HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

How varied are you in the warbands you play?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 1:54

Hi all.

I'm interested in knowing how often you tend to switch warband between or during campaigns. Do you have a type/race of warband that you usually stick to or do you like mixing it up? Do you have several ones that you go between?

I've been playing Mordheim for two years now and I think I'm up to 80 games played in total, and somewhere around 60 of those I've played as undead. The rest of the time it's been as several different warbands but never more than a few games as each.

Edit: I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for the thread, please move it if there's somewhere else to put it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 5:30

I have a few core warbands that I have played regularly (Osterlanders, Middenheimers and Dwarfs Treasure Hunters) but I do like to try new warbands (i.e. I've just created a Witch Hunter warband that I'll start using on Friday). I've also played Lizardmen, Dwarf Rangers and Gunnery School of Nuln off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 5:50

Not much a rules discussion is it Deaf Nala? More a general discussion about preferred warbands.

For me my Norsemen will always come first whether it be looting Mordheim, burning the border towns, sacking great Marienburg or exploration beyond.

That said, I play a number of warbands in campaigns and collect even more!

Although I dig all their motives, none of the original Mordheim warbands appeal to my sensibilties, except perhaps the new Cursed Cavalcade for which the would-be duellist in me has urged me to start collecting. I have my original warband of Amazon miniatures which have been played. In addition, I've campaigned extensively with Kislevites (sadly don't have original Mordheim miniatures for these) and Sea Elf Rangers plus a few games played with Forest Goblins in the form of a Flotilla of Swamp Pirates!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/stucrweebo
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 6:33

Thanks for the replies.

I know there's an actual general discussions forum but it is a bit out of sight, enough to make me worry that people wouldn't see the thread. If the thread is moved there I won't complain, though.

Continuing on my own story, I've made several sincere attempts to start up a new warband or two but I always keep coming back to my undead. They just resonate with me. It was the same thing for me in WHFB, I never could get away from vampire counts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 7:07

I can't recall an instance of moving a thread to the general discussion. That's pretty much like being sent to Siberia on this forum.

I tend to play warbands that fit with the theme of the campaign I am running and as the organizer of the campaigns, I like to field warbands that have a natural conflict with the majority of warbands chosen by the rest of the players. Or a warband that fills a niche that no one else will field.

So in Lustria I tend to run Amazons or Lizardmen to make sure that the natives are represented. But if some of my players run those warbands I have run Forest Goblins, Clan Pestilense or Tiieans.

For campaigns set in Araby I have run Tomb Raiders (horrible warband, awful rules), Nomads, Thieves, Smugglers and Turjuks and Ghutani Arab humans. I have also run the Tomb Guardians warband from the original Khemri site. I recommend avoiding the TC version of that warband because it is poorly written.

In Sartosa I have run most of the variations of human pirates, plus the obligatory orc pirates.

For campaigns set in more traditional locales I have run all of the core warbands except Sisters and Skaven (I always run the Pestilens warband if I'm going to play skaven). Non-core warbands include Beastmen, Necarrchs and Kislevites. Lately I have been running Hobbits in Mordheim or Empire in Flames settings campaigns.

Currently I am running a Witch Hunter warband in the Karribean because the campaign has a chaotic theme and when I chose the warband it looked likely that there was only going to be one 'good' warband.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 8:08

Hobbits warband?

I think the fact that non-Rules discussion threads don't get posted & moved to General Discussion section is the reason why this section is dominated by superfluous waffle! :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/stucrweebo
FioredeiLiberi
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:15

Alyways played Reiklanders but tried others for a short time like Undead and Orcs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigD
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 15:39

I've always (>3 years) played witch hunters. Maybe I'm a poor general, but only since the current campaign I'm in, I seem to have found the best combo of equipment, henchmen, skills and hired swords. Next campaign I might try a warband with a different style of play to make for new tactics. It should, however fit in thematucally with my terrain, NPC, objective markers and current warband models. I'm a slow painter, you see ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caledore
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 20:23

I love witch hunters and always find myself coming back to them, but I also enjoy trying new warbands.

