Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

Trading Reputation : 0

Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Empty
PostSubject: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2015 - 11:28

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about splashing out on of of these gaming mats and was wondering what size I should go for:

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-4-x4-cobblestone-theme

I'm assuming 4'x4' is the usual... would I ever need 6'x4'?

Cheers,

Jed
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2015 - 14:50

Yes, you'll need the 6'x4' for any multiplayer Mordheim games.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2015 - 15:41

By multiplayer you mean more than 1 v 1?
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2015 - 15:49

Yes. At my club, we mostly play multiplayer Mordheim using the "Chaos on the Streets" rules from the Mordheim Annual as people seem to prefer it to one-on-one games.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2015 - 16:06

Okay. I've got a 6x4 modular playing area made up of 3x 4'x2' table sections and 2' grass polystyrene tiles that I use for Bolt Action. I think I'm more tempted to go for a 4'x4' mat playing on 2 of my tables and then simply place it on top of the 6'x4' grass area for larger games, setting the grass areas as fields or parkland on the outskirts of a city. If I go for a 6'x4' mat then I'll either always have to set up a 6'x4' area or have it drooping over a 4'x4' table area.

Decisions... decisions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2015 - 6:15

I'd go with the 4x4. We mostly play 3 player games if we have more than 2 players. 3 player or 4 player games are much easier on a 4x4 table than 4x6 (at least if you like games where players are involved in the battle rather than hiding off in a corner or trekking across 4' of empty table to reach an enemy.)

Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2015 - 16:24

I'm with Von Kurst. The only time we upgrade games at my club to 6x4 is when we have 5+ people involved. And in that situation your plan to include the grassy area sounds like it'll work great.

And I've got that mat, it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2015 - 18:06

What material did you get? I'm leaning towards the mouse pad version.
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2015 - 16:20

Ooh, they didn't have the mousepad version when I ordered mine. I'd definitely go with that. The PVC is fine, but super thin, so it feels flimsier than it is and can hold creases.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2015 - 9:50

I went for the mousepad version in the end, 4'x4', along with a nice 3'x3' one for X Wing Smile I am patiently awaiting for it to arrive, should be a couple of weeks at the most...
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2015 - 13:59

I just ordered the cobblestone and cobblestone streets mousepad mats on the strength of this thread. The 4'x4' versions as you chaps convinced me they'd do even for multiplayer Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
Unwanted
Warlord
Warlord
Unwanted

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Sep 2015 - 10:08

I can't seem to figure out where you see the Mousepad-versions, but I could just be blind. Is it an option after you add it to your cart?
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Sep 2015 - 13:27

No, it should be an option in the drop down menu just above the "Add to cart" button like it is for the cobblestone streets mat.

Could be that the cobblestone mats are out of stock or being redone. I'd drop them an email, if I was you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?   Gaming mat options - what size should I go for? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaming mat options - what size should I go for?
Page 1 of 1