Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Steam and Stone

Go down 
+2
DeafNala
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: Golden Tom Golden Tom

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2015 - 2:07

Hello all!

After a 3-ish year hiatus from the hobby(mostly from no motivation), i have decided to jump back in!
I have mostly been posting over at my blog in case i hit another wall and don't feel like posting again for a while, but the hour a night schedule seems to be working out pretty well so far and i'm once again enjoying the hobby Very Happy

So what will this thread be about? Sadly not Mordheim, still no motivation to start/carry on with my warbands.
This tread will be all about my adventures in Malifaux and Kingdom Death, mostly focusing on painting this time around and no so much conversions as the models from both ranges are already fantastic sculpts.

Anyway, onto some pics eh?
First up we have some finished models from Guild crew.

Captain Dashel
Steam and Stone KEuUZ3j

Guild Lawyer 1
Steam and Stone Ukd6NzT

Guild Lawyer 2
Steam and Stone JbAzyfT

lemme know if the pictures a abit too large, need to relearn sizing for forums aswell as taking less blurry pictures(maybe i was just rushing/being impatient lol).

Next are some models from Kingdom Death: Monster, a kickstarter project i backed afew years ago which recently started shipping. Really happy with the quality of everything in the box.

Haven't started painting these guys yet(aside from undercoat), but just wanted to show some of the detail/what will be coming up.

starting Survivors
Steam and Stone RyiSSXw

Afew of the monsters
Steam and Stone Xv96zcZ

That's all for now, C&C are always welcome like normal Smile

-Foot
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2015 - 2:33

WELCOME HOME, FOOT! The new project is LOOKIN' GOOD! The Wyrd Forum was the first on-line group I was involved with; I have an ongoing fondness for their minis even though the game is of no interest to moi. Your starting crew members are as BEAUTIFULLY painted & based as ever. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
The Kingdom of Death miniatures are WONDERFUL creations that are much too pricey for moi, but wonderful nonetheless.   clown
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2015 - 4:25

Wow! Those guild guys are Malifaux? They could be a Mordheim crew from Mutiny in Marienburg with a little work...

Never heard of Kingdom of Death, must have missed that one.

Cool stuff as usual.
Back to top Go down
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Personal Info

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2015 - 11:17

@Von
Thanks von! Very Happy
Indeed they are! These guys are from the Bound by Lawy box, can really see alot of the Malifaux/Wyrd stuff suiting Mordheim with alittle work. Yah, the  kickstarter was about 2-3 years ago if i remember.

@Deaf
Thanks deaf! Tis good to be back Smile
Have only played the game back in first edition myself, but the models are what really drew me into Malifaux.
I got lucky with the kickstarter, were abit cheaper than the price they are charging for the pre-orders atm. You do however get ALOT of stuff in the box aswell as everything from the minis to the cards being all very high quality, alot higher than i thought they were going to be Wink

-Foot
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2015 - 14:08

Ooohoo, foot is back! Welcome home senor, good to see some of your astonishing minis again, and be it only the paintjob and base, great!
Hope you can be with us on future painting competitions, would be an honour, and i think i speak for all of the tommies here!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeThu 8 Oct 2015 - 12:42

pretty
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2015 - 15:36

Welcome back, and nice work!

I also got my Kingdom Death stuff recently, it is pretty awesome. Looking forward to see what you will do with the miniatures, I think I need to practice a little to get back into painting before I tackle any of the KD stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Personal Info

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeTue 13 Oct 2015 - 12:27

@floedebolle
Thanks man ^^
Might have to join in the next one, depends if i can throw together some Mordheim stuff or not Wink

@Cap Bernhardt
No you are!

@Eliazar
Thanks Very Happy
Nice! Can totally see where you are coming from, was a little scared to tackle them after only recently coming back to the hobby.

Just a small update this time. Been messing around with how i want to paint most of my kingdom death survivors/monsters.
Decided to go with a OSL style of painting seeing as the game is set in a dark area and most of the models seem to be carrying lanterns. I've messed around with this in the past with my old Undead warband/necro that got me the golden tom and always wanted  to give it another go, so this seems like the right place to do it.
So here is the first model/kind of test,  i'm pretty happy how she turned out even if the photos make the colours look brighter than they actually are. I think the i could of done the skin alot better and i'm sure the next few with be abit smoother like the base/robe etc but pretty pleased with it over all Smile
Anyway onto the (non blurry!) picture eh?

Survivor
Steam and Stone T26L5Xp

Thanks for looking and lemme know what you think! Very Happy
-Foot
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeTue 13 Oct 2015 - 13:19

That's an impressive paintjob on an odd figure. From one side she looks malnourished, on the other side she looks pregnant. I'm not a big fan of the robe she's wearing (or is that her bedlinen?)
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeTue 13 Oct 2015 - 14:12

Fantastic paintjob! I was thinking about the whole OSL thing, can you recommend any tutorial on it?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeTue 13 Oct 2015 - 14:51

That is undoubtedly THE BEST version of that miniature that I have thus far seen. The lighting effect gives a nice warm glow to the skin tones. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Personal Info

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2015 - 12:40

@Cap
Yeah, i can kinda see where you are coming from. I think it might be more of the angles i took the pics from that makes it look her look alil strange, though the kingdom death range has some very odd/strange minis so could just be the sculpting style.

@Elizar
Thanks man Smile
Honestly? Not really lol. I had a look around the net before starting to paint this and all i could really find were airbrush ones or one to do with specific lighting like space marine eyes/plasma guns etc. The Massive Voodoo blog has some nice articles about how lighting works which did give me a better understanding, but over all i just done some google image searches of "OSL miniature painting" and kinda figured it out myself, i would suggest doing the same!
A couple of things i would say to do is to start painting like normal untill you get to about the midtone then start shading and mixing in the glow colour you are trying to achieve into the highlighting, for instance i had a flesh tone then started adding oranges and yellows into the mix. I also kinda looked from the lanterns view(if that makes any sense) and kinda saw where the light would end up, will also give you an idea where shadows would be too. Hopefully that can kinda help Smile

@Deaf
Thank you! You give me too much praise good sir Embarassed

-Foot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steam and Stone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steam and Stone   Steam and Stone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steam and Stone
Page 1 of 1