I actually started as Marienburg in my first campaign, way back when the game first came out. Since then, I've tried a fair deal of others - witch hunters, undead, orcs, Possessed, and, most recently, Restless Dead. I really enjoy collecting and assembling new bands. I am eyeing a revamped Marienburg band next, with my old leader being the only model carried over from my first band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 1:58

I play Orcs and Goblins.
Pirate Orcs and Goblins mainly but also:

"Witch Hunter" Orcs and Goblins, "Three Musketeer" Orcs and Goblins, and "Alice in Wonderland" Orcs and Goblins.
I owned a couple of other warbands in the past but I didn't really feel right playing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flameon.co.uk
Neidhart
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 4:04

When Mordheim was released I played a Reikland warband (lots of bows), and in the last two years I played Marienburger (lots of handguns) and Norse (close combat glass canon) each about 15 games in campaigns and a few one of games. Now I am starting a Breton warband (cavalry all the way).
Each new warband is a new modelling opportunity to me and enjoy this as much as approaching different styles of play. I think the warband I like best is the one I currently play with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 6:27

werekin wrote:
Not much a rules discussion is it Deaf Nala? More a general discussion about preferred warbands.

You are right on the lack of rules discussion thus far. HOWEVER, it does fit with the games play; i.e., this is a discussion of picking out a War Band for how it will play. If it was tuned to picking out a Gang for how they looked, miniature availability, etc., it would fit better in the Painting & Modeling area.

Normally the only posts I find in the General Discussion are those Bot posts...Nike sneakers being a favorite. The Shout It Out is another section that receives little attention; ergo, I hesitate to move a thread there unless it totally doesn't fit were it was originally posted. A move is meant to garner the greatest attention & response possible to a thread.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 7:57

MasterSpark wrote:
I'm interested in knowing how often you tend to switch warband between or during campaigns. Do you have a type/race of warband that you usually stick to or do you like mixing it up? Do you have several ones that you go between?

Seems like I have about 10 warbands I switch back and forth from. Mostly melee or mixed melee/ranged.

Melee:
Lizardmen (Skink Priest, 4/5 Saurus Heroes and perhaps a Skink Brave/Skink Great Crest)
Undead (Vampire, Necromancer, 0/1 Dregs and 3/4 Ghoul Heroes)
Beastmen (Centigor leader, Shaman, 1/2 Bestigors and 2/3 Gor Heroes - usually Nurgle or Undivided)
Marauders of Chaos (mostly Norse and Tchar, though my first warband ever was the Norse Arkhar Marauders)

Melee/Ranged:
Orcs & Goblins (ranged Boss, 2 ranged/melee Big'Uns, a Shaman with Led'z Go! and 2 Orc Boy Heroes)
Druchii (This is probably mostly ranged and Shornaal when melee)
Wood Elves (Wild Hunter leader, Spellwalker with Fury of the Wild, 2 Pathfinders and 2 Glade Warrior Heroes)
Protectorate of Sigmar (Warrior Priest, Templar, Acolyte, Huntsman and two ranged Crusader Heroes)
Dwarf Rangers (Runesmith, Apprentice Runesmith + 4 ranged Longbeard Heroes)

Ranged:
Dwarf Treasure Hunters (Engineer + 5 ranged Clansman Heroes)

I also play Witch Hunters every now and then, but I do find them a bit boring like the rest of the human warbands. So I rarely play any of the standard human mercenary warbands. I'm not much of a pirate guy either, but that might come one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 11:42

I seldom play anymore but I think I have tried my hand at modeling modt warbands at some point or an other, I seem to have the attention span of a gold fish Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 12:15

Humans, and only humans Smile

I've played Witch hunters, Middenheimers, Merchants, Thieves, some more Mercenaries, and lately started off with Norse explorers, which is the first sort of not human warband - though I themed them as vikings so human enough.
I have a bunch of dwarves and elves for warbands though, but only my friends who don't collect figures play with those. - I am thinking of an all goblin or hobbit warband though Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 16:39

I have played a wide variety of bands through the years. Reiklanders, Sisters of Sigmar, Shadow elves (only in collaborative games as they are a bit OP as written), dwarf treasure hunters, Marienburgers and Skaven probably most frequently, although I have also played Middenheimers, Orcs, Undead, Lizzards, Bretonnians, pirates, and dark elves. Never played the Chaos bands or the Witch Hunters. Actually I take that back - I have played the beastmen some (never very successfully, mind you).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Tue 25 Aug 2015 - 1:15

Lots of replies here!

I see that there are others like me who like one warband more than the rest. The biggest problem (or "problem") for me is that I've created so much soul with my undead that it feels kind of empty to play anything else. I personally don't mind playing the same type of warband again and again since it always pans out different and I've also taken it through several model revisions so the hobby side is still being satisfied. However, I'm concerned that my opponents might become bored of fighting the same warband over and over so I am looking for a second warband to bring some variety. The struggle is real.

