Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Empty
PostSubject: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitimeSun 8 Nov 2015 - 15:27

Hello all.

I'd like to get your input on a couple of examples I have on climbing. Allow me to set the stage.

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Climbi10
https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/17/76/48/91/climbi10.jpg

Here's my vampire standing next to a building. The climbing rules never states this explicitly, but are you allowed to climb in a path that's not directly upwards? See the red line - that's where she'd have to go if she can only climb right up. The blue line shows a possible path she could take if she's allowed to climb in an angle. With Scale Sheer Surfaces she'd actually have enough movement to get up there in one go.

A side question - take a look at this next picture.

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Climbi11
https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/17/76/48/91/climbi11.jpg

This is the second level of the same building. You can see that a 20mm base model can only fit with some overlap. The climbing rules says that you need to start at the base of what you're going to climb. So in this case, would the first climb have to be up to this second level and the second climb the next turn would be from there to the top? Or would a single climb be able to cover it all?

Continuing with the next picture.

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Climbi12
https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/17/76/48/91/climbi12.jpg

This is another side of the same building. From the bottom to the top there's no ledge or anything that can hold a model's base, so one single climb should be able to cover all of it. With Scale Sheer Surfaces, of course.

And just to reiterate the first question again.

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Climbi13
https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/17/76/48/91/climbi13.jpg

Same situation as the first: If you can only climb straight up (red), the vampire would have to settle for reaching the second level. If she could climb at an angle (blue) she can reach all the way to the top in one go.

Please let me know how you would handle these situations and also if these rules have been clarified somewhere.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitimeSun 8 Nov 2015 - 16:10

We tend to climb straight up things when using normal climbing and anything goes with Scale Sheer Surfaces (which has fallen out of favor with the lads as cheesy). We aren't too picky about it though so this has never come up (to my knowledge).

There are a couple of climbing related questions in the FAQs.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=2B7C1D22EA7D959%21154&cid=02B7C1D22EA7D959&group=0&authkey=%21AByFcnV1qMjZdzg

Now that you are posting again, how about some illustrated adventures? You have nice scenery and well painted models AND a camera, just saying...
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitimeSun 8 Nov 2015 - 19:33

In my group we allow climbing in directions other than straight up and it doesn't seem to have reduced any fun.

We have also house-ruled that if you have a Rope and Hook you can climb up even if there is no wall or pillar or what-have-you to climb up e.g. going up from the end of the red line in the first picture.
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitimeMon 9 Nov 2015 - 19:08

Thanks for your input. In this campaign I'm deliberately trying to keep the number of house rules down in order to make it more accessible for beginners. That would mean that climbing in all directions will be permitted but will also be halted if you come across a ledge. That little bit of distinction would also give greater purpose to those magical boots that the legends tell of, since they'll ignore that as well.

Von Kurst, I'm currently writing some campaign progress fluff for my warband, this time including in-action pictures taken during important scenes. It's not quite the same as a battle report but it's a small step of the way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2015 - 3:58

Quote :
Von Kurst, I'm currently writing some campaign progress fluff for my warband, this time including in-action pictures taken during important scenes. It's not quite the same as a battle report but it's a small step of the way.

Sounds great to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces   Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Climbing questions. Also about Scale Sheer Surfaces
Page 1 of 1