/impossible to buff up in numbers.

Next issue: Mordheim has a feature for minimizing Henchmen groups into groups of one to five, requiring them to have the same equipment. This makes it easier to track them, both in terms of management as well as for opponents. Unfortunately, the Lad's Got Talent roll immediately competes with this, as you want to maximize your chances of getting a talented lad but to do so you need to break up your henchmen groups into different groups, even if the groups are exact matches of each other.

Solutions

* A) Allow one henchman to "Lad Up", but only if your Veterancy Pool roll is 10+. You may pick the henchmen.

* B) Each henchman is entitled to a single "Talent" roll; on double 6s (1/36), that henchman may become a Hero. This solution necessitates changing the Henchman advance tree in some way.

New Combat Skill: Inspirational. As long as this hero is not taken OOA, you may add +2 to your Veterancy Pool Roll after each game.
Back to top Go down
The Nick
Champion
Champion
The Nick

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2015 - 7:55

Just a bump.

Curious to hear other thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2015 - 22:01

Its an interesting idea but not sure I would use it in my groups. The limit of 6 heroes searching or directing the henchmen in the search for wyrdstone is a mechanic that seems to balance (as much as balance can be obtained) warbands.

Does it add value for your games? Then certainly use it. I already see mercs and skaven that are able to get off to some impressive leads in the early campaign with more heroes and certainly more henchmen. Adding the extra search rolls to those hench groups would add to that, adding more models and better gear. I like things to be hard fought and well earned. Strategic choices in model selection and equipment are already part of the game. I personally dont see a need to ease those decisions.
Back to top Go down
The Nick
Champion
Champion
The Nick

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2015 - 19:08

Ok, to be clear, the intent is not to add more than six searches.

Rather, a hero slot can be replaced with a 'large enough group of henchmen'.

To be clear, they take up a hero slot, not a backup for it.

So, a group of 20 in a warband could not have 9 searches in it. Rather, an alternative hero could be 'a specific group of henchmen of sufficient size'.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jan 2016 - 21:10

I actually kind of like this idea. It seems like it would allow for different styles of play. Conventional wisdom for Mordheim is to stack as many heroes as possible, and split henchmen up individually instead of grouping them to increase your chances of a TLGT roll. Not to say those are problems in need of solving, but adding this gives more ways to build a warband, which is never a bad thing.

Nice idea, may have to try it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule   ---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

---- Modified Exploration Chart Rule
Page 1 of 1