Thanks again for the replies, it's interesting to read the different takes. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caledore
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Tue 25 Aug 2015 - 9:12

There's enough randomness in Mordheim that I've found that playing the same warband never feels the same after a few games. I've never found it boring to play against the "same" warband in multiple campaigns either.

I've made multiple model revisions with my Witch Hunters, so I agree that it can keep things fresh from the hobby aspect. I have four warrior priest models alone. Themed hired swords have given me even more opportunities to keep working on my witch hunters (working on a flagellant ogre atm) - though not all warbands have as many hired sword choices.

I do enjoy building new warbands, but I definitely relate to a single warband resonating with you and wanting to stick to that. If you enjoy it, I see no problem with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigD
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Tue 25 Aug 2015 - 15:40

If you want to keep using undead models, you could use the rules of other warbands, but with the same undead models. For example; an all-ghoul warband using beastmen rules or human mercenaries as strigany lead by a vampire thrall and with a wizard hired sword as necromancer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 18:31

When I first started way back in 1999 I played Skaven because I had a Skaven Bloodbowl team. After a few campaigns I abandoned them after a few years because we found that, although they often started strong, they tended to plateau in the end-phase of the campaigns. I then took up Marienburg and felt they had a better end-game than the Skaven.

After one particular campaign I ended up with 6 heroes on warhorses that each had at least 2 spells each, gromril armour, assorted melee weapons, and both my leader and one other marksman had a sniper rifle. When they retired we made their back-story be that they went to the Border Princes area and found a new college of Magic. I made an Empire army based on that concept (archers, handgunners, pistoleers - all wizards with staffs and wands, etc) which in turn led to me making a Wizard warband.

Then I saw these guys here:

and had to make an orc warband. I added the Good Old GW Orc Shaman to use as the shaman. For obvious reasons Razz. None of those pics are my paint job. I am not nearly as good.

At some point I aquired (I have no idea from where *shrug*) a set of rabbits with chainmail and shields with carrots on them so I made a Beastman warband around them. The rabbits are Ungors, normal goat beastmen are the Gors, I made a wolf Chieftan, fox Shaman, bear Minotaur, panther Centaur and a pair of eagle Bestigors. I never use it, but it occasionally sees the light of day when someone needs to borrow a warband and don't want Skaven or Human.

These days I mostly use my Wizards or Orcs if playing within my local group or my Marienburgers, Ostlanders (dressed up as Marienburgers), or Orcs if I am playing somewhere that only allows official warbands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 21:25

I really want to see photos of the beastman warband.

Well at least the rabbits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 21:45

I won't be able to do that for a while, sadly. When I came to America all I brought were my Orcs, Wizards, and Marienburgers. I had to leave behind my spare warbands and all my NPC's (Random Bad-thing models, etc.) behind in New Zealand. They are in a box waiting for me to get the money to have them sent over.

On the plus-side, I have a decent job now so it will probably be sooner rather than later that I get them Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Sat 29 Aug 2015 - 3:18

I have played Ostlanders, Black Dwarfs and now I'm working on my River Watchmen for Mutiny in Marienburg.

I've managed to do a few games with the River Watch so far, which resulted in getting my Watch Captain (leader) killed in the first or second game. My Priest of Manann got to be promoted to a Cleric-Captain of Manann, though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pfreck.tumblr.com
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 8:47

I switch back and forth between warbands pretty regularly. My group's campaigns only last 4 months, and we're only allowed to play up to 4 games per warband per month (to keep those of us who are perhaps a bit overzealous from getting too far ahead). Due to this, I usually end up running at least two warbands at a time.

Current rotation: Orcs (ranged), Skaven, Carnival of Chaos, Cult of the Possessed, Dwarves

On the benches (aka works in progress): Pitfighters (using Beastmen rules), Undead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 13:08

I own and have played lots of warbands. I love to switch warbands in open campaign modus.

I played Marienburger, Possessed, Dwarfs, Undead , Chapel Guard ( Bretonnia variant), Ogre Maneaters, Chaos Marauders, Skaven, Orcs, Pit Fighter, Beastmen, Kislevites, Dark Elves, Dwarf Runesmith, Dwarf Pirates, Pirates, Arabian Nomads and Reiklander. Maybe I have forgotten some of my warbands Very Happy

I have not played too many bands in the end game, but I always had lots of fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How varied are you in the warbands you play?   Today at 2:35

Back to top Go down

How varied are you in the warbands you play?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next